LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Interesting take on the LS 500

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-19, 03:46 PM
Soldier76
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Interesting take on the LS 500

I do really appreciate the naturally aspirated V8 on the older gen LS's over the newer twin turbos.

Last edited by Soldier76; 07-05-19 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-05-19, 05:26 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Soldier76
I do really appreciate the naturally aspirated V8 on the older gen LS's over the newer twin turbos. https://youtu.be/8-0sXUS3aqQ
Without a doubt sir!
The interior diamond style is hideous. JMHO, which is my choice.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-06-19 at 09:51 AM. Reason: No politics please per our forum rules
The following 2 users liked this post by jkittlesen:
1WILLY1 (07-06-19), Soldier76 (07-05-19)
Old 07-05-19, 07:40 PM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Earlier this week a salesman at my local Lexus dealer told me the LS500 is getting a V8. I didn’t see anything in my internet search on this. Maybe he is just speculating.
Old 07-06-19, 06:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,577 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Originally Posted by FunFact
Knowing the potential of TT and having my share of NA V8 cars, I'll take a twin turbo any day. If you can access the ECU to change timing and the boost controller, you could easily add 60-80+ ft-lb of torque at the wheel.
That being said, I'll take a TT V8 over a V6.
Except that nobody who buys this sort of car is going to do that...

The TTV6 is not as smooth and refined as the NA V8 in our cars, but that wouldn't keep me out of the car if it ticked the rest of the boxes for me. I think its beautiful, inside and out personally. The interior definitely beats mine in terms of material quality, features, etc. The massage multi-contour front seats are amazing.

My MAIN issue with the car is size, its much smaller inside than my car despite being larger outside. The roof is low and claustrophobic, and the backseat space is smaller than a SWB 460 let alone a LWB 460. The ride is also firmer, but my guess is with regular tires (they come with run flats) it could be made to be soft enough. When buying a big flagship luxury car you expect it to feel big and spacious inside and the LS500 just doesnt. Every other generation of the LS has "felt like an LS" and this just doesnt "feel like an LS" on the road.

Deals on these cars are insane. I could probably trade my 2017 in on one and come out with the same lease payment (dealer calls me once a quarter, and I've done the numbers myself. There are like $16k in rebates plus the 8% or so markup already), but the car doesnt appeal to me enough to do that.

If I'm going to keep leasing, next time it will probably be an S Class. Thats the only other car which appeals to me in the same way the LS460 does. More and more what I'm thinking though is to just buy my LS460L out and lease something else as a third car for the tax deduction thats totally different. Maybe an LC500? Buyout on my LS is $31k.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-06-19 at 06:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
bigblack06 (07-26-19), RussLS460 (07-06-19)
Old 07-06-19, 07:09 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

not sure if its just the one I saw , I was at the dealer not long ago and the orange peel on the finish was astonishingly bad

Looked like a driveway job respray

once they come out with the TTv8 its going to be the big bad sedan on the block , until then its still nice but coming up a bit short

Not sure whos the brains behind some of these ideas but have u seen the new Toyota supra? its a BMW (chassis, engine, parts etc..)with a Toyota badge, unbelievable
Old 07-06-19, 07:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats not at all typical from the ones I've seen, but I wonder if they still hand sand the paint like they did on the 460?

I'd be very surprised if we ever see a TTV8 LS.
Old 07-06-19, 07:21 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

The TTV6 is not as smooth and refined as the NA V8 in our cars, but that wouldn't keep me out of the car if it ticked the rest of the boxes for me. I think its beautiful, inside and out personally. The interior definitely beats mine in terms of material quality, features, etc. The massage multi-contour front seats are amazing.

My MAIN issue with the car is size, its much smaller inside than my car despite being larger outside. The roof is low and claustrophobic, and the backseat space is smaller than a SWB 460 let alone a LWB 460. The ride is also firmer, but my guess is with regular tires (they come with run flats) it could be made to be soft enough. When buying a big flagship luxury car you expect it to feel big and spacious inside and the LS500 just doesnt. Every other generation of the LS has "felt like an LS" and this just doesnt "feel like an LS" on the road.

