NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Winter tire?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-24 | 06:41 AM
Naito
Driver

Default Winter tire?

I'm sure this question comes up a lot. But between the Pirelli Scorpion Winter 2 and the Michelin X-Ice Snow, which have you guys been going with? I don't particularly care about the RFT, which is probably the main differentiator, and cost for the two are pretty similar. I'm probably gonna be happy with either one, just thought to see if anyone has any opinions with NVH/fuel efficiency/tirewear.
Old 10-09-24 | 10:07 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

I have the Michelins. Work well, smooth, quiet. I stuck with the 20" wheels and tires so the speedo and such are the same as for the stock 20's. Experience with previous RX and smaller wheels/tires was frustrating as the speed was off a couple of KMs/hr.
Old 10-09-24 | 11:00 PM
oreon333
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JasDmw
I have the Michelins. Work well, smooth, quiet. I stuck with the 20" wheels and tires so the speedo and such are the same as for the stock 20's. Experience with previous RX and smaller wheels/tires was frustrating as the speed was off a couple of KMs/hr.
If you change the tire to a different size one, there is a setting I think that can be done through the OBDII tool to compensate for that.
Old Yesterday | 04:59 AM
Naito
Driver

Im downsizing from the 20s to18s for winter, but there should be only a 0.7% difference in rolling diameter so the speedo difference should be negligible. Anyone notice any difference in fuel economy between these tires or others?
Old Today | 11:36 AM
TheCDN
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Naito
Im downsizing from the 20s to18s for winter, but there should be only a 0.7% difference in rolling diameter so the speedo difference should be negligible. Anyone notice any difference in fuel economy between these tires or others?

I did the same with my '22NX350h went from 20's to 18's. I did a thorough check on measurements too, the overall diameter and circumference was negligible. As far as gas mileage, I tend to not do much long drives in winter so it was mostly around town trips where dealing with cold start ups causes worse gas mileage anyways, but it wasn't horrible. I did also get an OE block heater installed at purchase so I could pre-warm the engine and get a bit better mileage in the cold. I go from a summer avg of 6.5 L/100 kms down to 7.0 L/100 kms which isn't that bad. I live in Niagara region so my winter temps aren't horribly cold either.

Be aware that if you're not going to use Lexus winter rims you need to match their new bolt design being used now. It's a conical bolt seat being used not an old fashioned lug nut.
Old Today | 12:10 PM
Naito
Driver

Thanks, I was debating getting cheaper rims, but the Lexus 18s seem to be on sale at the dealership and not that much more than aftermarket, so planning on buying the rims from dealership and get tires separately. Worth the minimal difference to get the more robust OEM rims vs the aftermarket ones. I gotta take the wheel off one of these days and see exactly what the deal is with the conical bolt too, saw that mentioned around here a lot.

I was thinking about that block heater, we'll have enough short trips dropping kids off at school that it'd probably be beneficial. Even with the weather now, the drop off trip is about 8L/100km and drops to 5ish on the return trip just cuz the engine's already warm. Will be interesting to see how it gets as it gets colder.