IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

So, you really can't order a Lexus, right?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-22, 03:31 AM
dacunn
Driver School Candidate

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
Default So, you really can't order a Lexus, right?

We currently have a 21 IS350, and my wife is regretting her color choice, and not getting the Mark Levinson. With the crazy trade in values, I told her she could just trade it in, not lose money, and we could get her a 22 that she's happy with. Problem is, we want a 350 with Levinson, but not triple beams and active suspension (we're in 50s, and don't care about that). This would keep the sticker at like 52 instead of 57. Out issue is, the dealer said they never get cars like that.

A little background, I owned 2 4Runners and a Tundra before my new F350 and I know how the Toyota allocation system works. You never really "order" a Toyota, they just make you think you did, and they wait for an allocation that's close. This is entirely different than my new F350 I traded the Tundra on, where I checked off specific options, put money down, got a confirmation from Ford with my order and build date, and more emails as my truck was built, shipped, and arrived.

My dealer originally told us he could get car, so we tell him what we want and wait. A few weeks later he says we can put down 1k and that will prioritize our place in line to get what we want. I told him I knew about allocations, and he could be honest with us, but he didn't budge and swore he could get us the car. So...later after a month or so of waiting, we go in a second time later ane he changes story and says he can "special order", but now it's 5k and takes 6 months.

Long story short, I know he's full of crap, and is trying to make us take settle for a 57k car with options we really don't want, cause he really can't special order anything, which is why he went from 1k to 5k, probably to force us to settle on a more expensive car than wha we really want. I know Toyota/Lexus probably have the same process, so my ultimate question is...is my dealer full of crap, and we can never really get the car we want?

Last edited by dacunn; 02-26-22 at 05:47 AM.
Old 02-26-22, 04:57 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,968 Likes on 1,053 Posts

If you can get away with being down one car for a few weeks to months, I would sell the IS now and wait for the one you want. Post it online for a private sale unless dealers will give you the same price or more.

As for your next car, yes and no the dealer is BSing you. Yes Toyota and Lexus have never taken custom orders. But no, the spec you want is actually available. In the 2021 model it was impossible to get ML without the DHP. I’m seeing a ton of different specs with 2022 models ranging from 48k, 51k, 53k, and 56k. The IS350 is not a rare car like the IS500. For better or worse it’s mass produced and you should be able to find one you like. Out of principal however I would work with a different dealer or salesman. In fact you shouldn’t care about which dealer for now, just start hunting for the one you want.

What color were you thinking of? Maybe we can help you out.
Old 02-26-22, 05:15 AM
dacunn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by macmaster
If you can get away with being down one car for a few weeks to months, I would sell the IS now and wait for the one you want. Post it online for a private sale unless dealers will give you the same price or more.

As for your next car, yes and no the dealer is BSing you. Yes Toyota and Lexus have never taken custom orders. But no, the spec you want is actually available. In the 2021 model it was impossible to get ML without the DHP. I’m seeing a ton of different specs with 2022 models ranging from 48k, 51k, 53k, and 56k. The IS350 is not a rare car like the IS500. For better or worse it’s mass produced and you should be able to find one you like. Out of principal however I would work with a different dealer or salesman. In fact you shouldn’t care about which dealer for now, just start hunting for the one you want.

What color were you thinking of? Maybe we can help you out.
Our current car is a loaded 350 minus triple LED and the DHP. We were the second car that showed up at the dealer when the 21s first came out. We've had it 15 months, but it only has 8k miles on it. Atomic Silver, black interior, she wants white now with black interior. It literally looks like a brand new car, and with the current market I know we'd at minimum break even on it. I just traded a 2018 Tundra I paid 37,800 for and got 38k, and it had 50k miles. The market is crazy right now. I know how it works in this market, I waited over 2 months for my F350, and that's totally OK. We're in weird times right now. I would be willing to drive long ways to pick up a new one if it was what she wanted. Happy wife, happy life...
Old 02-26-22, 05:55 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,352 Likes on 698 Posts

As for your next car, yes and no the dealer is BSing you. Yes Toyota and Lexus have never taken custom orders
I dont know if this is the same, but when I got my ES I literally built the car on the website and the dealer had it built for me. I had to have it built twice actually because there was a mix up and they missed a couple options the first time.

edit - forgot to mention I did not have some kind of unicorn build, it was pretty much every option I could get. Maybe that was a factor, too.

