LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2004 LS430 Unknown Audio System (Non-Nav ML or 7-Speaker Pioneer)

Search this Thread

Old Today, 10:26 AM
OutboundSphinx4
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 LS430 Unknown Audio System (Non-Nav ML or 7-Speaker Pioneer)

I recently bought a 2004 Lexus LS430 which has been passed down through my family from my grandpa who custom ordered it from the dealer. One of the things I am trying to restore/upgrade is the audio system (seeing that two of the speakers are starting to die, and the sub is forming a slight rattle. After spending well over 2 hours searching Google images, and this forum, I can't seem to find which sound system I have, and the specs to go along with it. For the car, it was specifically ordered without navigation, but with the cassette player, and based on the window sticker, it has the 7 speaker sound system instead of the 5 (4 + 1 sub) which typically comes on Pioneer system.

As seen in the pictures below, this is a non-nav model with 4 door speakers, 2 tweeters, and a rear deck sub, however, nothing is specifying that it is the ML edition audio. With this in mind, would anyone be able to tell me which sound system I have (Pioneer or ML); or if it is one of the weird Pioneer systems with 7 speakers, can someone inform me if the specs are different? I have only looked into subwoofers and so far have noticed a major difference between the sub requirements for Pioneer and ML systems (4ohm DVS vs 16ohm SVS), and only assume there are more differences such as speaker size, wattage, ohms, and types of speakers (dual mid/tweeter vs standard mid in doors). I am at a total loss for the specifications I should look for if I want to replace all of the speakers.

On top of this, Crutchfield only has two options for identifying speaker locations, nav, or no-nav, which worries me as if I select the "Nav" option, it will assume I have the ML edition and give me speakers with those specs instead of the pioneer requirements. Also, the volume **** on my head unit is broken, so links to any radios (OEM w/ this spec or recommended aftermarket ones (with car play) that won't lead me down a wiring harness rabbit hole) are welcome as I currently am using an FM Transmitter which is most likely deteriorating the sound quality, limiting volume, and decreasing total base output for some reason.

Old Today, 12:42 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 168 Posts

If it were ML it would say and charge for. Subwoofer connector is pretty easy to get without modifications to measure the dc resistance which is the same as the ac impedance of voice coil. Foam for sub can be replaced and mod in package tray to get it out simple would never be seen. In replacing any speaker verify the impedance. Re foam kits are available for the whole car so speakers generally don't need replacement.
Also this car is old enough and aftermarket systems work with oem harness that new harness plugs into. As for volume control not working maybe contact cleaner would fix.

Last edited by alextv; Today at 12:47 PM.
Old Today, 02:56 PM
OutboundSphinx4
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alextv
If it were ML it would say and charge for. Subwoofer connector is pretty easy to get without modifications to measure the dc resistance which is the same as the ac impedance of voice coil. Foam for sub can be replaced and mod in package tray to get it out simple would never be seen. In replacing any speaker verify the impedance. Re foam kits are available for the whole car so speakers generally don't need replacement.
Also this car is old enough and aftermarket systems work with oem harness that new harness plugs into. As for volume control not working maybe contact cleaner would fix.
Hi, yes, I figured ML would be on the invoice, I just thought it was strange that it had 7 speakers when the bit of research I saw showed that the "Premium" (Pioneer) system typically had 5. And I just wanted to confirm if:
1) the 4 door speakers and the sub had the same specifications as the Pioneer systems (Such as the sub having to be a 4ohm dual voice coil sub, instead of the 16 ohm single coil on the ML) and not other specs for the 5 main speakers (not including the front corner tweeters). I could probably go out with my multimeter and test all of them, but figured someone would have a chart, or know of them off the top of their head.
2) Seeing this is a non-ML, what the tweeters are, knowing that I have found almost no information online on what specific speakers the tweeters are (unless they are the same as the ML)

As for the sub recommendation, thank you. I might go with that option depending on how things play out. The only difference is I listen to a lot of bass heavy music, so upgrading to a stronger sub while maintaining the quality of the OEM is definitely in my list of wants. But you are right, a lot of options seem plug and play.

For the head unit, the volume **** physically broke the connection from the unit itself, so I am limited to steering wheel controls. For the head unit, yeah, I have seen plenty of double dim ones that work, but I have heard horror stories of people installing after-market units into a non-nav and requiring custom harness adapters and the such. Didn't know if that was still a problem