RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2020 RX350 abnormal tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-20, 07:37 AM
joewnj
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2020 RX350 abnormal tire wear

My wife purchased a 2020 RX350 in early Oct 2019. After one month and a vacation trip, I realized that the car needed a wheel alignment. I took it in to the local dealer and they aligned the wheels. The car still did not feel right compared to my 2018 RX350. Over the weekend, we took it on the highway. It wandered all over the lane and the lane keeping/tracking/centering kept making aggressive movements until I turned it off. When we got home, I noticed that both front tires had feathering on the outer edge of the tires. I took it into the dealer yesterday and was told there was nothing wrong. After a lot of discussion back and forth between me, the service guy and the shop foreman, they agreed to put it on the alignment machine and the alignment was fine. The shop foreman showed me several loner cars with the same tire wear. He gave me the standard answer "That is Normal." I said there must be something wrong because if I go to the Bridgestone Tire web site they say feathering is because of bad wheel alignment. But he insisted that this was normal for the Bridgestone tires but it was not seen on the Michelin tires. I said I never seen it on any of the other RXs I have had. He showed my how to turn off the lane centering system (and leave the lane tracking system on), and the car does drive better but the tire wear bothers me. Each of the RXs I or my wife have owned, with Bridgestone tires, have only gotten about 20,000 miles on them before needing replacement. So I am concerned that with tire wear we will get even less. She does mostly local driving.
Anyone else have a similar experience with the 2020 RX and Bridgestone tires? The vehicle came with 18" wheels/tires. It is not an F-sport.
Joe
Old 03-05-20, 10:30 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 495 Likes on 373 Posts

Joe, do yourself a favor and take it to a known, trusted alignment shop. If they see something wrong and can fix it, bring the bill to your dealer and tell them it's fixed.
Oh and ask him why you should have to turn off any of the driver assist functions if the car is "acting normal".

Last edited by ravenuer; 03-05-20 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-02-24, 06:57 PM
Fasty23
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have exact same tire issue on my rx350 2016

@joewnj I have exact same issue on my rx350, If I want to write about the issue it would be exact same except I drove it and my other car is not Lexus, if you find solution please share with me, I’m frustrated with this problem and dealership denial, I took the car to other tire shop and alignment was right, I know when a car get a bad accident could cause this kind of issue but my car was brand new and had this problem since I bought it and never had accident, I’m suspect something other than alignment was wrong with car from factory, and dealership miss it.
Old 07-02-24, 07:27 PM
hereforthedough
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, that sucks about the tire wear. Hope you find a solution soon!
Old 07-03-24, 04:44 AM
joewnj
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately about a year after we purchased the car, my wife drove too close to the curb on our street and ripped open one of the tires on a sewer drainage opening. It also damaged one of the wheels. We live on a steep hill so it was not possible to safely change the bad tire and wheel. I had the car towed in and replaced all four tires with Michelin tires, replaced the damaged wheel and had the car aligned. It worked perfectly with the new tires. I traded it in on a 2024 RX350h last fall. Car tracked perfectly the entire time and tire wear was minimal. My assumption is that the old tires were defective or that driving on them with the wheels badly aligned damaged them. Either way, I will never get another vehicle with B... tires again.

By the way one of my previous RXs (also B... tires) would pull to the right even though the wheel alignment was good. A friend who owned a shop suggested cross rotating the tires. (left rear to right front; right rear to left front, right front to left rear, left front to right rear). That fixed it. While tires that are not perfect and pull, they sometimes can be fixed by cross rotation, apparently that fix is lost on most shops.
So try cross rotating the tires or replace them with a better brand.
Joe
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (07-03-24)