RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

P0715 turbine input speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM
Vinnyg1994
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0715 turbine input speed sensor

Hi, all was wondering if anyone delt with this code and happens to know the location of this speed sensor on the transmission. I havent found anything on it. I been searching for a couple of days.
Old Today, 05:49 AM
carguy75
Advanced

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts

The transmission speed sensor is located in the transmission just behind the valve body it seem for the 6 speed automatic; so not easy to access. The 8 speed automatic has three speed sensors located on the outside of the case; which seem easier to replace.

The following users liked this post:
Vinnyg1994 (Today)
Old Today, 05:53 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,211 Likes on 1,035 Posts

This transmission model is the U660E.
From the linked article at page 8 in Gears Magazine (for transmission repair pros) it appears this part is inside the transmission. See figure 7A which shows the part that shows up when I did a Google search for U660E turbine input speed sensor. https://www.ebay.com/itm/25569033144...0aAlatEALw_wcB

​​​​​​https://gearsmagazine.com/resources/..._all%20nbg.pdf

If that part is bad, it is highly likely you have other serious problems with that transmission and the huge cost will be taking it apart. Then you are looking at a rebuild because why take it apart to replace one part and hope the rest works on a high mileage trans? Your solenoids, valve bodies, clutches, springs etc could all be shot as could the rear bearing, a known wear item.

The facts to help diagnose it are, how many miles are on this RX? Has the transmission fluid ever been changed? Or has it recently been changed? How does it run?

Are you prepared to get a used replacement transmission as that has a high level of probability.
See this video:
​​​​​​
Vinnyg1994 (Today)
Old Today, 06:17 AM
carguy75
Advanced

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
This transmission model is the U660E.
From the linked article at page 8 in Gears Magazine (for transmission repair pros) it appears this part is inside the transmission. See figure 7A which shows the part that shows up when I did a Google search for U660E turbine input speed sensor. https://www.ebay.com/itm/25569033144...0aAlatEALw_wcB

​​​​​​https://gearsmagazine.com/resources/..._all%20nbg.pdf

If that part is bad, it is highly likely you have other serious problems with that transmission and the huge cost will be taking it apart. Then you are looking at a rebuild because why take it apart to replace one part and hope the rest works on a high mileage trans? Your solenoids, valve bodies, clutches, springs etc could all be shot as could the rear bearing, a known wear item.

The facts to help diagnose it are, how many miles are on this RX? Has the transmission fluid ever been changed? Or has it recently been changed? How does it run?

Are you prepared to get a used replacement transmission as that has a high level of probability.
See this video:
​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOiAt4ZYsA4
Well, sometimes you can just replace a bad electrical component and hopefully solve the current issue until something else pop up. A used replacement transmission is on borrowed time and could have an even worst more expensive issue than the original not in the too distant future after installing it.

Changing the speed sensor(6 speed) is not that bad of repair and just require a tad bit more work than changing an transmission filter. I feel it would be worth the effort if a new speed sensor can solve the issue. I DIY my repairs so it would be worth a try for myself, however if you are paying a mechanic then it could be a waste of money if the speed sensor does not solve the problem. At that point it would be best to just have the transmission properly rebuilt. Avoid buying a used transmission.

Here is how to replace the speed sensor. Not a hard DIY repair on the U660(E or F).

Last edited by carguy75; Today at 06:22 AM.
Vinnyg1994 (Today)
Old Today, 08:02 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

@carguy75, thanks for that info! I don't suppose you have the assembly instructions with torque values for all the bolts to put it back together?

Last edited by afpj; Today at 08:17 AM.
Old Today, 08:49 AM
Vinnyg1994
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car currently has 137,555 miles on it.
i believe the fluid has been changed before