Last edited by 95bat; 02-26-22 at 06:00 AM.
Old 02-26-22, 06:11 AM
dacunn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 95bat
I dont know if this is the same, but when I got my ES I literally built the car on the website and the dealer had it built for me. I had to have it built twice actually because there was a mix up and they missed a couple options the first time.

edit - forgot to mention I did not have some kind of unicorn build, it was pretty much every option I could get. Maybe that was a factor, too.
What did they want you to put down for the special order? $1k seems reasonable, that's what I put down on my F350, and it actually price-protected me from 2 mid model year price increases that would have cost me almost 2k. So...the dealer told you it was built for you? You got emails directly to you as the build happened? I ask because for Ford, you get an email to you every step of the way with your specific order details. That truck is yours and they will tell you everything that's going on. It's not like they email the dealer with the allocation close to what was asked for, and that's relayed to you, you literally have a made to order truck. What I wouldn't give to have Lexus do that right now. It's 2022...but Honda/Toyota are living in the 70s....
Old 02-26-22, 08:55 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,352 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by dacunn
What did they want you to put down for the special order? $1k seems reasonable, that's what I put down on my F350, and it actually price-protected me from 2 mid model year price increases that would have cost me almost 2k. So...the dealer told you it was built for you? You got emails directly to you as the build happened? I ask because for Ford, you get an email to you every step of the way with your specific order details. That truck is yours and they will tell you everything that's going on. It's not like they email the dealer with the allocation close to what was asked for, and that's relayed to you, you literally have a made to order truck. What I wouldn't give to have Lexus do that right now. It's 2022...but Honda/Toyota are living in the 70s....
I emailed the sales department, submitted the exact options and color combo I wanted, and they had my exact car there a few weeks later. No deposit at all. No emails from Lexus, just communicated with the sales guy. I did the same thing for my IS 500, but its not like I had many options to pick from. I basically got to pick the color combo and premium since premium is loaded. Also no deposit for my IS 500.
Old 02-26-22, 04:11 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,786 Posts

dacunn - Normally, being able to custom order a car has been doable but to be honest, the biggest issue right now is the chip shortage affecting the ability for car company to output as much cars as they want. I had placed a custom order for my 2022 IS 500 and it was rejected and instead, Lexus is building a bunch of cars and distributing them randomly across the country. I wouldn't be surprised that even the 350 is somewhat limited too and having a dealer being to custom might be tough, especially one that is not equipped with the DHP but with a ML system. Sadly, it would be hard for you to see if such a car is in the system but if your dealer is truly committed in helping you, they could try and locate one that is allocated to a dealer and see if they can redirect to their dealer instead. The biggest issue is that with limited availability of inventory, most dealers are not willing to let their cars go unless of course your dealer is willing to redirect one of their IS to them thus creating a net zero difference.

Best of luck and being the owner of a white 2021 IS 350 and about to pick up my 2022 IS 500 in white, your wife has good taste in color
Old 02-27-22, 08:46 PM
BillCannon
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Long story short, I know he's full of crap, and is trying to make us take settle for a 57k car with options we really don't want, cause he really can't special order anything, which is why he went from 1k to 5k, probably to force us to settle on a more expensive car than wha we really want. I know Toyota/Lexus probably have the same process, so my ultimate question is...is my dealer full of crap, and we can never really get the car we want?
I got my ‘21 last spring and wanted LEvinson too but didn’t want to pay for the DHP. I looked all over the country and could only find it with DHP and triple beams.
It seems they make three configurations- bare bones, mid (with sunroof and nav), high (mid + LEvinson, DHP, triple beam lights).

keep me posted if you solve the riddle.
Old 02-28-22, 01:52 AM
dacunn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BillCannon
I got my ‘21 last spring and wanted LEvinson too but didn’t want to pay for the DHP. I looked all over the country and could only find it with DHP and triple beams.
It seems they make three configurations- bare bones, mid (with sunroof and nav), high (mid + LEvinson, DHP, triple beam lights).

