Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

2010 RX450h Clicking/Ticking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 07:04 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2010 RX450h Clicking/Ticking Sound

I have search for a resolution to this and have yet to find one. I have a 2010 RX450h with 140k. It makes a click/tick noise when coming to a stop and accelerating.
This happens every time and all the time.
When the vehicle is in Neutral upon stopping there is no noise. So this effectively rules out the brake click that I am seeing so much of and I had in my IS250.
Considering that its not brakes, or suspension. It would have to deal with the pressure of the transmission and regenerative braking system then.
As the clicking noise is happens either when the axle changes direction the click or tick noise occurs.
Anyone else have this issue? Resolve this issue? This started miles ago, but since I thought it was a brake click I didn't bother with it. Now that I know it is not I am trying to fix it.
Old 05-01-18, 09:00 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 543 Likes on 380 Posts

Had (still have occasionally to a small degree) this problem. The mechanic tightened the frame bolts and reduced the incidence and sound level by 95%.
Old 07-21-18, 08:47 PM
xvimalx
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm having the same issue. Anyone resolve this?
Old 07-30-18, 06:43 PM
xvimalx
Driver

Originally Posted by xvimalx
I'm having the same issue. Anyone resolve this?
Took it to a local mechanic and got it resolved!
Old 07-30-18, 07:01 PM
salimshah

Received 1,046 Likes on 944 Posts

Took it to a local mechanic and got it resolved!
Glad that it got fixed for you, but the general interest for forum members is ... what was fixed.

Salim
The following 2 users liked this post by salimshah:
DuLex (08-31-20), Rballcrime (08-01-20)
Old 07-31-18, 03:31 AM
xvimalx
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
Glad that it got fixed for you, but the general interest for forum members is ... what was fixed.

Salim
It was the axel shaft that goes behind the rotor. I needs to be lubed up.
Old 07-31-18, 11:11 AM
salimshah

It was the axel shaft that goes behind the rotor. I needs to be lubed up.
hmmm .. I thought every thing is sealed up .. no point to add any lubricant. Many many years ago, I bought a grease gun and have never used it.
Salim
Old 08-14-18, 02:35 PM
JM1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was told it was something to do with the frame. Gave up trying to figure it out and just live with it. With windows up I don't notice it as much. Denial is my approach-can't be anything serious or the car would have shut down by now. Over 270,000 on my 2010 RX h and noticed this aboout 100,000
Old 08-14-18, 05:28 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Wow, that's a lot of miles.

If the clicking slows down as you come to a stop and then speeds up as you accelerate, it's something with a wheel or axle, yes?

I once had a car that clicked and it turned out the lug nuts on one wheel were loose!

EDIT: Sorry, I re-read the whole thread. So, in neutral, no noise when slowing... Huh...
Old 08-24-18, 11:49 AM
xvimalx
Driver

Its not a continued clicking. Just one click as you come to a stop and one click as you speed up. It has gone away on my car so I'm happy about it. It was a simple reset of the axle and lube the joints/connections. I bet if I took it to the dealer it would've been a $3K repair since they would've preferred to just replace the axles.

Happy to discuss further for those who are experiencing the annoying click!
The following users liked this post:
Rballcrime (08-01-20)
Old 06-23-19, 01:59 AM
Lexmich
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

i have the same annoying clicking noise which is loud outside and sucks when driving with windows down. People beside a stop light are lloking at me and neighbours ask me evrey day why a expensive luxury Lexus do some strange noises and Lexus cant fix it....indeed they want a lot of money to search it because its not coming from brakes.
I found this thread here on greeHybrid Forum and there is a sound file from a Ford Hybrid SUV which makes exaclty my noise in the RX450h !
https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...-listen-30360/

car is from 2009 with 230000km on it and runs fine beside this noise which went louder after several months.

any idea ??
thx very much

Last edited by kitlz; 06-23-19 at 04:09 AM. Reason: language
Old 06-23-19, 02:18 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Lexmich
Hi,

i have the same annoying clicking noise which is loud outside and sucks when driving with windows down. People beside a stop light are lloking at me and neighbours ask me evrey day why a expensive luxury Lexus do some strange noises and Lexus cant fix it....indeed they want a lot of money to search it because its not coming from brakes.
I found this thread here on greeHybrid Forum and there is a sound file from a Ford Hybrid SUV which makes exaclty my noise in the RX450h !
https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...-listen-30360/

car is from 2009 with 230000km on it and runs fine beside this noise which went louder after several months.

any idea ??
thx very much
Lexmich:
I don't know how to put it politely, but please read on and hopefully you can make an informed decision and not just deal with the frustration.
Mechanic has to be paid for his/her time. A good mechanic will charge you more/hour and what you have to figure out the total cost ($/hour x hours). Some places might take in your vehicle and do a gratis diagnosis and then charge you for the repairs. My understanding is that Lexus dealerships will charge you for diagnosis [found/not-found] and repair_once_you_authorize [two separate line items] . If the repair is covered by Warranty/extended_warranty they will ask (the warranty company) permission and get re-imbursed by them directly. If the repair is not approved or not covered by the warranty then they will ask the owner for the diagnosis at minimum and optional repairs if the customer agrees. Lexus may give you some break if you authorize repair and you have the option to take the vehicle to another place or my favorite DIY.

So diagnosing the problem will cost you even if they are unable to find a problem as the mechanic has to be paid. If this was done for free, there will be a long line of customers with real/perceived_problems.
When members post a question on the forum, they are essentially hoping that some one else who has similar symptoms have the same problem. Here is the blunt part ... Would we ever diagnose medical problem that way? The answer is going to be NO, unless some is very desperate.
So please take your vehicle to the dealership and pay them $120+/hr. Or choose another place. You own fairly expensive vehicle and you have to pay the "piper". Some problems left unattended can snowball and even compromise on the safety.

Finally, I hope I have not offended you.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 06-23-19 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-24-19, 09:31 AM
Lexmich
Driver School Candidate

thx but i dont trust this Lexus dealer anymore and i´m sure they smell something what it cause this awful loud and definately not healthy sounding noise !
That´s why i will went to a local shop were all brands are getting repaired, sometimes these people have more experience.
car was now 2 times at Lexus and first they wont hear it ans 2nd time they try to give me another date at the shop.....i went straight away, sry.

Last edited by Lexmich; 06-24-19 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-24-19, 11:10 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Lexmich
thx but i dont trust this Lexus dealer anymore and i´m sure they smell something what it cause this awful loud and definately not healthy sounding noise !
That´s why i will went to a local shop were all brands are getting repaired, sometimes these people have more experience.
car was now 2 times at Lexus and first they wont hear it ans 2nd time they try to give me another date at the shop.....i went straight away, sry.
That is the right thing to do. Every Lexus dealership does not have competent mechanics. You should pay the folks who are competent. At times, it helps to have the tech ride with you as you reproduce the problem.

Once your problem is diagnosed and resolved, please give the Lexus service manager a call and give him/her the feedback. I hope you will be saving some money too in the process, so it will be a win win for you.

Salim
Old 07-12-19, 08:52 AM
Lexmich
Driver School Candidate

Problem found and repaired by a local Toyo man who sufferes from Toyo/Lexus restrictions by not getting all info´s o parts for LExus :-( No Wonder they do not sell more of them here !! Toyo dealers are not allowed to sell Lexus unless they invest half a million or more for a suberb attractive show room ....LEXUS europe are complete IDIOTS !!!
one side of front drive shaft .... near 1000 bucks :-(

Last edited by Lexmich; 07-12-19 at 09:28 AM.

Quick Reply: 2010 RX450h Clicking/Ticking Sound