ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Chrome trim around base of shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-20 | 05:53 PM
ch8458
Driver School Candidate

Default Chrome trim around base of shift ****

My wife's 2015 ES 350 is immaculate - or so I thought. I noticed the chrome-plated bezel below the shift **** is starting to bubble and will eventually peel. The number I have for the entire shifter console assembly is 58804-33730. I see used ones on ebay for $85 to $170 but I may be in for the same issue. The rest of the assembly is ok. Does anyone know if you can get just the chrome trim piece or perhaps a smaller subassembly of this big, expensive looking part?

Here's a picture of the area I'm talking about (from ebay):

How much of a PITA will this be to get out? Any tricks I need to know about?

The nice thing about ebay is you see the part removed and where the clips are. Here's a look at the bottom where the u-shaped part I really need is held in by 6 phillips pan head screws:

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by ch8458; 01-05-20 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-05-20 | 07:54 PM
st1800
Advanced

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts-...tml?PNC=58805C

doesn’t look like the chrome is available separately.
Old 01-06-20 | 07:26 AM
ch8458
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. That's what I thought. I'll probably get the ebay one and see which one has the better surrounding parts. Still wondering how painful it will be to get to. I found some sort of repair manual online. The website's in Russian, but the manual itself is in English.
Old 01-06-20 | 08:06 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Have you considered the possibility of using a silver colored vinyl wrap to cover that part?

I have no idea how difficult it would be to do so, but it would be a very inexpensive repair.
Old 01-08-20 | 06:59 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

I'd go to my local salvage yard and get one.... Should be plenty available by this time... And it wouldn't be an aftermarket part...
Old 01-08-20 | 08:23 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bc6152
I'd go to my local salvage yard and get one.... Should be plenty available by this time... And it wouldn't be an aftermarket part...
I think that is a suggestion worth pursuing. The potential problem, however, will be finding one that is still in a decent condition. For the pre-mid-cycle refresh Generation 6 ES, the area surrounding the shift selector is piano black that is very susceptible to scratching and dulling if the car owner was not very careful with regard to how he/she cleaned that area or if he/she was careless about what objects were allowed to sit on top of that area. You can see that, even in the picture posted by the OP of this thread, the area around his/her shift selector is dulled and has lots of surface scratches.
The following users liked this post:
ch8458 (01-12-20)
Old 01-08-20 | 11:54 AM
CF01
Rookie

Originally Posted by lesz
I think that is a suggestion worth pursuing. The potential problem, however, will be finding one that is still in a decent condition. For the pre-mid-cycle refresh Generation 6 ES, the area surrounding the shift selector is piano black that is very susceptible to scratching and dulling if the car owner was not very careful with regard to how he/she cleaned that area or if he/she was careless about what objects were allowed to sit on top of that area. You can see that, even in the picture posted by the OP of this thread, the area around his/her shift selector is dulled and has lots of surface scratches.
That area could probably be polished up pretty nice with a microfiber cloth and some compound/polish. The right attachment for a rotary tool might work great too.
The following users liked this post:
ch8458 (01-12-20)
Old 01-12-20 | 03:11 PM
ch8458
Driver School Candidate

Lesz, I like your first suggestion about a chrome wrap. It will be painful to get all the old chrome off and any residue. Still, it's worth a try. BTW, those pictures are ones I stole from eBay. I love using the pics on eBay to figure out how things go together. That and alldata are lifesavers. in that regard. My black trim is pretty mint. If i scratch it getting it apart, I've got polishing compounds that are as fine as they get, so I can polish the black stuff if need be. Thanks for all the input folks!
Old 02-01-20 | 04:56 PM
crichnikov
Driver School Candidate

My chrome bezel is also wavy/bubbled. the dealer would not do anything for it under warranty
Old 02-22-20 | 12:04 PM
Megapea
Driver School Candidate

My 2015 had the exact same issue. My car was still under tithe 50,000 bumper to bumper

warranty so I contacted the dealership. He replaced mine,(begrudgingly) making me feel like he had to pay for the repair out of his own pocket! I was not pleased at all with that type of treatment. One of the reasons that I bought a Lexus was for the “excellent customer service”. I will not ever use that dealership again, and hopefully, with Lexus reliability, i won’t have to use any dealership.
Old 02-22-20 | 12:05 PM
Megapea
Driver School Candidate

This was my “before” pic.
Old 02-24-20 | 01:07 PM
mandyfig

Wow, that's a shame. Chrome plating failing big time.
Old 09-07-24 | 03:26 AM
nerdland
4th Gear

My chrome is doing the same thing. What was your eventual solution? Did you manage to find just the chrome piece? Pick and pull maybe? How hard was it to remove, etc
Old 09-07-24 | 03:27 AM
nerdland
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ch8458
Thank you. That's what I thought. I'll probably get the ebay one and see which one has the better surrounding parts. Still wondering how painful it will be to get to. I found some sort of repair manual online. The website's in Russian, but the manual itself is in English.
My chrome is doing the same thing. What was your eventual solution? Did you manage to find just the chrome piece? Pick and pull maybe? How hard was it to remove, etc
Old 09-08-24 | 05:03 PM
tyleres
Rookie

Originally Posted by nerdland

You may not be aware but you revived a thread that's last been active 4 years ago.

Anyway, the chrome is not available separately, and I happen to be selling the shift console if you're interested in buying it. The part number is early in this thread to search ebay and my name is in both my CL username and my ebay store name.

Quick Reply: Chrome trim around base of shift knob