RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

2002 lexus RX300 will not drive when in gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-18, 07:03 AM
jkhoodayar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 lexus RX300 will not drive when in gear

My car was sitting in driveway for few month. The battery was dead. I jump started it. The car started successfully. Howvere the RPM in parking was 4500 which is unusual. When I tried to put it in Reverse or Drive, the shift lever moved to these positions. The rpm dropped down to 1000-2000 range. But the car will not move forward and backward. I am sure something went wrong because of the dead Battery. I never had any transmission issues. Here is what I did:

1. I checked all the fuses. The fuse 38 (OBD) on on the driver side fusebox was bad. Changed the fuse and restarted the car. No improvement
2. I checked all other fuses under the hood. They all look good.
3. I found the shift interlock button under the small plate next to shift lever. I pressed that to unlock. No success. How do I unlock it so that when in gear, it moves forward or backward. It is as if it is in Parking when it is in-fact in Reverse or Drive.
4. I reset the ECU by pulling the EFI fuses and leaving ythem out for 3 minutes and then putting them back in. Did not solve the problem.

Anybody has any idea how to resolve this issue?

Last edited by jkhoodayar; 08-19-18 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-19-18, 09:38 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,105 Likes on 994 Posts

Disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes.

Check the fuses again

The safety interlock prevents moving out of Park. It seems you can move out of park once you apply the bakes, so that is not an issue.

Make sure you are on flat area and move the gear to "N". See if you can push to roll the vehicle.

Check all fluid levels.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
jkhoodayar (09-15-18)
Old 08-20-18, 09:08 AM
owenstrawn
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the parking brake. Don't ask me how I know this.
Old 09-15-18, 09:50 AM
jkhoodayar
Driver School Candidate

Default did not work. cardoes not move at all

i did what you said. put it in Neutral. tried to roll it. it does not move. parking break is off by the way. the car does not move forward or backward. it is on a slope.

Originally Posted by salimshah
Disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes.

Check the fuses again

The safety interlock prevents moving out of Park. It seems you can move out of park once you apply the bakes, so that is not an issue.

Make sure you are on flat area and move the gear to "N". See if you can push to roll the vehicle.

Check all fluid levels.

Salim
Old 09-15-18, 11:50 AM
trhs75
Lexus Test Driver

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm sorry to hear this. It seems to me that the shift interlock release button would bypass anything electronic holding the car in park. If I understand you correctly, the shift lever did actually move (to N, for example), as opposed to being frozen in P position? I would be inclined to jack up one end at a time (only the front, if fwd) to see if one wheel rotates freely in neutral (possibly indicating brakes locked up on one wheel), or if both are stuck.
Old 09-15-18, 01:00 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

If it is on an incline, you have to be careful as the vehicle may decide to roll any-time.

AWD or FWD?

Chalk the other three wheels and lift one at a time with transmission in "N". They should all turn freely [the driven wheels may require a slight more force].

You can try back and forth movement.

Salim
Old 07-25-22, 05:37 PM
Grammyla11
2nd gear

Originally Posted by salimshah
If it is on an incline, you have to be careful as the vehicle may decide to roll any-time.

AWD or FWD?

Chalk the other three wheels and lift one at a time with transmission in "N". They should all turn freely [the driven wheels may require a slight more force].

You can try back and forth movement.

Salim
I had to log on with Google acct . Our car is kinda doing the same thing. It's giving us the p0500 code but changed all sensors. U replied Salim to our post n we still have not figured it out. Our car goes into park but makes. Grinding sound and it doesn't go in any gear. It does roll back n forth when in n. It tries to go backwards n forward but it's not like catching. We are wondering if Jack up n do the tires as suggested here what would that mean if didn't move freely. We can see the gear turning looking down the hole I'm sensor A. We are sure it's not the transmission even tho it sounds like it. We got no check engine or warning light. Now we have check engine vsc and code p0500 sensor A. UgggBeen researching daily as cannot afford to have it fixed sik husband has to do it as it's our only vehicle and NVR had any issues or any warning lights beforehand. We did use the cruise control just minutes before this happened and we had not used it in years. Any ideas anyone and did this Lexus get figured out? Thank you
Old 07-25-22, 06:59 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Grammyla11
I had to log on with Google acct . Our car is kinda doing the same thing. It's giving us the p0500 code but changed all sensors. U replied Salim to our post n we still have not figured it out. Our car goes into park but makes. Grinding sound and it doesn't go in any gear. It does roll back n forth when in n. It tries to go backwards n forward but it's not like catching. We are wondering if Jack up n do the tires as suggested here what would that mean if didn't move freely. We can see the gear turning looking down the hole I'm sensor A. We are sure it's not the transmission even tho it sounds like it. We got no check engine or warning light. Now we have check engine vsc and code p0500 sensor A. UgggBeen researching daily as cannot afford to have it fixed sik husband has to do it as it's our only vehicle and NVR had any issues or any warning lights beforehand. We did use the cruise control just minutes before this happened and we had not used it in years. Any ideas anyone and did this Lexus get figured out? Thank you
Free rolling check is suggested to ensure the wheels are not being locked by brakes or some other mechanical defect. If the wheels are locked then an auto-trans will not be able to move it as the torque convertor will provide the slip.

Apparently you are convinced that the transmission is good and the computer is preventing any movement. That is counter to my understanding as the code you are getting can be ignored and imho the vehicle should move forward and reverse, even if this code is present.

I am not an expert and just an enthusiast. That is why I urge that a competent mechanic should check your vehicle. I would suggest that you describe the symptoms and let the mechanic diagnose the problem.

I hope things work out in your favor [you need a break], but situation seems beyond what folks can do for you remotely. Alternative is to give it few more days and see if some one can come up with a fix for you.

Salim
You can try disconnecting the battery for about 20 mins and see if the code disappear. I think it will not be set till you actually manage to drive the vehicle.

PS: The OBDII codes are not a comprehensive error source. Mechanics/dealer have additional dedicated equipment for say brakes and transmission. OBDII codes are predominantly there for emission related reporting [mandated by the government].
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (07-25-22)
Old Today, 01:34 AM
JuniorLexus
6th Gear

Did you find out what was the issue ? Any update ?