ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Suggest struts

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-24, 11:33 AM
HafPint
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggest struts

I replaced my 02 Lexus ES300 quick struts with the original Lexus springs and purchased 2 KYB front end struts. My car now rides so rough until it feels like there's nothing there. I spent a nice penny replacing the original springs and the KYB's wasn't cheap either, any suggestion on how to get my smooth ride back? ]
Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 454 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by HafPint
I replaced my 02 Lexus ES300 quick struts with the original Lexus springs and purchased 2 KYB front end struts. My car now rides so rough until it feels like there's nothing there. I spent a nice penny replacing the original springs and the KYB's wasn't cheap either, any suggestion on how to get my smooth ride back? ]
You might want to ask in the correct subforum, ask a fresh question instead of dredging up a long-dead thread.

A lot of us have owned that gen ES a long time; we have one w/340k on it now. It drives, rides, and looks great. Factory spring rebuild with KYB shocks make most people quite happy. Moog makes a decent replacement rear spring if the backs are shot (I and others are using them). The rear springs fail after higher mileage, the fronts never seem to fail. If you have all Lexus springs, and KYB shocks, and it feels bad - then something has been overlooked - upper mounts, busted control arms, etc.

Last edited by Oro; Today at 10:37 AM.
Old Today, 12:11 PM
HafPint
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happened to just being nice

I asked a question just because I don't have a mechanical background, I simply wanted to share my experiences with other parts I've tried and efforts I've made to correct my problems, but commenting on dreching was not nice, I appreciate your input regarding your experiences, why couldn't you just do the same?
Old Today, 02:41 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 454 Likes on 394 Posts

I asked a question just because I don't have a mechanical background, I simply wanted to share my experiences with other parts I've tried and efforts I've made to correct my problems, but commenting on dreching was not nice, I appreciate your input regarding your experiences, why couldn't you just do the same?
Because dredging up six, seven year-dead threads wastes forum members time, clawing down to find a new questions. It’s standard practice. Perhaps you are new to the internet and forums - but complaining when someone tries to help you is quite poor form. As you can see, a mod calved your post off the necro thread you pulled off and moved it to try to help and make it more relevant.

People are trying to help you; why not just accept that and not be confrontational?

Old Today, 03:59 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

any suggestion on how to get my smooth ride back? ]
Do you still have the original springs? They rarely go bad. KYB is simply too stiff they are a bad match to the OE springs. I've heard good things about Sachs struts as far as ride quality goes (not complete units just the strut) and of course there is OEM if available. If they are I suspect they are expensive, the ones I've sourced recently are 3x what they were about 5 years ago.
Old Today, 04:05 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

.... was curious so I checked

https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsda...520-39435.html
https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsda...510-80037.html
https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsda...540-39395.html
https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsda...530-39765.html

Not terrible but don't know about availability. Coils are NLA I tried recently to get a pair due one being broken (rust from road salt).
Old Today, 04:38 PM
ES300TX
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good afternoon. I had a 2003 ES300. I replaced my original struts in 2018 with KYBs. Unfortunately, the job got botched up pretty good at two subsequent shops. No one could get the springs to seat properly on the stupid KYB shocks. I had also replaced the strut bearings with new Toyota ones, and the thing still turned out crappy.

As a last resort, I got Monroe Quick Struts to put on the front. I drove the car 65000 miles without incident. No noise, no rattling. No issues.

To save everyone their precious time, I'll suggest the Monroe quick struts. I had NO issues with them and the car delivered a satisfactory ride. It was close to OEM.

I'm surprised that your car isn't some kind of rattle box with the struts disassembled and then "refreshed" with new dampers. That crap never worked for me.

I have also tried Advance Auto Strut assemblies on a different car. They were okay, but I know the Monroes are good for this car.