Deals on these cars are insane. I could probably trade my 2017 in on one and come out with the same lease payment (dealer calls me once a quarter, and I've done the numbers myself. There are like $16k in rebates plus the 8% or so markup already), but the car doesnt appeal to me enough to do that.

If I'm going to keep leasing, next time it will probably be an S Class. Thats the only other car which appeals to me in the same way the LS460 does. More and more what I'm thinking though is to just buy my LS460L out and lease something else as a third car for the tax deduction thats totally different. Maybe an LC500? Buyout on my LS is $31k.
The way you lease newer cars and have a way to write it off tax wise and stuff id really be tempted to jump over to an S class or a large Audi sports sedan.

I still do, and will always love and respect lexus but they are not really peaking my interest as much as they used too , even their sports coupes are kind of a let down , the LC is beautiful but the RC is a huge let down , very average and tame . The Sc400 started off so strong and they just keep dropping the ball continually.

Im holding out hope for the LS500, I hope they will bring back a V8 model, and then hopefully an LS-F , and then they can hang with the germans , I don't know what the are waiting for though
Old 07-06-19, 07:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
The way you lease newer cars and have a way to write it off tax wise and stuff id really be tempted to jump over to an S class or a large Audi sports sedan.
I may very well.

Im holding out hope for the LS500, I hope they will bring back a V8 model, and then hopefully an LS-F , and then they can hang with the germans , I don't know what the are waiting for though
Issue is all the other issues with the LS will still exist even with a V8 model. Its still going to be much smaller inside than its competition despite being larger outside. And at the price point an LS500 with a V8 would be above the TTV6 model you can get an S560 or a 750.
Old 07-06-19, 10:58 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by FunFact
Knowing the potential of TT and having my share of NA V8 cars, I'll take a twin turbo any day. If you can access the ECU to change timing and the boost controller, you could easily add 60-80+ ft-lb of torque at the wheel.
That being said, I'll take a TT V8 over a V6.
I had a piggyback tune on my previous car (Turbocharged BMW). I'm contemplating on doing a tune on my LS but I'm actually pretty satisfied with the power.
Old 07-07-19, 07:28 PM
Searosis
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

100% my next move. I couldn’t agree more with every one of your points. If I stick with a big body Sedan the S class is the next move from my LS-L.

My uncle has the 500 and it truly does nothing for me. I am on my 3rd LS and am sad to leave but they really dropped the ball with this one.
Old 07-25-19, 07:25 PM
DiamondES
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

And at the price point an LS500 with a V8 would be above the TTV6 model you can get an S560 or a 750.
The new LS beats the Mercedes S560 AMG in all categories. I believe it is a better car than the S Class. However, the new LS just like the new ES has very poor rear headroom. If you regularly have adults in the back seat it might be a problem.

Old 07-25-19, 07:31 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by DiamondES
The new LS beats the Mercedes S560 AMG in all categories. I believe it is a better car than the S Class. However, the new LS just like the new ES has very poor rear headroom. If you regularly have adults in the back seat it might be a problem.

https://youtu.be/-f05QYy9CHo
True but the next gen s-class is right around the corner so it will be miles ahead of the current gen. My LS is not the roomiest but it looks good, is unique, and does what I need it to do. My back seats are rarely used.
The following users liked this post:
badash (07-28-19)
Old 07-26-19, 01:30 PM
DiamondES
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRuger
True but the next gen s-class is right around the corner so it will be miles ahead of the current gen. My LS is not the roomiest but it looks good, is unique, and does what I need it to do. My back seats are rarely used.
Same here , my back seats are rarely used so the rear headroom was not a big factor for me. Your LS looks better, drives better and is probably more comfortable than a S Class or 750i , so if you are trading it in you are more than likely looking for something "different" and not necessarily "better"
Old 07-27-19, 02:59 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 191 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by DiamondES

https://youtu.be/-f05QYy9CHo
Lol they conveniently left out acceleration and that fact that the Benz has a TTV8. I'm not a huge fan of the new Lexus styling but that 500 they were testing looks great from the front.
Old 08-01-19, 10:10 PM
SL%%
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dolph1
Earlier this week a salesman at my local Lexus dealer told me the LS500 is getting a V8. I didn’t see anything in my internet search on this. Maybe he is just speculating.
possible "F" model variant.... maybe

Quick Reply: Interesting take on the LS 500