LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I just hit a deer.. I really hope my F Sport isn't totalled...

Search this Thread

Old Today, 05:34 AM
Nyaa
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default I just hit a deer.. I really hope my F Sport isn't totalled...

I just hit a deer at around 55 MPH. The car is pretty banged up. The passenger headlight, fender, grill, hood, and possibly the door are all damaged. The airbags did not deploy. The car is still drivable.

I have just over 77,500 mi on the car now. I believe the bank valued it at around 28K when I bought it a few months ago when it had 72,000 mi on it. Hopefully this doesn't total it out but I know these parts are not cheap. Plus, I'm worried about color matching. I'm not sure how well they will be able to blend the paint...

And I just managed to get an appointment set up with the carcare nut on the 22nd. I guess I'll probably have to cancel that...

Pictures in spoiler tag.
Spoiler

​​​​​

Last edited by Nyaa; Today at 07:43 AM.
Old Today, 06:35 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 481 Likes on 355 Posts

Nyaa

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you are safe. If I had to make a bet I would advise you to kiss her goodbye. Based on the damages you listed I will be very surprised if the insurance company does not total it. Sorry

Dennis
Old Today, 07:36 AM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 333 Posts

I know you probably want to keep the car, and I don't know how long you want to keep it, but the resale value will really be diminished when you go to sell or trade it in.
The following users liked this post:
napamikey (Today)
Old Today, 07:42 AM
Nyaa
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Nyaa

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you are safe. If I had to make a bet I would advise you to kiss her goodbye. Based on the damages you listed I will be very surprised if the insurance company does not total it. Sorry

Dennis
That's what I'm afraid of. I included pictures in the spoiler so you can take a look.
Old Today, 07:43 AM
Nyaa
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I know you probably want to keep the car, and I don't know how long you want to keep it, but the resale value will really be diminished when you go to sell or trade it in.
I was planning to keep it a long long time. Honestly, I wanted to hang on to it until I'm too old to drive lol, even as I buy other cars. So I'm not really worried about the resale value.
Nospinzone (Today)
Old Today, 08:47 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Might be dead from that depending on paint costs/how particular you are wanting it to match
Old Today, 08:55 AM
WisBad
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

This was $9800.00 deer hit... Whole front right, fender, bumper cover, fog lights, grill, hood. Replaced with all new parts. Keep that car forever!!! I just cross 305,000 miles!!

The following 2 users liked this post by WisBad:
Nospinzone (Today), Nyaa (Today)
Old Today, 10:37 AM
Nyaa
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Striker223
Might be dead from that depending on paint costs/how particular you are wanting it to match
​​​​​​Well, I guess it depends on what the insurance company says. To be honest, if I can save it by throwing a little of my own cash at it I will. I don't know how that whole process works. To be honest, I've never had to make a an accident claim on my insurance. The only time I ever wrecked a car was when I was in my teens and only had liability lol.

Originally Posted by WisBad
This was $9800.00 deer hit... Whole front right, fender, bumper cover, fog lights, grill, hood. Replaced with all new parts. Keep that car forever!!! I just cross 305,000 miles!!
Thank you for that. It gives me a bit of hope. How old was the car and how many miles did it have on it at the time?

One thing that does concern me is this is an F Sport. I'm assuming the front bumper costs a lot more.

Upon closer examination I think the door might be okay. I can't open it safely without risking damage because the fender is pinched on top of it but it looks like it is just ever so slightly touching it. So maybe it just needs a tiny bit of paint touch up.
Old Today, 10:55 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

If the car is considered totaled you have the option to take cash and keep the car but the amount will obviously be lower than if the car is totaled and towed away. Many people do this so they can keep the car and fix it themselves, or fix some things and have a body shop do others. My prediction is insurance will consider the car a total loss.
Old Today, 11:20 AM
WisBad
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Question: How old was the car and how many miles did it have on it at the time?

That was in Sept. 2017 with ~120k on the car...
The back story was that in July of 2017, ~250 miles earlier, we had this deer hit for $8400.00.

Needed the hood, grill, front bumper cover, crossover bracing under the hood and some light body damage on the driver door from where the deer cartwheeled over the car and took the drivers mirror off.
Wisconsin flying deer for sure!
They painted the entire front clip including the drive door.
Insurance fully covered both accidents, to the tune of $18,000.00
It was like the paint wasn't even dry when I called on the second hit.
Super excellent work by the body shop.
It's been an excellent car to drive... So, keep that car FOREVER!

Nyaa (Today)
Old Today, 11:43 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 874 Likes on 645 Posts

That's really not much damage, you're better off to just pay for it yourself if that keeps it off the carfax.

And I just managed to get an appointment set up with the carcare nut on the 22nd. I guess I'll probably have to cancel that...

Dodged a bullet there

Old Today, 04:30 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyaa
I just hit a deer at around 55 MPH. The car is pretty banged up. The passenger headlight, fender, grill, hood, and possibly the door are all damaged. The airbags did not deploy. The car is still drivable.

I have just over 77,500 mi on the car now. I believe the bank valued it at around 28K when I bought it a few months ago when it had 72,000 mi on it. Hopefully this doesn't total it out but I know these parts are not cheap. Plus, I'm worried about color matching. I'm not sure how well they will be able to blend the paint...

​​​​​
Glad to hear you are OK. If there is no frame/chassis damage or damage to suspension or engine components, you may want to hold on to the car and get it fixed even if the insurance company totals it. You cannot find a comparable car or ride for 20K (my damage estimate). After all, you were planning to keep it for a long time. Good luck.
Old Today, 04:58 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 59 Posts

your insurance company works for you, it would be different if it was the deer insurance co.
guessing deer had no insurance. you should be fine