How does the AWD system work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 05:58 PM
BYRON3IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the AWD system work?

Hello, its my first post here.

I recently acquired my Canadian 2017 IS350 F-Sport, which means the only drive train option is AWD, and I've heard a couple different explanations about how the AWD system works. I've heard that it is RWD bias, sending 70 to the rear and 30 to the front with up to 50/50, or FWD bias with the same power splits. So how does the AWD system really work in the 2017 IS350?

Thanks!
Old 06-15-20, 07:32 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by BYRON3IS
Hello, its my first post here.

I recently acquired my Canadian 2017 IS350 F-Sport, which means the only drive train option is AWD, and I've heard a couple different explanations about how the AWD system works. I've heard that it is RWD bias, sending 70 to the rear and 30 to the front with up to 50/50, or FWD bias with the same power splits. So how does the AWD system really work in the 2017 IS350?

Thanks!
Its a rear biased AWD system. Roughly 70% of power goes to the rear and it can split power 50/50 when detecting slippage.

Heres some more info quoted from a thread on here...

“Full-Time All-Wheel Drive
This traction-enhancing system distributes power to the front and rear axles during normal driving, and resists sending power to an axle that encounters a low-grip surface.
• A planetary-type center differential and chain drive provide robust, reliable power transfer.
• A wet clutch helps keep an axle from spinning if the front or rear tires encounter slick pavement.
• The clutch engages smoothly and avoids binding when making tight turns.
• Traction control is specially tuned to work in concert with the all-wheel-drive system.

• A robust differential continually delivers power to the front and rear axles.
• The planetary gear design eliminates binding when making sharp turns.
• The wet-clutch limited-slip device helps to keep wheels from spinning on very slippery surfaces.
• Electronic controls help the system respond quickly to changing road and driving conditions

VDIM with Sport Mode:
• One of the high-performance features included on IS 250 and IS 350 F SPORT sedans.
• When VDIM Sport Mode is selected, the VSC and TRAC programming switch to a high-performance mode that raises the threshold at which the systems intervene.
• VDIM Sport Mode allows the driver to accelerate, corner and, in some cases brake more aggressively, without activating VSC.
• VDIM Sport Mode allows the driver to accelerate from a corner or pull away from a dead stop with TRAC operating in A-LSD mode—simulating a limited-slip differential.
• Each time the vehicle is started, VDIM defaults to normal mode”
The following 2 users liked this post by NickCaesar:
BYRON3IS (06-16-20), Coconut (09-12-22)
Old 09-10-22, 12:52 PM
jlc45
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for posting. I know this is not a recent thread, but I just got my car so I'm interested in how the AWD system works.
The info posted above is probably accurate but it's a bit vague. I'm interested in more detail. I'm looking for a more thorough description of the powerflow from the engine to the wheels. Can anyone refer me to a source with diagrams etc.? Thanks very much. Jim
Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM
george42
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Technical Overview

Originally Posted by jlc45
Thanks for posting. I know this is not a recent thread, but I just got my car so I'm interested in how the AWD system works.
The info posted above is probably accurate but it's a bit vague. I'm interested in more detail. I'm looking for a more thorough description of the powerflow from the engine to the wheels. Can anyone refer me to a source with diagrams etc.? Thanks very much. Jim
I know I might be a tad late, but hopefully this is helpful too you.

https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/11..._ifour_eng.htm
Old Today, 04:54 AM
jlc45
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by george42
I know I might be a tad late, but hopefully this is helpful too you.

https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/11..._ifour_eng.htm
THANK YOU! The material was very helpful. I'm very glad you responded. Cheers. JC
Old Today, 05:17 AM
jlc45
Driver School Candidate

I've had my Lexus now for just over 2 years, and I like driving it, although I've only put 4000 km on it, all in good weather. I don't drive it in the winter..
The car is a '17 IS 350 AWD and I bought it at Performance Lexus in St. Catherines, Ontario. (I live in Ancaster, part of Hamilton.)
It was in very nice condition with 38,000 km. At the time, it was the only 350 IS available and I was happy with the car and the dealer was very good to work with.
I replaced all the rotors and pads. What's visible is all good. There are two things I don't like, and I am a fussbudget. I don't think I have OCD but my wife might beg to differ.
The previous owner must have parked the car outdoors as the underside is quite rusty. I'm not sure if I had known that whether it would have deterred me from buying. Other wise the car was pretty much perfect for a 5 year old car (at the time). The engine revs at about 1400 rpm on startup when it's cold and takes quite a while to settle down. I don't like putting it into reverse with high revs, so I usually wait, but it seems to take too long to me.. Are they all like this? I disconnected the battery and cleaned the throttle body which was moderately dirty and it seems slightly better. I'm not sure if I will keep this car forever. That was the plan, but I haven't really fallen in love with it so far. JC