NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

How well does the “lane keep assist” feature work

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-22, 06:56 PM
Birdman325
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default How well does the “lane keep assist” feature work

Can anyone comment on how well the lane keep assist feature ( or whatever the proper Lexus name is for it) works on the new NX? Does it actually keep the vehicle centred in the lane on the highway over long distances, curves etc?
Old 01-30-22, 07:01 PM
adb04
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdman325
Can anyone comment on how well the lane keep assist feature ( or whatever the proper Lexus name is for it) works on the new NX? Does it actually keep the vehicle centred in the lane on the highway over long distances, curves etc?
I have used it along with the adaptive cruise control on freeway couple of time (~60 miles drive), and it worked pretty well. It doesn't do ant phantom breaking like Tesla at all. I am impressed so far.
The following 2 users liked this post by adb04:
Doug007 (01-01-23), murtlexus (02-04-22)
Old 01-30-22, 07:06 PM
chumpchang
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

LKA works very well in dry conditions or slightly wet conditions. The system will struggle if there is heavy rain or snow as will most systems throughout the luxury segment (BMW, Merc). Lane centering is very capable, I’ve found that I rarely need to add any input on the minor curves on the road, however it will alert you to pay attention on the sharper turns (turns where you have to slow down to 40-50 mph for) in case it drifts from the lane. It’s definitely more capable than the LKA in the ES.
Old 01-30-22, 07:34 PM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

Works just great….compared to new BMWs…which jolt/throw you into the lane center should you slightly stray. Wishing the infotainment worked as well.
Old 01-31-22, 05:52 AM
hintonwood
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

When I tried it on my UX I didn’t like it. I like to drive off centre if I am in one of the outer lanes of the motorway and I found I was always getting resistance from the system through the steering wheel as it tried to put me in the centre of the white lines. I have left it switched off ever since.
Old 01-31-22, 05:54 AM
Pharbor
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

Works great except in snow. Driving back through a snow storm this weekend my dashboard lite up with one error after another. I finally had to ignore them, clearing the sensors when I was through the storm restored everything. The lane keeping is great - sometimes it would get a little close to a truck, but on a 150 mile drive I only had to correct it 3 times.
Old 01-31-22, 06:14 AM
chumpchang
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hintonwood
When I tried it on my UX I didn’t like it. I like to drive off centre if I am in one of the outer lanes of the motorway and I found I was always getting resistance from the system through the steering wheel as it tried to put me in the centre of the white lines. I have left it switched off ever since.
The UX uses the Lexus safety system 2.0. NX is on 3.0
Old 01-31-22, 06:31 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

So far, I've found that the Lane Centering works very well compared to other Lexus models.
Old 01-31-22, 07:07 AM
hintonwood
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Chumpchang- Thanks for the info. I look forward to trying the new version later this week!😬

Last edited by hintonwood; 01-31-22 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Word missed out
Old 01-31-22, 03:40 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 849 Likes on 642 Posts

adb04 added a point that deserves a highlight. The Adaptive Speed Control and the Lane Trace work
together and and work better together than individually. The LTA can be left on but if you get into a habit
of turning on the Cruise Control even if you do not actually set a speed it will improve the LTA performance.
Old 01-31-22, 04:53 PM
NX450h
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I found it works pretty well but like the other poster said when it was snowing all the sensors started giving error on the screen. Seems poorly tuned snow and slush flying around.
Old 01-31-22, 05:47 PM
nitrolada
Pit Crew

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

based on my hour long test drive , yes it does. works a lot better than the LKA in the 2019 RX
Old 01-31-22, 07:12 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 532 Likes on 347 Posts
Question Not for inclement weather !

Originally Posted by Pharbor
Works great except in snow. Driving back through a snow storm this weekend my dashboard lite up with one error after another. I finally had to ignore them, clearing the sensors when I was through the storm restored everything. The lane keeping is great - sometimes it would get a little close to a truck, but on a 150 mile drive I only had to correct it 3 times.
Why would anyone try to use it in snow, snow/ice , or sleet ? I am glad I live in Texas

YMMV,
Midcow3
The following 2 users liked this post by midcow3:
Dkaplan (06-21-24), dklanecky1 (02-01-22)
Old 02-01-22, 06:12 AM
NX450h
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
Why would anyone try to use it in snow, snow/ice , or sleet ? I am glad I live in Texas

YMMV,
Midcow3
Because I just leave it on and it comes on with cruise control which is useful on the freeway. I don’t feel comfortable yet toggling things on and off when actually driving. The UI is a bit distracting. But the implementation is mild enough that when it’s you can drive normally and forget that you have LKA on.

Since I’m never going to take my hands off the steering wheel and pretend it’s self driving (ahem Tesla) I really don’t need it to beep like crazy when the sensors are blocked. It acts like they have failed when in fact it’s just slush covering them.
Old 02-01-22, 07:41 AM
Peterun
Pit Crew

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi NX450h. Glad you’re making progress in your quest to normalize your NX. Wish I could say the same for my NX450h. Lexus corporate has made arrangements for my vehicle to be dropped off at the local dealership for an unspecified time frame. Getting things to work has been a new career position for me. Frankly, I need the relief. Going from one screen to another is often times a 10 minute process. I’ve discarded my profile and solely use the guest mode thru the wired USB connection. Sometimes works. I feel like celebrating when my iPhone 13 Pro phone actually integrates.

About my NX…..rock solid, almighty on the road. Not a single rattle, vibration, odd sound. Drives wonderfully….and it’s power is strong and seamless and linear. The seating position (and seat comfort) is perfect for me. Not a fan of the run flats…and I’m thinking the ride on freeways could be a little less choppy. My NX450h is NOT the F-Sport version.

That’s my update. Hoping the dash does not have to be dismantled today…and that this is strictly a software issue.
The following users liked this post:
murtlexus (02-04-22)

Quick Reply: How well does the “lane keep assist” feature work