keep me posted if you solve the riddle.
Will do, but I agree, I think they really only make the 3 configurations you mentioned. I really didn't like that when we got the 21, but now after ordering my F350, and being able to pick every option separately and have the truck built, I'm even more irritated with the Lexus allocation system. At this point we're considering looking at other makes and seeing what's available. I know you can't just walk on a lot and get a car anymore, but if you can order from another manufacturer with the options you want, that beats waiting around for a car that Lexus never builds...
The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (02-28-22)
Old 02-28-22, 03:09 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

We currently have a 21 IS350, and my wife is regretting her color choice, and not getting the Mark Levinson. With the crazy trade in values, I told her she could just trade it in, not lose money, and we could get her a 22 that she's happy with. Problem is, we want a 350 with Levinson, but not triple beams and active suspension (we're in 50s, and don't care about that). This would keep the sticker at like 52 instead of 57. Out issue is, the dealer said they never get cars like that.

A little background, I owned 2 4Runners and a Tundra before my new F350 and I know how the Toyota allocation system works. You never really "order" a Toyota, they just make you think you did, and they wait for an allocation that's close. This is entirely different than my new F350 I traded the Tundra on, where I checked off specific options, put money down, got a confirmation from Ford with my order and build date, and more emails as my truck was built, shipped, and arrived.

My dealer originally told us he could get car, so we tell him what we want and wait. A few weeks later he says we can put down 1k and that will prioritize our place in line to get what we want. I told him I knew about allocations, and he could be honest with us, but he didn't budge and swore he could get us the car. So...later after a month or so of waiting, we go in a second time later ane he changes story and says he can "special order", but now it's 5k and takes 6 months.

There is usually a hint of truth in just about every fabricated tale or lie and from your description of your experience with that dealer, that rings true.
I would dump that dealer asap as their tactics were misleading and obviously haven't inspired confidence. 2nd, anyone that would say Lexus never allowed custom/special orders needs to review their statement and edit that ASAP! 3rd, yes there was/is a nationwide hold on special orders that began late last year. "I normally post in the ES forum but just happened upon this thread." Keep in mind that due to the length of time, once the special order was accepted, you will see those speak about getting their special orders this year. That is true as I am one such case. The production, allocation, and fulfillment process for Toyota and Lexus or any manufacture is VERY overwhelming and can be confusing. I posted a short overview of part of the regional allocation and fulfillment process in another forum to help with that understanding. I will include those links below.
Someone suggested selling your IS now and waiting if you can and that isn't bad advice, if you can wait. I would not sell to the dealer before checking other options as you are more than likely able to get a premium on your vehicle through carmax, carvana and the like. You have to check around as I am not familiar with your region. I can tell you that premium and lux cars tend to get much higher quotes with carmax, in my experience as they tend to not get as many of those cars coming through. Some dealers, if you have a good relationship will even host your vehicle on a "video" auction site and that could net more too.

If I understand correctly you are looking for an 22 IS 350 and you are open to trims as long as you have ML sound? Until special ordering is back in place, as long as you have fewer restrictions on your choice of options and trims, are looking for neutral color combos then you will be much more successful in finding as close to what you are looking for. Managing expectations is the key. If you are serious buyer and currently in the market for a vehicle now, you are welcome to PM me and I would be happy to help facilitate and make the process easier.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...l#post11229833
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...l#post11233609

Here are my last two Lexus deals.

2022 ES 350 Ult. Lux. *Special Order* & 2019 ES 350 Lux.

2022 ES 350 Ultra Lux. ***Special Order***
Cloudburst Gray, black w/ black open pore wood trim.

Options I selected were:
Triple Beam LED Headlamps
Smart Access Card Key
Navigation/Mark Levinson Audio Package
I opted for a standard moonroof over the panoramic glass roof.

MSRP $54,265
Disc. $4873 + Rebate $1500 = $6373
Purchase price before tax: $47,892

Initial order placed with dealer 08/01/21, submitted by Lexus 11/02/21, built 1/04/22, driven home 1/18/22.

