LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake actuator repair cost, Why pay $3000?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-19, 11:38 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Brake actuator repair cost, Why pay $3000?

A new oem actuator on EBAY is about $1200 shipped, I even see reman ones from an Ebay vendor from China selling then for $500. So I wonder what labor is involved to replace it? It really just looks like brake lines attach to it, unplug a wiring harness or 2 and the unit on top need to be removed (Pic #1) to get to it. Then put everything back together bleed the brakes and clear the codes. Seems like we are treating this the same as the control arm "issues" and the overblown cost to replace them at the dealership.
Also I see one vendor on Ebay has sold over 50 unit which tells me an indy shop can do the labor. I have a master tech mechanic contact that would probably charge me no more than $300 to $400 tops do the work.
I've been a little paranoid since I've been hearing some faint "squaking sounds" when braking very hard. It has also been cold out. I topped off the brake fluids and don't hear the sound now. I'm just past the 10 year warranty period so I'm looking for non dealer cost alternatives. I wonder if I bring in my own new oem part still in the box and ask the dealer just for the labor cost and see if that is an option.

Last edited by JLAWS; 01-22-19 at 11:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Parrokeete (10-31-21)
Old 01-22-19, 09:09 PM
Gjohnson
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I would love some more information about his as well. I’m subscribed!
Parrokeete (10-31-21)
Old 01-23-19, 03:23 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

OEM new brake actuator assembly for 2010 LS460 cost $1071 at Lexus of south Atlanta:
https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...405050110.html
dealer quote for replacement is about $2300.
Old 01-23-19, 07:00 AM
JLAWS
Racer

$2,300 for labor only?! If $2,300 for both then that is not too bad, but still high. Maybe there is a shop manual online that has a step by step on how to replace it
Old 01-23-19, 08:02 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

When I had my brake actuator replaced at the dealer the invoice showed around $4800. It will be interesting to see how much cheaper it can be done if you go the route of buying your own from eBay and having someone replace it.
Parrokeete (10-31-21)
Old 01-23-19, 08:46 AM
texas008
Advanced

I remembered wrong, correction:
Quote from a local well known indy Lexus shop, part: $2900, labor $360, so its almost $3300
And they do not allow bringing your own brand new oem parts.
Old 01-23-19, 09:00 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by texas008
I remembered wrong, correction:
Quote from a local well known indy Lexus shop, part: $2900, labor $360, so its almost $3300
And they do not allow bringing your own brand new oem parts.
Yep, my local preferred Indy has this policy as well. You can not bring it your own aftermarket/oem quality parts; it's genuine Lexus/Toyota parts only otherwise they will not put them in. This becomes an interesting conundrum because some repairs end up being within spitting distance of dealer costs especially repairs that only require 1-3 hours of labor.
Old 01-23-19, 10:23 AM
JLAWS
Racer

I've seen how these indy shops work. They buy parts at their discounted price, then mark it way up to the list price then you end up getting a little break on labor cost if your are lucky.
Old 01-23-19, 12:03 PM
icon901
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Just as a quick FYI to those considering doing this themselves or with non-lexus shops....

I just sold a 2010 Hyundai Genesis that was known to have Brake actuator issues. Like the Lexus it was a $2k part + labor. I had a local who did great work where my local Hyundai shop was run by incompetent people.

We found a "Scratch and dent" new controller for $600 (had a small piece of plastic chipped off). Ordered it. He installed it but was absolutely unable to get it to program to the car's computer (he had dealer-level equipment). I ended up having to take it to the dealer which set off another nightmarish string of events, but only the dealer was able to get the controller to talk to the car's computer.

