Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

got my E55 fixed at the dealer, for free!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-18, 11:54 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts
Default got my E55 fixed at the dealer, for free!!

this is one of those rare moments when owning an out of warranty AMG didn't harm the wallet. classic mid 2000s E class issue where the car makes your garage stink like gas after filling it up. the connectors to the fuel pumps will develop leaks in them, as can be seen from this pic i took of mine:

mercedes actually had a class action suit opened against them about this issue, and i knew they extended the warranty on this but i wasn't sure for how long. i went into the dealer and spoke to a service advisor, and she told me that mercedes extended the warranty for the fuel tank until 2020! so if anyone was thinking about possibly getting an E class from this era and was worried about this popping up, you're still covered but don't wait too long!

got an entire new fuel tank, supporting hardware, and loaner car, all free of charge! shame on mercedes for even having this be an issue in the first place, but at least they're (now) doing the right thing and making these repairs for people. i don't even want to know what this would cost were it not covered lol... ehh that's a lie, i'm still curious. now the E55 gets to go back to doing what it does best, burning up more gas!
Old 09-09-18, 02:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Dodged a bullet...
Old 09-09-18, 02:24 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 112 Posts

Where it says rate $169 is that there hourly rate. I'm glad you got it free if that's what they charge cheers.
Old 09-09-18, 02:59 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

108k miles? Bro... just sell it now before the real bills start coming in. I love to look at those cars, but I question anyone that still owns an AMG that old. It's not a collectible, so what's the allure? Plenty of much faster cars around that do not come with this kind of headache.
Old 09-09-18, 04:24 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
108k miles? Bro... just sell it now before the real bills start coming in. I love to look at those cars, but I question anyone that still owns an AMG that old. It's not a collectible, so what's the allure? Plenty of much faster cars around that do not come with this kind of headache.
i'm not too worried about the miles, it's not like the M5 V10 or something. and faster doesn't necessarily mean better to me. the E55 is just such a well executed balance of performance, luxury, style, proportions, and is still relatively diy-able. it's really only a regular old E class with a comically oversized engine and everything else strengthened where necessary (transmission, driveshafts, differential, etc...). as of now, there's just nothing else i like as much / can afford as the E55. it has a very infectious nature to it
Old 09-10-18, 08:37 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

cool, glad you got it for free!!!
Old 09-10-18, 08:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Outstanding! German car cos. often show goodwill (pick and choose but when they do it costs $$$$$). Like when people got their new 2001 328Ci's and felt the steering was too loosey goosey--BMW retrofitted steering racks to anyone who wanted it. On the other hand, when auto drivers noticed they didn't have an external oil cooler on their 2007 335's, BMW said sorry, we're not retrofitting them.

Nice to see MB does the same.

Another example, with the Takata airbag scandal, BMW and Honda emerged the clear good willers, with BMW providing loaner cars for YEARS to people who wanted them. Toyota/Lexus, um, in hiding. As was Audi and in this case MB. Every case is different, this one is a WIN!
Old 09-10-18, 10:34 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Outstanding! German car cos. often show goodwill (pick and choose but when they do it costs $$$$$). Like when people got their new 2001 328Ci's and felt the steering was too loosey goosey--BMW retrofitted steering racks to anyone who wanted it. On the other hand, when auto drivers noticed they didn't have an external oil cooler on their 2007 335's, BMW said sorry, we're not retrofitting them.

Nice to see MB does the same.

Another example, with the Takata airbag scandal, BMW and Honda emerged the clear good willers, with BMW providing loaner cars for YEARS to people who wanted them. Toyota/Lexus, um, in hiding. As was Audi and in this case MB. Every case is different, this one is a WIN!
well in this case i don't think mercedes had much choice since it was becoming such a common issue, and toyota / lexus cars generally just have fewer manufacturing defects in my experience.

i did a quick lookup of the recall and someone on mbworld conveniently had the entire document posted, just reading it over made me very happy this all came at 0 expense haha... so any E or CLS class older than 15 years will no longer be covered, and the first ones affected was the first year of the model in 2003, so those will no longer be covered soon.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
P-B-47-10_63.pdf (711.1 KB, 98 views)
Old 09-11-18, 08:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well in this case i don't think mercedes had much choice since it was becoming such a common issue, and toyota / lexus cars generally just have fewer manufacturing defects in my experience.

i did a quick lookup of the recall and someone on mbworld conveniently had the entire document posted, just reading it over made me very happy this all came at 0 expense haha... so any E or CLS class older than 15 years will no longer be covered, and the first ones affected was the first year of the model in 2003, so those will no longer be covered soon.
Forums and word-of-mouth are great. A colleague came to my office in 2/16 and said are you planning on getting a loaner? I said for what? He goes Takata, you can get a loaner until they have the parts to fix your car--could be 2 years. Called up 2 BMW dealerships and they acknowledged it was true. One said we have to see your car, the other said please don't bring your car, just sign some papers and take the loaner. I told dealer A and they said well dealer B isn't supposed to do that (because you might not even own the vehicle in question anymore if they don't see it, sure enough human nature > BMW late lesson learned).

Two things that worked well was a) kept miles off my car b) moved me up the list in getting fixed (that also was not supposed to happen, was supposed to be high humidity areas first)

Almost 5 mos. of driving a brand new 2016 car, when my car is a 2007 and long out of warranty. Doesn't surprise me when German car mfgs. do such things. Honda was the only other car co. that provided free loaners due to Takata. Even MB and Audi said no dice, as did Toyota. My buddy said Subaru provided a seat in their lounge, only when parts were available!
Old 07-06-24, 11:25 PM
mitchmania
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's awesome you got it repaired for free! I had the exact issue on my 2005 E-class back and paid for a independent shop to do this around 2014. Cost me around $700 if I remember correctly.
Old 07-08-24, 12:40 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mitchmania
That's awesome you got it repaired for free! I had the exact issue on my 2005 E-class back and paid for a independent shop to do this around 2014. Cost me around $700 if I remember correctly.
oh damn so that's an easy $1000+ repair today! why did you have to pay? was the recall not a thing yet?
Old 07-08-24, 02:44 PM
timmy0tool

Received 423 Likes on 377 Posts

wow 6 year thread bump!

i'm still trying to find a nice W211 wagon for my stable (S211 technically) but i'm staying away from earlier models with SBC and bad balancer shafts. AMGs are usually exempt from these issues! all MB recalls have surpassed by this time...
Old 07-08-24, 03:05 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
wow 6 year thread bump!

i'm still trying to find a nice W211 wagon for my stable (S211 technically) but i'm staying away from earlier models with SBC and bad balancer shafts. AMGs are usually exempt from these issues! all MB recalls have surpassed by this time...
they have not! the SBC has a 25 year factory warranty

please keep looking the W211 has completely won me over throughout the years, if possible go for a 2005 or 2006 since they had worked out some of the earlier kinks by then