2019 ES 350 Lux. Nebula Gray Pearl with Chateau (Shimamoku Brown)

MSRP $52,008
Disc. + Rebate = $11,382
Purchase price $40,626

****I cashed out a year early on my 2019 lease to the tune of $8500 in equity/profit once my 22 UL arrived. I did not sell or trade-in my 19' with my Lexus dealer. They could only offer $6000.***

Build date 2/2019
Sold 12/27/2019

Had almost every option with the exception of triple beams.
I had the power rear sunshade only.
3 standard features only available on Ult. Lux. (2019 models) and no other trim level (even as options) were Semi-aniline leather, manual side window sunshade and lateral performance dampers.
I also had the pano roof and that being the reason I didn’t order my new one with one! Looks nice but had to have it replaced twice and had noise issues.

Last edited by UltraLux22; 02-28-22 at 03:21 AM.
Old 02-28-22, 03:15 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

I emailed the sales department, submitted the exact options and color combo I wanted, and they had my exact car there a few weeks later. No deposit at all. No emails from Lexus, just communicated with the sales guy. I did the same thing for my IS 500, but its not like I had many options to pick from. I basically got to pick the color combo and premium since premium is loaded. Also no deposit for my IS 500.
Your experience is not as common and I review this exact scenario you've described in a previous post. "Link Below" They found a vehicle in the pipeline and as not being a special order, you were able to have a much faster and smoother process than most. Count yourself fortunate!

Last edited by UltraLux22; 02-28-22 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-28-22, 03:28 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Your experience is not as common and I review this exact scenario you've described in a previous post. "Link Below" They found a vehicle in the pipeline and as not being a special order, you were able to have a much faster and smoother process than most. Count yourself fortunate!

The step in the fulfillment process your dealer used for you most likely is below.

3. Locate a vehicle in the dealer’s pipeline. These are vehicles that have been allocated or assigned to the dealer but have not arrived at the dealer. The pipeline can be divided into three segments:

1 Vehicles produced and in transit from the plant
2.Vehicles that are either in the process of being built or for which the specifications
have been frozen just prior to production
3.Vehicles scheduled for production with specifications that have not yet been frozen

My "brief" full post regarding allocation and fulfillment is below.

Old 02-28-22, 06:00 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,049 Posts

So I figured I'd share my experience on special ordering a 2022 IS since I had to go through this ordeal not too long ago. I have to agree with the previous comments that the dealer is basically trying to get you to buy a car from the pipeline because it is more convenient to them. My understanding after multiple hours of speaking with the inventory manager at the dealer that I bought my car, is that in order for them to submit a custom order for a vehicle for you, the dealer would have to be willing to forfeit allocations for certain cars. In my case, when my order was submitted, the inventory manager had to provide a list of 2 allocations that they were willing to forfeit. Now, you might ask yourself, whats the big deal? Well the simple answer is that slimy dealers will rather make a sale now, or in a month, rather than lose that sale, and then have to wait 4-5 months for your car to arrive, to then make the sale. So a bit more details of my experience.

I knew that I wanted a 2021+ IS basically from the moment that I saw my first one in person. But I was personally flabbergasted that Lexus omitted the memory seats, auto tilt down mirrors, power steering column, and the power rear sunshade on the 2021 model, considering that they were all options for a 2020 model. It seemed like they had gone back in time almost. What I found ever weirder was that it was available in certain regions of the world, but not in the US. So I decided to wait for the 2022 MY to see if these options were added and at the same time it helped me accrue a much larger down payment. So fast forward to 9/10/22. Lexus releases the official press release announcing the car and bingo! Memory package and rear sunshade were added in 2022. Now the fun part, ordering the car. I called three local dealers, all of which I had considered working with to see if they could submit an order for me. Two dealers said they couldn't because they had no allocations, one dealer said I could, but the inventory manager was out of town. So I waited until 9/16/22 when the inventory manager returned at said dealer and I spoke with her for about an hour on the phone. She confirmed that her ordering system did allow the 2022 model to be ordered, and although it hadn't been released officially yet, she had full pricing for all the packages, options, and accessories. So on 9/17/22 I drove down and submitted my order. I told her what I wanted, which in my case was a fully loaded IS350 in Caviar with Circuit Red, and she went back to her office and she submitted the order for me. That same day, I left with a paper in hand which she printed as the confirmation that the order was submitted to the Southern Regional Office, and it showed exactly all of the options that I had requested. So this is something you need to understand. Your dealer does not communicate with the factory, they communicate with one of 4 regional offices, who then communicate with the factory. When you submit an order, it goes to the regional office which then sends it to the factory. Once the factory accepts your order, your order is locked and no longer modifiable, and at that point, the regional office receives an estimated build date for the vehicle. In my case, my order was locked on 10/1/22, but my car was not built until 11/18/22. It then went through the following journey.
Loaded on Vessel: 11/24/22
Crossed Panama Canal: 12/15/22
Arrived at Port of Jacksonville: 12/19/22
Processed at the Port: 12/23/22
Loaded on the Truck: 12/30/22
Arrived at Dealer: 4am of 12/31/22
At my house: 1pm of 12/31/22.

