IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Can dealers redirect cars in build phase or in transit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-24, 12:47 PM
djarchow
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can dealers redirect cars in build phase or in transit?

I am shopping for a new IS 350. There are limited cars out there within 500 miles of me that have the handling package, Mark Levinson etc. Of the ones that are out there, half are in build phase or in transit. My dealer is trying to find one he can trade or purchase from another dealer. Assuming my dealer can find another dealer with a car in build phase that is willing to trade or transfer it, is it possible to redirect a car in build phase or in transit to my dealer? I assume it is possible when the car is still being built but what about once it is in transit?

Thanks for any info!
Old 10-03-24, 07:36 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 891 Likes on 671 Posts

Dealer trades traditionally happen when the car is physically "on ground" and somebody drives both ways.
Lexus will allow redirects to be programmed so "in transit" cars are delivered to another dealer. There is
an administration fee charged now but it's cheaper than the gas/tolls/hourly pay/insurance/time of driving.
All Dealer Trades involve the cooperation of both dealers...what do you have to trade back? A highly desired
model/option list car will generally mandate a equally desirable vehicle back (not necessarily the same model)
Old 10-03-24, 09:17 PM
djarchow
7th Gear

Thanks for the reply. Today my dealer was able to find another dealer who was willing to trade. It wasn't my first color choice (infrared) but was my second choice (ultrasonic.) The car is in transit, and they should know tomorrow if the other dealer wants to trade for one of their in-stock inventory or do an allocation trade. I am hoping they will do the allocation trade and redirect the car to my dealer as then I wouldn't have to pay the fee for trailering the car between the dealers, just the administration fee you mentioned.
Old 10-04-24, 06:05 AM
spielnicht
Driver

Received 81 Likes on 27 Posts

Depending on your adventurous spirit. I would buy the right car even if it's 1000 miles away and drive it back myself. It'll make for a fun adventure and memorable experience. I did this for 2 cars I bought - one all way in Seattle and another in upstate NY. I still reminisce about those trips.

I was honestly set to do the same with my IS but I got crazy lucky with my local dealer getting a USB out of the blue (no pun intended).
The following users liked this post:
NYIS300awdFS (10-04-24)
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
djarchow
7th Gear

Originally Posted by djarchow
Today my dealer was able to find another dealer who was willing to trade. It wasn't my first color choice (infrared) but was my second choice (ultrasonic.) The car is in transit, and they should know tomorrow if the other dealer wants to trade for one of their in-stock inventory or do an allocation trade.
Well maybe I don't have the Ultrasonic after all, and maybe I am getting Infrared, which was my first choice....or maybe not. The dealer called me this morning and said the dealer that had agreed to trade the Ultrasonic was maybe hedging on the deal. However, my dealer said that another Lexus store with the same owner as them, had an allocation for an Infrared (my first choice) that had just entered the build phase, and he would call me back shortly with more details on potential arrival dates. I didn't hear back from him, so I called, and he said that the now other dealership with the Infrared may have a customer that wanted an Infrared with white interior, and they are seeing if they would want the black interior that is being built. So I guess I keep waiting.
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM
LexusForever
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by djarchow
Well maybe I don't have the Ultrasonic after all, and maybe I am getting Infrared, which was my first choice....or maybe not. The dealer called me this morning and said the dealer that had agreed to trade the Ultrasonic was maybe hedging on the deal. However, my dealer said that another Lexus store with the same owner as them, had an allocation for an Infrared (my first choice) that had just entered the build phase, and he would call me back shortly with more details on potential arrival dates. I didn't hear back from him, so I called, and he said that the now other dealership with the Infrared may have a customer that wanted an Infrared with white interior, and they are seeing if they would want the black interior that is being built. So I guess I keep waiting.
Fyi, 2025 was just announced.
Old Today, 05:13 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusForever
Fyi, 2025 was just announced.
But there are literally no changes except for the power folding mirrors and BBS wheels (which the latter is not new to the IS) that’s hardly an incentive to wait when you could secure a better deal on a 24. It’s exactly the same car.

OP don’t be surprised if the dealer who has the car backs out at the last minute saying oh I have a buyer for the car here. It’s best to buy directly from them. There really not that far from you. Most dealers will even ship the car to you just to get that sale.

Last edited by Xanadu350; Today at 05:17 AM.
Old Today, 05:14 AM
LexusForever
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
But there are literally no changes except for the power folding mirrors and BBS wheels (which the latter is not new to the IS) that’s hardly an incentive to wait when you could secure a better deal on a 24. It’s exactly the same car.
Some folks may want the folding mirrors.

I'll be securing the 25 myself.