New Rear Brake Pads and Rotors with strange issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-16, 04:04 PM
dirkdiggle
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rear Brake Pads and Rotors with strange issue

Hey guys

Recently replaced my sc430 rear brake rotors and pads. Actually did the job twice now. Ugh

First time bought the cheapest rotors and bosch pads I could find on rock auto. (both rotors $32 and pads $16). Got it all installed and made horrible grinding/screeching noise while driving and more specifically while in motion turning left or right. Not so much noise and sometimes none while driving in straight.

Figured it was the Parking brake dragging so I gutted out all parking brake components from the rear.

Put back together and still the same grinding/screeching noise while turning and once in awhile while driving straight.

Figured it was the cheap parts so took all that junk off and sent it all back to rockauto.com.

Went to Autozone and bought the best rotors they sell and the mid grade pads.

Installed all these more expensive parts and still have the same noises from the rear brake area while turning left or right. ugh.

What would cause rear end brake noise while turning? Doesnt really make any noise while driving in a straight line. Wheel bearings dont feel loose using the typical grab the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock.

I looked on here and someone mentioned shims? I didnt see any shims when I pulled out the old worn pads.

Any ideas or help is appreciated.....its really embarrassing driving past people with loud screeching from the *** end of your car.
Old 03-16-16, 08:42 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

It was probably my post that you read about the missing shim plates on my Supra TT BBK upgrade. In your case though, are you sure you've installed the antirattle/antisqueal clips (that attach at the top of the calipers) properly? If they are not installed correctly they can cause constant contact with the rotor and make a continuous sound even when not applying the breaks. This sound would more likely intensify when turning as the seating changes from flush (no sound) to "wobbling/skipping" leading to contact noise. Check it out and let us know.

http://www.justanswer.com/lexus/2w01...nge-brake.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-needed-2.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-clips-on.html

Last edited by ShawnOk; 03-16-16 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-16-16, 09:42 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

...also you might check to see if your dust plate is rubbing the wheel or rotor. I accidentally bent one of the front dust plates & it caused a noise issue, but it was a simple fix....hope yours is also
Old 03-18-16, 05:24 PM
dirkdiggle
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the links. Think I set that W clip/spring thing in wrong. I put them to far back. Jammed the rear hump of the W Clip behind the pin that slides through.
So Im going to correct that and hopefully will fix the noise.

Are the anti-squeal shims ive read about crucial to install??
Old 03-18-16, 10:44 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by dirkdiggle
thanks for the links. Think I set that W clip/spring thing in wrong. I put them to far back. Jammed the rear hump of the W Clip behind the pin that slides through.
So Im going to correct that and hopefully will fix the noise.

Are the anti-squeal shims ive read about crucial to install??
Not totally sure. When I was having problems, took my car to Midas for diagnostic. They didn't find any problems and said everything looked normal. Didn't even mention (or know) that I was missing the shims. Then I found out I was missing the shims. Talked to the Midas guys to see if this could possibly be the culprit, and they said that they sometimes they get away without using them and no squeal. Other times they have to install them once customer complains about the squeal or "chattering". So, for what it's worth the antisqueal plates run about $10 straight from Lexus/Toyota. If you fix the pins and still get the sound, try the shims. Or just buy the shims and do it the right way. Your choice. Oh and make sure you use brake pad lube on sides and back of the brake pads (usually between the pad back and the shim; not between the back of the pad and the caliper pistons- I made that mistake too). Little packets are sold at AutoZone or other stores.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 03-18-16 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-14-24, 08:42 AM
dentroAuto
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Brake sounds

Hi, realize this is a very old post but I wonder if you ever figured out where the sound was coming from. I have an 2004 with the same issue. brand new rotos and it seems to be rubbing with the inner emergency brakes. Makes no sense. Even playing with the adjustment doesn't solve the issue. Yes, embarrassing to drive!
The following users liked this post:
mfg_guy (08-14-24)
Old 08-14-24, 10:21 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 500 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by dentroAuto
Hi, realize this is a very old post but I wonder if you ever figured out where the sound was coming from. I have an 2004 with the same issue. brand new rotos and it seems to be rubbing with the inner emergency brakes. Makes no sense. Even playing with the adjustment doesn't solve the issue. Yes, embarrassing to drive!
That's a bummer. Did you do the work yourself?
Old 08-14-24, 10:36 AM
dentroAuto
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I did and now my mechanic is telling me to replace the rotors. He recommends using the original Lexus rotors. I guess the clearance in the drum portion of the rotor is not large enough. I tried Bosch rotors which indicated 'precise fit'. Not exactly!

Nice, my 04 is also silver! Great color.
Old 08-14-24, 02:36 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

I used this kit and was very happy. Direct fit, no problems, excellent stopping power

Old 08-14-24, 02:39 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dentroAuto
Yes I did and now my mechanic is telling me to replace the rotors. He recommends using the original Lexus rotors.
You used to be able to get your rotors turned. I am assuming you can still do it.

I wonder if it would be more efficient for you to have your rear rotors turned so they fit better, as compared to buying new ones.

I don't know if this idea will kill you though because you are altering the geometry of the rotor (but normal braking also does that over time)
Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts

Given the apparent shifting in geometry during turns, I would wonder whether the OP fully removed all the rust that forms around the hub and lug bases. If there was rust left on that round plate, the rotor might not fully seat in a stable geometry. That step was easily the most time consuming part of the process when I redid all my brakes. Rolocs were nearly useless. A Hub Buddy was more effective tool for that tough job.
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM
OBP
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
I used this kit and was very happy. Direct fit, no problems, excellent stopping power
Same product very satisfying results here too.
Old Today, 01:10 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by OBP
Same product very satisfying results here too.
I had the mechanic replace rotors and pads in the back...He used Centric Rotors....