That MAY not be the case with Lexus... but I did want to throw out that cautionary tale.
Old 01-23-19, 02:59 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 223 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAWS
A new oem actuator on EBAY is about $1200 shipped, I even see reman ones from an Ebay vendor from China selling then for $500. So I wonder what labor is involved to replace it? It really just looks like brake lines attach to it, unplug a wiring harness or 2 and the unit on top need to be removed (Pic #1) to get to it. Then put everything back together bleed the brakes and clear the codes. Seems like we are treating this the same as the control arm "issues" and the overblown cost to replace them at the dealership.
Also I see one vendor on Ebay has sold over 50 unit which tells me an indy shop can do the labor. I have a master tech mechanic contact that would probably charge me no more than $300 to $400 tops do the work.
I've been a little paranoid since I've been hearing some faint "squaking sounds" when braking very hard. It has also been cold out. I topped off the brake fluids and don't hear the sound now. I'm just past the 10 year warranty period so I'm looking for non dealer cost alternatives. I wonder if I bring in my own new oem part still in the box and ask the dealer just for the labor cost and see if that is an option.
---
There have been mixed reports on this actuator issue. Some owners reported that they had failed brake actuators at relatively low mileage (e.g., less than 50K miles) and had repeatedly replaced bad brake actuators even after the dealer replaced the original bad ones. In contrast, there were also plenty of owners of early MYs (i.e., 2007-2010) who never experienced the brake actuator problem. Personally, I wouldn't replace a functional brake actuator as proactive maintenance. Instead, I would make sure that the brake system is properly maintained (brake fluid replacement) per Lexus maintenance schedule and Lexus maintenance procedure (don't try to bleed the brake system without Techstream). The fresh brake fluid keeps the brake system, including the brake actuator, function properly. I would only replace the brake actuator when it is actually bad. There have been cases where a "bad (noisy)" brake actuator was revived by a thorough brake bleeding with Techstream. In terms of the cost, a genuine Toyota brake actuator can be obtained from a Toyota or Lexus dealer at about $1200. The time/labor to replace the the actuator is approximately 3 hours for an average DIYer. In terms of the replacement procedure, there are three steps - (1) use Techstream to release the pressure in the brake system, (2) remove the old brake actuator and install the new one, and (3) perform Lexus brake actuator replacement procedure with Techstream (i.e., bleed the new brake actuator and brake system). There will be no need to clear error code if the Lexus procedure for replacing brake actuator is followed. If an indy shop is going to do the work, it should be about 3 hours of labor cost, plus OE brake actuator.
Hope that this info helps.
The following 8 users liked this post by yyymmm31:
Gire (02-24-23), IchBin (03-31-19), JLAWS (01-23-19), Josephsin (06-13-20), Parrokeete (10-31-21), scutch (08-18-23), steelers6 (02-28-20), texas008 (12-16-22) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-23-19, 06:03 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Mine was on its way to failing when I traded it in. It began making a chirp/squeak noise upon breaking. Thought it was a bushing at first, found a few upper control arms cracked so I replaced those...that didn't help. Knew I was in trouble then. Then it got worse, it got louder. Finally I could duplicate the noise by just pressing on the brake pedal, and then a loud chirp was coming right from the actuator itself (not the brake pedal area, but the actuator).

I did think about changing it myself...buying one off if eBay. When I was looking there were used units for around $700-$1,200 bucks. Didn't exactly get a reassuring feeling purchasing a used actuator that I knew would fail again, but a lot sooner than new or rebuilt. So my options were new, put it in myself, and then try to bleed it. With the thought that I would have to take it to a Lexus tech if I screwed that up. In my head I figured I could get it done for around $2,500 total. Not exactly a pleasing thought in my mind, especially with a car with 178,000 mikes on it, so that is where me and Mr. Lexus LS460 ended our relationship (a nice five year run). Sad day.

I believe it's the rubber o-rings that fail on these units internally and then cause a leak down in pressure. These aren't your typical ABS/master cylinder/brake booster systems, they're a little more complicated than that. I don't know enough about them so when it began to fail I jumped ship.
Bigguy818 (09-03-22)
Old 01-23-19, 08:51 PM
burgdorf
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I just had mine replaced at Sewell Lexus in Dallas. $2700 was total for parts and labor, I had a loaner for a week as the part was on “indefinite back order” as the tech said. Imagine that 😂. Anyway my two cents, do it at the dealer unless you really trust your Indy mechanic and know them well. When you look at the cost of the part it’s not worth it to maybe save a few hundred on labor. Just a note; mine failed at 97k miles and one month outside of the ten year mark for warranty replacement at 100%.
Old 01-23-19, 09:27 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Originally Posted by burgdorf
I just had mine replaced at Sewell Lexus in Dallas. $2700 was total for parts and labor, I had a loaner for a week as the part was on “indefinite back order” as the tech said. Imagine that 😂. Anyway my two cents, do it at the dealer unless you really trust your Indy mechanic and know them well. When you look at the cost of the part it’s not worth it to maybe save a few hundred on labor. Just a note; mine failed at 97k miles and one month outside of the ten year mark for warranty replacement at 100%.
Burgdorf, would you mind taking a picture and sharing the invoice breakdown?
Old 01-23-19, 09:45 PM
burgdorf
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Invoice
Originally Posted by JLAWS
Burgdorf, would you mind taking a picture and sharing the invoice breakdown?
Glad to share I hope this helps some figure out best plan of action.

Last edited by burgdorf; 01-23-19 at 09:49 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by burgdorf:
JLAWS (01-24-19), SENSAY813 (02-15-23), steelers6 (02-28-20), texas008 (01-24-19)
Old 01-24-19, 06:16 AM
texas008
Advanced

Thanks for sharing the info.

Quick Reply: Brake actuator repair cost, Why pay $3000?