GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS450H timing chain issue now causing P0A0F, C1241, C1259, C1289

Search this Thread

Old Today, 09:55 AM
AviGS
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation GS450H timing chain issue now causing P0A0F, C1241, C1259, C1289

Hi all,

I have owned a 2007 Lexus GS450H since 2015 and the car never gave me any serious issues. All it required was oil changes, brakes, tires, rotors. Recently as I was driving, the car started to shake as if it was misfiring. Got home and plugged in the OBDII to find codes P0302, P0304, P0306, P0345, P3190 come up which tells me something is wrong with bank 2 cylinders and camshaft sensor. Tried to start the car few times and engine kept cutting off, almost as if the car knew something was wrong and cut the fuel line, THANK YOU LEXUS for the ingenuity. Thought it was bad spark plugs or a bad solenoid due to low oil pressure so did oil change, changed solenoid but still got misfires and code P0345 and car would shut off after 10 seconds of starting. There were tiny fragments of metal in the old oil that were visible to the eye which leads me to believe the chain was eating at the camshaft gears. Took the car to a mechanic and he said its most likely the timing chain because the car grunts to start and shuts off after 10 seconds once started. also the metal in the oil was likely the chain grinding against the gears with insufficient oil. My engine oil was low and I didnt even realize so likely that was the cause of this whole mess. He said a timing chain job would be 2-3 days as he would need to remove the whole front engine to get to the timing valve cover. Prob around a $2K job here in NY.

The main issue experienced with all of this is: Before I took the car to the mechanic, I tried starting it a few times to check if symptoms were consistent and after 3 starts, the car wouldn't start and I didn't get a "READY" light. I presume the 12V battery was getting discharged as once I shut off the car, wheel did not adjust. The dashboard showed CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM, CHECK ECB, CHECK VSC. I got codes C1241, C1259 and C1289. My question is, are these collateral codes caused by the timing chain going bad, making the engine not start and discharging the HV battery? Would this cause the ABS actuator to throw code C1259? Or can it be HV battery is degrading now from not being charged by petroleum engine and I need new HV battery? If so, how do I go about fixing?

I am doing an engine swap from another GS450H that I am using for parts. Will the engine swap fix the ABS codes C1241, and C1259? Will a good engine charge the HV battery and clear codes? I never had these codes before and they only came up once battery was drained and engine wouldn't start.

Please advise,
Thanks all for your help

Last edited by AviGS; Today at 09:58 AM.
Old Today, 11:36 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 795 Likes on 688 Posts

When your mechanic said most likely a timing chain, I would look for another mechanic. If he didnt properly check the timing marks on the timing pulleys to verify the chain is either stretch or damaged. A stretched chain will throw off all the timing marks. Its possible the timing chain tensioner is faulty and that caused the chain to get loose and throw off the timing. A good mechanic is one that tests and diagnoses an issue without jumping into conclusions. There are a lot of parts slapper mechanic that will throw all the parts at a fix, without properly diagnosing. This will end up costing you a lot of money, a lot of headache