IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 Lexus IS250 Aftermarket Stereo Install...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-19, 11:08 AM
natefisher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2014 Lexus IS250 Aftermarket Stereo Install...?

Hello all! New to the forum here. I just bought a 2014 Lexus IS250. Love the car, but the stereo took a dive a month after I paid for it. Has anyone done an aftermarket stereo install in one of these? Mine has the navigation and all that good stuff. I've only found installation information on 1st and 2nd gen IS250s. Nothing on a 3rd gen, and certainly nothing that can be installed on a vehicle with nav. Any information would be awesome! Thanks!
Old 10-04-19, 03:52 PM
athanato
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Not sure if this solution will solve your issue because you have to figure out what exactly failed on the stock system but it's a start.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...x4shop-ca.html
Old 10-04-19, 05:14 PM
natefisher
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the stock system is down for the count. I'm waiting to see if a guy San Diego can fix it for me. Hopefully he can fix it for much less than the $6000 for a new unit... I wish someone would come up with something that I could put in to get that piece of crap stereo out of my awesome car.
Old 10-05-19, 09:42 AM
1slowes250
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by natefisher
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the stock system is down for the count. I'm waiting to see if a guy San Diego can fix it for me. Hopefully he can fix it for much less than the $6000 for a new unit... I wish someone would come up with something that I could put in to get that piece of crap stereo out of my awesome car.
If it's able to be repaired let us know.. otherwise you're going to be looking for a used one on eBay or at a wrecking yard...
Old 10-06-19, 01:41 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Kinda depends what the failure is, which will dictate the repair.
If there is no sound, then the Amp in the trunk is the likely cause.
If the Navi screen is black or constantly rebooting, then the head unit is the cause.
The following users liked this post:
Jessicais250 (07-17-24)
Old 10-16-19, 01:08 PM
natefisher
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, didn't see your reply! The unit won't even power up now. It was powering up intermittently, but now, nothing. I've checked the pin to pin voltage and everything looks good as far as supply power. I think I will be sending this unit over to Radioman Repair in San Diego very soon.
Old 12-06-19, 07:09 AM
natefisher
Driver School Candidate

So, the news about this is probably as expected. I was not able to figure out a solution besides going to the dealer. They did treat me really well though. Kudos to Willis Lexus in Clive, Iowa! They found a replacement unit for much less than the expected cost of $6000. The new unit installed was just over $2700, and a great benefit is that they gave me a 2019 Lexus to drive for an entire week for just $10. They also provide a 1 year warranty on the unit! So if something else is causing the problem they will fix it, gratis. I was a little bummed that I had to shell out $2700 on a replacement factory stereo, but it could have been much worse. So, I'm jamming out again, and that's really what matters most.
Old 12-06-19, 07:21 AM
babaijebu
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

So, the news about this is probably as expected. I was not able to figure out a solution besides going to the dealer. They did treat me really well though. Kudos to Willis Lexus in Clive, Iowa! They found a replacement unit for much less than the expected cost of $6000. The new unit installed was just over $2700, and a great benefit is that they gave me a 2019 Lexus to drive for an entire week for just $10. They also provide a 1 year warranty on the unit! So if something else is causing the problem they will fix it, gratis. I was a little bummed that I had to shell out $2700 on a replacement factory stereo, but it could have been much worse. So, I'm jamming out again, and that's really what matters most.

Jeez, that's a lot of coins. Did you check some old threads about the troubleshooting some people that experienced the issue did? I have seen some threads about this same issue in the past.
Old 12-06-19, 08:16 AM
natefisher
Driver School Candidate

I tried everything that I could find. Nothing worked. I even went as far as replacing the capacitors in the PCB. The unit was shot, completely. I was hopeful that I could fix it, but I was not successful. I looked into an Android radio that was all encapsulated in the screen. That was a gamble though, as the information included from the manufacturers in China was sub-par. I could have tried it, but it would be potentially throwing away $1000 if it didn't work.
Old 12-06-19, 01:40 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Did they just replace the head unit? If so then it was just another pre-2017. There was a guy on here who managed to get both head and screen from a 2017+ for pretty reasonable, which would be a nice upgrade with the 10" display.
Old 12-06-19, 01:55 PM
natefisher
Driver School Candidate

They just replaced the head unit. I did ask a guy that made a YouTube video how he replaced his 2014 unit with a 2017. I never got a reply back. I wonder what he had to do to get that swapped out properly. Do you have the URL for that thread?
Old 12-06-19, 05:49 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

They just replaced the head unit. I did ask a guy that made a YouTube video how he replaced his 2014 unit with a 2017. I never got a reply back. I wonder what he had to do to get that swapped out properly. Do you have the URL for that thread?
I think it's the same guy who posted it here. Don't recall exactly where it is, but it was a fair length. I do believe that the connectors are different, so you have to replace both components.
Old 09-11-21, 01:13 AM
Abuwriek
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
I think it's the same guy who posted it here. Don't recall exactly where it is, but it was a fair length. I do believe that the connectors are different, so you have to replace both components.
please im having the same problem,i have to replace headunit. Anywayz does the replacement have to be same serial nm and paceplate id as mine?? Thanks
Old 07-17-24, 09:13 AM
Jessicais250
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Kinda depends what the failure is, which will dictate the repair.
If there is no sound, then the Amp in the trunk is the likely cause.
If the Navi screen is black or constantly rebooting, then the head unit is the cause.
Do you know where I can get mine fixed other than lexus dealership? They quoted me $3,500.00! HELP! I'm in the GTA
Old Today, 01:40 AM
dimep
2nd gear

Originally Posted by Jessicais250
Do you know where I can get mine fixed other than lexus dealership? They quoted me $3,500.00! HELP! I'm in the GTA
If there's a problem with factory screen, replacing it with an aftermarket 10.25" android screen like this(https://www.dvdgpsnav.com/aftermarke...e-carplay.html) works, just $599.