Throughout this time I still maintained contact with the other dealers mainly for s**** & giggles to see what they would see, and even by 12/31/22, when I had my custom ordered car in hand, they kept insisting that custom ordered cars were not available and they kept trying to get me to buy cars in the pipeline, at MSRP, without all the options that I wanted, and I would have to pay for the shipping form it's original destination to that dealer. It was quite the joke when I called them out of their crap. Basically, it all comes down to preference of the dealer. A dealer that is truly interested in taking your business will be more willing to custom order a car.

Now for some more details. Financially, it seems that in Lexus world, $5000 is the norm for a custom order as I had to give a $5000 non-refundable deposit at the time of ordering my car, although my inventory manager said that my spec would sell in no time so she would refund me the money if anything should happen. It's ironic however as I went through the process of ordering a 2022 Highlander for my parents recently, and all Toyota dealers only wanted $500 fully refundable deposits in order to order the car. Also, through the means of various calls to corporate as well as speaking with the inventory manager at my dealer, I also gained a bit more insight on the ordering process. To this date, Lexus' official stance is that they do not do custom orders and that's about all they will say before telling you to "speak to your local dealer for more details." Some cars such as the IS500 are currently not custom orderable due to their current status. However, and this is also shown in the footnotes of the vehicle configurator online, despite you being able to configure a car basically exactly how you want online, sometimes that configuration won't actually be built no matter what. One example that my inventory manager gave me was a car with 0 options. That is a *VERY* custom car, and if for some reason you back out of the deal, the dealer will have a hard time selling that car as you are basically the only person that wanted a stripped down version of that car. So for that reason, even if the dealer submits that order, the factory will most likely ultimately reject that order. Ultimately, the final say lies in the factory, not the dealer.

Having said that, my opinion is this: The dealer is bs'ing you and run. I have seen some weird specs actually be built and you don't seem to be asking for anything out of the norm. The only portion that might be "problematic" is your omission of the triple beams, to which my response would be for you to consider budging in that aspect. However, I see no reason why it can't be built without the triple beams. With 100000% certainty however, you dealer should not be forcing you to get the DHP as the large majority of cars get built without it and it is a very rare option on the IS.

I know this was all over the place but I hope it is somewhat helpful for you. All the best and keep us posted.
The following 2 users liked this post by TipsyTonio:
UltraLux22 (02-28-22), wthrman2 (02-28-22)
Old 02-28-22, 07:18 AM
V350
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes Toyota and Lexus have never taken custom orders.
Not exactly true, I custom ordered my IS350. But in 2018. I waited 3 months, and got everything I wanted, nothing I didn't. The catch was some options had to be added for the order to go through, like a spoiler. Luckily the dealer was great and its a port installed option, so he had that taken off the order and I got the car exactly the way I wanted.

Last edited by V350; 02-28-22 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-02-22, 10:24 AM
ultraSLO
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure if it's already been covered, but your preferred package combination may be restricted by region. I'm not familiar with is350 packages by state/region, but you may have to look in a different part of the state, or a different state to get the specific packages you want, without the extra packages you don't want. Most dealers don't have any knowledge of package combinations outside of their specific region.

For example, I've been shopping for a new 2022 4Runner TRD Offroad with 360 camera (multi-terrain-monitor) package for 4+ months... After months of searching in California, I discovered *on my own* that Toyota is building trucks with the 360 camera package ONLY for Southern California in (in addition to other states like AZ, NV, etc.). NONE of the dealerships I called had prior knowledge of this regional package grouping until I raised the issue.

Now I know to only shop Southern California or nearby states (AZ and NV) if I want this option...the rest of CA will never receive a truck with this combination of options.

Quick Reply: So, you really can't order a Lexus, right?