LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Air Suspension Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-19, 08:37 AM
Neebs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Suspension Failure

I am sorry if this is a duplicate post. New to the site. I have a 2002 LS 430 UL. I am having trouble with the air suspension system. It is stuck at the maximum range of the height adjustment - it moved un-commanded and will not return to the normal setting. It seems to be over-charged as it has no suspension travel left and will rattle your brains with the bounce over minor bumps. The car is undriveable unless I can find a way to get it to "climb down" to the normal setting. I suspect that the problem was triggered by winter storage in a damp garage. May have shorted out the height adjustment switch (no idea what I am talking about).

The car did this once before ... up on stilts in the morning and then back down again in the afternoon. The fact that if comes and goes on its own makes be think that it must be an electrical gremlin.

Given the age of the car, I need an economical solution ... so a visit to the dealer is out of the question. If it is a question of replacing the height adjustment sensor ... then I have found part 48906-50070 Link Sub-Assembly, Height Control Sensor Rear on Ebay at a pretty modest cost ... Is this what I am looking for? Do I need one or two? Do I need the equivalent for the front suspension as well?

Any ideas, suggestions ... welcome. Thanks
Old 05-07-19, 09:12 AM
razvy
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It has to be electrical , i'm thinking control module not height control sensors .
Old 05-07-19, 09:16 AM
Neebs
Driver School Candidate

Razvy ... it certainly seems like an electrical problem. It also makes sense that it is a single point of failure ... in a control module ... as opposed to the ride height sensors. Do you have a part number reference on the control module that you are thinking of?
Old 05-07-19, 09:21 AM
razvy
Rookie

Scanning the car could pin point the problem ,
Air suspension control module 89293-50111
The following users liked this post:
Neebs (05-07-19)
Old 05-07-19, 09:25 AM
Neebs
Driver School Candidate

Razvy ... great suggestion, I will head over to my local Master Mechanic guy and ask him to see if he can scan for fault codes. If you are right there are lots of those control modules on Ebay ... worth a shot. I will let you know how it works out.
razvy (05-07-19)
Old 05-07-19, 10:55 AM
Bsavage
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Driver rear sensor

Lowered on stock air suspension when I engaged high mode it goes to stock height
When the LS with air suspension is on a lift it will completely air it self out so when it comes back down off the lift the car will be slammed to the floor make sure you keep it at normal on the switch and start her up it will air up again to the right hight that might re set it for you hopefully that helps you out PS you can adjust the height sensors to get the right height for normal mode if none of the above works

Last edited by Bsavage; 05-07-19 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-07-19, 11:01 AM
Neebs
Driver School Candidate

Bsavage - Thanks for you comment. I am going to see if I can diagnose the fault ... if it is the control module then I should be able to effect a permanent fix ... let's see if my local guy's scanner can pick up the right error code.
Old 05-07-19, 11:18 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

Plug in a Techstream system and check for DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) and read the live system outputs of the 4 height sensors (2 front, 2 rear). It is possible one or more of the 4 sensors are bad, and if a sensor is bad, the reading will be obvious. It is unlikely that all 4 sensors are bad. You can also command the air suspension to raise/lower via Techstream. There are several posts on these forums regarding how to correctly calibrate the air system, and it isn't as easy as adjusting each corner - each corner's adjustment has an effect on the opposite corner.
infojunky (06-21-21)
Old 05-07-19, 11:34 AM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar problem a few months ago. Basically one rear ride height sensor was broken a while (siezed) and the other side was compensating until that siezed and broke its mounting bracket. I managed to set the sensor to a mid level to make the car drivable for a few weeks until I received these from China:

www.aliexpress.com/item/32922372648.html

These worked perfectly and are a correct mirror pair to each other
Old 05-07-19, 02:46 PM
Neebs
Driver School Candidate

The scan shows a fault in the right rear height sensor. The mechanic was able to clear error codes and the front end lowered ... so I am guessing that it is the height sensors and not the control module.
LexRex (05-07-19)
Old 05-07-19, 03:15 PM
razvy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Neebs
The scan shows a fault in the right rear height sensor. The mechanic was able to clear error codes and the front end lowered ... so I am guessing that it is the height sensors and not the control module.
That's good to hear , hopefully you can buy a use sensor , make sure you find one from the south .. one was not in a salt brine all his life .
Old 05-07-19, 03:31 PM
Neebs
Driver School Candidate

gs-ireland ... The right rear height sensor seems to have failed. I would like to try your solution and buy knock off sensors from China ... What year is your lexus? Mine is a 2002 and I am not sure that these sensors will work ... the website indicates that they are compatible with other toyota products but not the LS....
Old 05-07-19, 06:51 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Bsavage - any reason you’re going without center caps? I just got these cheap on eBay:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323029896852
Old 05-07-19, 08:11 PM
Bsavage
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Aypues lmaooo when American tires balanced the wheels the clips broke off, im looking at a set of leon hardiritt ordens
Old 05-08-19, 03:02 AM
gs-ireland
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Neebs
gs-ireland ... The right rear height sensor seems to have failed. I would like to try your solution and buy knock off sensors from China ... What year is your lexus? Mine is a 2002 and I am not sure that these sensors will work ... the website indicates that they are compatible with other toyota products but not the LS....
Ive an 04. I did my homework and these seemed to be 90% correct, and when I got delivery I checked they were the correct mirrored pair and roughly the same impedance as the old seized units. The exact impedance is not a worry as its used as a potential divider so works on voltage.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Failure