IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Infotainment system

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-21 | 03:29 PM
Ajowhan
Pit Crew

Default Infotainment system

Hi guys,

A while back, I was asking about the infotainment system that suddenly died and doesn't turn on anymore, the back up camera still work.

I have tried unplugging battery and all that and it looks like the system is dead. The usb charger also stop working along with it.

I am considering of doing the replacement with the android head units with the wider screen. Do you guys think this will work by replacing the head units or could it possibly have some other problems instead?
Old 02-25-21 | 05:48 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

In regards to the android unit, it replaces the multi display in the vehicle.
The original multi display is just a display that is driven by the radio head unit.
The Android unit has the same function, but it has it's own independent functionality as well.
So when you replace the multi display with the Android unit, the Android unit will function, but any radio functionality that would have been ported to the Android unit will not work if the radio head unit has an issue.
In a nutshell, for the Android unit to function properly 100%, the radio needs to function properly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
Ajowhan (02-25-21), GCLexus (05-27-24)
Old 02-25-21 | 06:32 AM
Ajowhan
Pit Crew

Thank you for the reply as always!

I see, in that case, I think Im just gonna have to learn to live with it for maybe another year then start looking into changing it..
Old 05-27-24 | 09:12 AM
GCLexus
Driver School Candidate

Hey Ajowhan, did you end up resolving your issue? If yes, could you tell me how? My 2014 IS 350 screen keeps rebooting.
Old 05-27-24 | 10:12 AM
Ajowhan
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GCLexus
Hey Ajowhan, did you end up resolving your issue? If yes, could you tell me how? My 2014 IS 350 screen keeps rebooting.
solved it by trading the car in for a 2018 m240i 3 years ago lol
Old 05-30-24 | 08:22 AM
GCLexus
Driver School Candidate

Good move. Thanks for replying bud.
Old 06-04-24 | 11:03 PM
Holm
2nd gear

I have been sharing information widely to encourage everyone to file a complaint on the Lexus website. Since many of us are facing the same issue, why don't we file claims collectively until a recall is issued?"
Old 06-05-24 | 08:08 AM
GCLexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Holm
I have been sharing information widely to encourage everyone to file a complaint on the Lexus website. Since many of us are facing the same issue, why don't we file claims collectively until a recall is issued?"
I am with you man. Are you located in US or Canada? We could create a standard template for the complaint and then multiple members can submit it so that it gets more attention. Or we could even start a petition and then advertise it here so people can sign it. Let me know.
Old 06-11-24 | 09:49 AM
14IS350FSPORT
1st Gear

I am with you man. Are you located in US or Canada? We could create a standard template for the complaint and then multiple members can submit it so that it gets more attention. Or we could even start a petition and then advertise it here so people can sign it. Let me know.
I’ve been suffering with is issue for a little over a year and a half and now it’s gotten to the point where it doesn’t even want to boot up. My back up camera works just like it should.
Old 06-20-24 | 06:54 AM
GCLexus
Driver School Candidate

I got it fixed. It's working fine now. Which part of the world are you located?
Old 06-24-24 | 09:49 PM
n1ckel
7th Gear

May I know what process you got it fixed? Was it the repair service on Ebay?

Anyone delved deeper into the electronics on the boards?
Old 06-25-24 | 08:49 AM
GCLexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by n1ckel
May I know what process you got it fixed? Was it the repair service on Ebay?

Anyone delved deeper into the electronics on the boards?
I got it fixed by a local guy in the Greater Toronto Area. The cost was $1050 CAD. I can give you more information if you are in this area.
Due to the language barrier, I didn't have a conversation with him regarding the specifics of how he fixed it. I believe he said he reloaded the software, but I am not certain.
Old 06-25-24 | 09:04 AM
n1ckel
7th Gear

I got it fixed by a local guy in the Greater Toronto Area. The cost was $1050 CAD. I can give you more information if you are in this area.
Due to the language barrier, I didn't have a conversation with him regarding the specifics of how he fixed it. I believe he said he reloaded the software, but I am not certain.
thats good to know. I’m not in the GTA area, but it would be great to get some more information.
I could plan to have it sent to GTA rather than overseas.
Old 06-25-24 | 10:30 AM
SlvrBullett
4th Gear

My first post on the site. I have been a follower for years and have owned a 2104 IS 250 but after a year traded it in as I wanted more power. I purchased a brand new 2015 IS 350 and have owned it since. It only has 85,000 KM as I barely drive it.

At 5 years ownership and 55,000 KM, my audio system died after a battery swap. Screen works when backing up and I can hear the cd eject motor come on when that button is pressed, but screen black, no audio or Bluetooth...nothing. So I have been without audio since before Covid. Just recently I decided to get a quote from Heffner Lexus in Kitchener. Even with my plant discount, the cost to replace with a refurbished unit (in which 3 techs agreed that it was not the amp or display but the head unit) after labor and taxes would be $2900. No way I will pay that much. But I asked if I can drive the car with the unit removed in case I wanted to take your route and send it to an audio repair tech, in which I can but I won't have temperature controls.

If you can pass along the info for your repair guy that would be awesome. If I don't use him, at least I will have an idea on what type of repair service to search for.
Old 06-25-24 | 10:40 AM
n1ckel
7th Gear

The worst part for me is that the car was under an extended service contract till last year when the issue was happening. Decided to do something about it this year but noticed the service contract now and its expired now 🤦🏻‍♂️ fml

Quick Reply: Infotainment system