LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Scanner recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-24 | 05:45 PM
Scotty15
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Scanner recommendation

The HVAC controls on my 2007 LS460 are acting up. Doing the try to startup then fail. Then if you turn it back on it goes into default mode. Can anyone recommend a scanner that will diag this and if need be test and re calibrate the servos? My gut feel is a bad servo.

Thanks in advance,

John
Old 10-01-24 | 07:50 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,311 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Welcome to the forum. This question has been posted many times. There's no right answer. Do a search of the forum, you'll likely walk away confused, or look at scanners on web that are for Toyota/Lexus in the $400-700 range and go to manufacturers website. Keep in mind that electronics improve every year and brands that were not recommended a few years ago, may be fine now.
Old 10-01-24 | 03:23 PM
Scotty15
10th Gear

I did exactly as you suggested. And indeed walked away a bit fuzzy. I've been a member for many years. Lurker. There is so much good info here. I see many Techstream devices on eBay that are supposedly the factory tool. But it's all a bit sketchy as to what version does what and whether or not it will work.
Old 10-01-24 | 05:32 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,311 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty15
I did exactly as you suggested. And indeed walked away a bit fuzzy. I've been a member for many years. Lurker. There is so much good info here. I see many Techstream devices on eBay that are supposedly the factory tool. But it's all a bit sketchy as to what version does what and whether or not it will work.
They are pirate copies with limited function. The software can have viruses. The cable may not work properly. There are members who have used these with great success, but I get the impression they've had it for several years and time brings junk to the market. The real program and cable are on the Techstream website
Have you done the part where I suggested you do a search on the web for compatible scanners. They're not pirated and do work as described. You can also get a refund..
Old Today | 06:49 PM
Marc780
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

The HVAC controls on my 2007 LS460 are acting up. Doing the try to startup then fail. Then if you turn it back on it goes into default mode. Can anyone recommend a scanner that will diag this and if need be test and re calibrate the servos? My gut feel is a bad servo.

Thanks in advance,

John
Having tried all the cheap "scanners" finally had enough and decided to get a real one the Xtool D7. I can't tell you much about it since I just ordered and don't have it yet...After watching several videos this thing seems a lot more powerful, more intuitive, and user friendly especially than the cheapos are. but, I watched some YT videos of Kilmer, and Car Care Nut, both raving about this less costly scanner. I have seen used ones when I checked (yesterday 10-7-2024) for as low as $260 on the bay; but I opted to just get a new one.

If you are thinking about buying this, email them xtooldirect@outlook.com with your VIN and tell them what you want to do and they will tell you if this scanner can do it.

Xtool DB7 scan tool/scanner

Xtool also makes one that can supposedly do even more somehow and that one is around $500. But with this D7 model, you can diagnose and turn off CEL codes, test fuel injectors, bleed your own brakes (a scanner is required on my Lexus just to do that) and you can even make your own FOB keys. There's another video on YT where a guy shows how he makes himself a spare key, using this tool.
Old Today | 07:11 PM
Scotty15
10th Gear

Default Scanner / HVAC issues.

Ok so obtained Techstream. Got it running on a Linux laptop of all things. Cheap cable and all. A bit finicky, but reads and controls all. I get a B1497 Lost Communication LC. So it seems as if the AC module is having trouble talking to one of the servos? I don't have a scope. At this point I guess I'll take some resistance / voltage readings after tearing the dash part. Anyone else seen this? Pointers? Techstream was pretty insistent on CANBUS errors. Everything else works fine.

Thanks,

John
Old Today | 08:42 PM
Marc780
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Ok so obtained Techstream. Got it running on a Linux laptop of all things. Cheap cable and all....Pointers? Techstream was pretty insistent on CANBUS errors. Everything else works fine.

Thanks,

John
John I tried using such plug-in techstream devices, android phone apps, and of course tried to do it all low cost and got the results you'd probably expect, trying to save money with some half-baked device. I couldn't begin to figure them out, with a text only screen etc., and they couldn't even do anything I'd want a scanner to do anyway like bleed the brakes, which you can't do without Techstream or equivalent.
If I get just a CEL on the dash, and it's only one code, my 10 year old OBD scanner i got for $25 will at least tell me the code, flash three times and turn off the light. I'm not familiar with the device you are trying to use, if some device in between the OBD port and my laptop would do what an XTech could do of course I'd use it but every cheap thing I've tried so far is useless, that's why I bought the Xtech 7. Going to try it for a few weeks and if it doesn't do what they say it can, at least I have 30 days to send it back.