IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Weird rattle noise from driver's side door when window is fully up

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-21, 07:18 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Weird rattle noise from driver's side door when window is fully up

Hey all, trying to track down an intermittent rattle noise from the driver's side door. It only occurs when the window is fully up and only when the car runs over some rough pavement, but it is not always reproducible. Sometimes the noise is gone even when I drive on those rough surfaces.

Here's the weird part - when I crack the window a little bit (ever so slightly), the rattles seem to stop. I'm wondering if anyone has had something similar on their car? Thanks.
Old 01-18-21, 10:25 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by GNS
Hey all, trying to track down an intermittent rattle noise from the driver's side door. It only occurs when the window is fully up and only when the car runs over some rough pavement, but it is not always reproducible. Sometimes the noise is gone even when I drive on those rough surfaces.

Here's the weird part - when I crack the window a little bit (ever so slightly), the rattles seem to stop. I'm wondering if anyone has had something similar on their car? Thanks.
Where exactly on the driver's door are you hearing it? Top? Bottom? Side? My 2020 has a rattle at the top of the door glass, where the window meets the black plastic trim on the inside. Only happens when cold out. If I press up against the black trim, it quiets down. Very inconsistent though and only when it's below 55 degrees. Haven't mentioned to dealer yet.
Old 01-18-21, 10:31 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Where exactly on the driver's door are you hearing it? Top? Bottom? Side? My 2020 has a rattle at the top of the door glass, where the window meets the black plastic trim on the inside. Only happens when cold out. If I press up against the black trim, it quiets down. Very inconsistent though and only when it's below 55 degrees. Haven't mentioned to dealer yet.
It kind of sounds like it is coming from the textured portion at the bottom of the window, but like I mentioned, the noise seems to go away if I wind the window down a very tiny amount. Given that the rattle doesn't happen with the window cracked just a tiny bit, the noise could be coming from that black trim you're talking about.

Which part of the black trim do you press on? And what is your method of pressing on the trim, ie. press upwards with the fingers of the left hand?
Old 01-18-21, 10:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by GNS
It kind of sounds like it is coming from the textured portion at the bottom of the window, but like I mentioned, the noise seems to go away if I wind the window down a very tiny amount. Given that the rattle doesn't happen with the window cracked just a tiny bit, the noise could be coming from that black trim you're talking about.

Which part of the black trim do you press on? And what is your method of pressing on the trim, ie. press upwards with the fingers of the left hand?
If yours is coming from the bottom of the window, it kinda sounds like the opposite of mine. I am pretty sure mine is coming from the top of the window, more towards the b-pillar, but still at the top region. There is a thick, black plastic frame on the inside of the door, where the window goes up into. I press upward on the bottom side of it and it mostly goes away. I think only a few times that didn't make a difference, but it mostly stops the rattle when I'm pushing up on it.
Old 01-18-21, 10:41 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
If yours is coming from the bottom of the window, it kinda sounds like the opposite of mine. I am pretty sure mine is coming from the top of the window, more towards the b-pillar, but still at the top region. There is a thick, black plastic frame on the inside of the door, where the window goes up into. I press upward on the bottom side of it and it mostly goes away. I think only a few times that didn't make a difference, but it mostly stops the rattle when I'm pushing up on it.
I'm going to try that next time I hear it making noises, which is most often when I'm starting my commute and the interior hasn't warmed up. Meanwhile try opening your window a sliver - press down on the button for a fraction of a second, then wind it up just a tiny bit so that it closes the gap and there is no wind noise / whistle but the glass is still not fully up. See if that also makes your rattles go away.

Do you press near the upper left portion or near the middle of the window?
Old 01-19-21, 07:56 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 282 Likes on 210 Posts

Another help that I've done in the past on other cars when I rarely encountered this was a fine piece of felt that I ran on the door edge right below the window trim guard on the inside (as most windows curve lightly inward).
Old 01-19-21, 01:04 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tofuprod
Another help that I've done in the past on other cars when I rarely encountered this was a fine piece of felt that I ran on the door edge right below the window trim guard on the inside (as most windows curve lightly inward).
I'm trying to imagine this on my window trim - so I could get a very fine piece of felt (Home Depot, I guess?) and cut off a strip. Do I stick this inside the window frame (ie. where the window glass slides up and down in) at the top or on the side running parallel to the B pillar? If it goes on the inside, does it stick on the top, or on the side closest to the outside, or the side closest to the interior (if my description makes any sense)?

Thanks, sorry for the confusing words, hope it is understandable enough.
Old 01-20-21, 07:10 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,945 Likes on 1,992 Posts

I had a noise near the top of the glass like that, and it seemed like lowering and raising the window glass (i.e. opening and then closing) usually fixed the issue. This occurred pretty much throughout my entire ownership during the winter months. Sounds like you have something different, but wanted to throw it out there in case it helps.

