LC Model (2018-present)

HELP!! Touchpad and Surrounding Buttons Difficult to Press

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
ISellHomes
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation HELP!! Touchpad and Surrounding Buttons Difficult to Press

It appears that the previous owner of my new 2021 LC500 Convertible spilled something on and around the touchpad as a number of buttons as well as the trackpad itself are difficult to press (unless the car has been sitting in the sun). I don't mind taking things apart to fully address it, but is it worth it compared to simply trying to clean the buttons as is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM
Enzo954
Intermediate

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ISellHomes
It appears that the previous owner of my new 2021 LC500 Convertible spilled something on and around the touchpad as a number of buttons as well as the trackpad itself are difficult to press (unless the car has been sitting in the sun). I don't mind taking things apart to fully address it, but is it worth it compared to simply trying to clean the buttons as is?

Thank you!
I don't see how you'll be able to clean underneath those buttons and track pad without removing and disassembling them. Hopefully it won't be too difficult. I know that whole center section pops right off. Not certain about the buttons and trackpad though.
Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM
NickL
Racer

Received 428 Likes on 275 Posts

Try some rubbing alcohol. Sometimes the alcohol is enough to dissolve the sticky substance.
Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM
Mrbungle11
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ISellHomes

Thank you!

get a steam gun that would remove and melt the stain without taking apart the the whole centerpiece
Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 281 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrbungle11
get a steam gun that would remove and melt the stain without taking apart the the whole centerpiece
You'd have to be extremely careful with steam - it can cause an abundance of additional issues if you don't apply it properly, particularly on electronics.
Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM
kirkd1
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrbungle11
Using hot water on electrical components and switches sounds like trouble to me. Maybe some electrical contact cleaner applied carefully with caution! You don't want it to get on console parts either.
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM
CaryCatch
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

You can try DeoXIT Fader FN5 spray contact cleaner
Old Today, 12:12 PM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 180 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by kirkd1
Using hot water on electrical components and switches sounds like trouble to me. Maybe some electrical contact cleaner applied carefully with caution! You don't want it to get on console parts either.
thats what i would use based on facts given.