Maybe, with repsect to your last question, you could try reproducing the noise while the car is sitting still? i.e., if you are standing outside the car and press on the glass and/or door frame, does it make a sound? I've used this method to track down creaks and rattles in other cars.
Old 01-20-21, 08:03 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by GNS
I'm trying to imagine this on my window trim - so I could get a very fine piece of felt (Home Depot, I guess?) and cut off a strip. Do I stick this inside the window frame (ie. where the window glass slides up and down in) at the top or on the side running parallel to the B pillar? If it goes on the inside, does it stick on the top, or on the side closest to the outside, or the side closest to the interior (if my description makes any sense)?

Thanks, sorry for the confusing words, hope it is understandable enough.
Hey bud, yes exactly as you described (it makes sense), I put it on the inside of the window frame [where it slides up and down] and I put it on the closest side to the interior.

Basically, if you take off your door panel and look straight down from up top, it would be right there. It worked for me and the problem hasn't come back in years.
The following users liked this post:
GNS (01-20-21)
Old 01-20-21, 08:36 AM
GNS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arentz07
I had a noise near the top of the glass like that, and it seemed like lowering and raising the window glass (i.e. opening and then closing) usually fixed the issue. This occurred pretty much throughout my entire ownership during the winter months. Sounds like you have something different, but wanted to throw it out there in case it helps.

Maybe, with repsect to your last question, you could try reproducing the noise while the car is sitting still? i.e., if you are standing outside the car and press on the glass and/or door frame, does it make a sound? I've used this method to track down creaks and rattles in other cars.
I found this last night: https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/...-rattle.12096/

Post #6 says:

The rattle you're probably hearing is really the door squirming around a bit as the car moves. The rubber seals around the doors rub against the body in the door frame making the annoying, squeaking, creaking, crunching noise. Tapping your window down relieves the stress in the top part of the door frame so it doesn't push the seals as tightly. This is why lowering the window makes it go away.

Rub down the door seals (both on the door and in the door jams) with silicon lubricant. (*Not the window channel where the door glass tucks up into.) Honda's Shin-Etsu is preferred because it tends to last longer, is water repellent, and doesn't collect grime.

For years with my 2003 I lubricated the window seals with varying success. When I started lubricating the door seals, the noise went away all together. There's no need to grease up the window channel, just the larger door seals. I know - you wouldn't think lubing the door seals would work, but try it. It's the damnedest thing and might save you from pulling your hair out.
His first paragraph makes sense because the noise seems to go away when I crack the window a bit, which relieves the pressure from the glass. I'm going to get a bottle of Einzatt Gummi Pflege and apply it to all the driver door seals, and especially near the top part.

In the meanwhile, I did a small test with silicone spray (as long as the spray doesn't smell too much like petroleum distillate) and rubbed it into the seals, and the rattling noise seemed to go away for the couple of test drives I took it on. It was -2C (28F), and I made sure to find all the cracked parts of the street and the noise appears to be greatly reduced (if not gone). When the Gummi Pflege arrives, I'll do a wipe down of the seals and apply the stuff.
Old 01-20-21, 09:16 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,945 Likes on 1,992 Posts

I use that Shin-Etsu lubricant, too. It worked really well for the sunroof on my GTI and also for the top door seals.
Old 01-20-21, 11:25 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by arentz07
I use that Shin-Etsu lubricant, too. It worked really well for the sunroof on my GTI and also for the top door seals.
+2 on shin-etsu grease. A tube will last you a lifetime, a little goes a long way.

I have that for my s2000's hardtop and I use it for nearly everything rubber/poly to prolong the life. Works awesome.
Old 01-20-21, 03:06 PM
GNS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tofuprod
+2 on shin-etsu grease. A tube will last you a lifetime, a little goes a long way.

I have that for my s2000's hardtop and I use it for nearly everything rubber/poly to prolong the life. Works awesome.
What sucks is that Shin-Etsu is not available in Canada, I'd have to buy it off Ebay or Amazon. I might do that anyway, even though I'm getting the Gummi Pflege, just in case I want something a little thicker. Just bought some off eBay, I'll alternate between the Gummi Pflege and Shin Etsu as needed, I'm sure it's overkill but eh.

Edit: I did a thorough application of that Gummi Pflege on the door and body seals and the rattle is gone.

Last edited by GNS; 01-31-21 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-18-21, 08:42 PM
tff
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

If you still have this problem then check out my post at the end of this thread. I had the same kind of noise that went away with the window cracked open.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-solution.html
Old 12-19-21, 04:23 PM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

My car does the same every few months. Just get some silicone spray or lube and use it on the door seals. It's winter now so it is dryer air, so rubber may creak more.

Quick Reply: Weird rattle noise from driver's side door when window is fully up