NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

450h+ distance to empty miles is way off

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-22, 01:16 AM
BabyLFA
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 450h+ distance to empty miles is way off

So I noticed in my 450h+ after EV mode is depleted, and HV mode kicks in, my distance to empty miles for my gas tank is way off. From my workplace to home is roughly over 37 miles, and usually I'll be in HV mode because I was using EV mode driving to work. Let's say I have 200 miles left until my gas tank is empty, and it takes me exactly 35 miles to get home, by the time I'm home my distance to empty is around 150 instead of 165, yes 15 extra miles! The roads I'm on is HWY and doing anywhere from 45-65 mph normal cruising, I just want to know have anyone noticed this in the 450h+ or any other trim?
Old 07-03-22, 05:05 AM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BabyLFA
So I noticed in my 450h+ after EV mode is depleted, and HV mode kicks in, my distance to empty miles for my gas tank is way off. From my workplace to home is roughly over 37 miles, and usually I'll be in HV mode because I was using EV mode driving to work. Let's say I have 200 miles left until my gas tank is empty, and it takes me exactly 35 miles to get home, by the time I'm home my distance to empty is around 150 instead of 165, yes 15 extra miles! The roads I'm on is HWY and doing anywhere from 45-65 mph normal cruising, I just want to know have anyone noticed this in the 450h+ or any other trim?
reset history. How far can you go on pure electric?
Old 07-03-22, 08:31 AM
BC310
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

When I first got my 450h+, it started at estimating over 500 miles of HV range. About 4500 miles later of mostly freeway driving, it's now saying a bit over 400, which is closer, but still overestimating (at least for the number of miles to "empty"--getting from "empty" to when I actually fill up is another matter--I usually drive for another 1.5-2 gallons on HV only, otherwise I'd be filling up around 11 out of the 14.5 gal capacity). Unfortunately, the range estimator takes time to learn your driving habits, so you can't rely on it and should instead figure out your pure HV MPG and go by that. If you have a regular commute, you could also just see how far you actually go on a tank with your usual charging pattern and plan your range that way.
The following users liked this post:
BabyLFA (07-03-22)
Old 07-03-22, 08:57 AM
BabyLFA
Rookie

EV mode is awesome, with regen braking in stop and go, I can push out 41 miles, when I first got the car, with fully charged it was showing 36 miles, but eventually it went up to 38, 39, and now showing 40. I guess the car is still learning my driving habits, I only have it for less than 2 weeks.

Last edited by BabyLFA; 07-03-22 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-03-22, 09:04 AM
Lrlaz
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BabyLFA
EV mode is awesome, with regen braking in stop and go, I can push out 41 miles, when I first got the car, with fully charged it was showing 36 miles, but eventually it went up to 38, 39, and now showing 40. I guess the car is still learning my driving habits, I only have it for less than 2 weeks.
Same here. Mine started at 34 EV miles and now up to 40 EV miles (no AC). I think on average, I get about 41-42 miles on a full charge. This thing is awesome. On the HV topic, I think that's based on your EV and HV driving style. My HV MPG is always changing/updating. I'm not sure how the computer calculates this, but it's very confusing.

Laz
Old 07-03-22, 09:17 AM
BabyLFA
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lrlaz
Same here. Mine started at 34 EV miles and now up to 40 EV miles (no AC). I think on average, I get about 41-42 miles on a full charge. This thing is awesome. On the HV topic, I think that's based on your EV and HV driving style. My HV MPG is always changing/updating. I'm not sure how the computer calculates this, but it's very confusing.

Laz
Yeah, I guess I'll give the computer a little more time, it's only been a little over a week, but I've already have over 1200 miles on it, averaging 32 MPG on HV
Old 07-03-22, 05:18 PM
wattyb2
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just filled up for my second "real" tank (read: after using three to get it from CA to WA). Average MPG (including charging) was 81 mpg, same as the first test tank.

Gas light came on with about 27 estimated HV miles left. Filled up with 6 remaining and put in about 11 gallons. So, at the time the gas light came on, I had about 3.5 gallons of fuel left (conservatively 100 miles). All else aside, I think the HV calculation is VERY conservative and may not be based on the full tank amount. When I turned the car back on, it told me 480 miles to empty for EV with the tank full.

EV range is up to 44 miles from 36 when we first got it a month ago.
Old 07-04-22, 08:39 AM
BabyLFA
Rookie

Originally Posted by wattyb2
Just filled up for my second "real" tank (read: after using three to get it from CA to WA). Average MPG (including charging) was 81 mpg, same as the first test tank.

Gas light came on with about 27 estimated HV miles left. Filled up with 6 remaining and put in about 11 gallons. So, at the time the gas light came on, I had about 3.5 gallons of fuel left (conservatively 100 miles). All else aside, I think the HV calculation is VERY conservative and may not be based on the full tank amount. When I turned the car back on, it told me 480 miles to empty for EV with the tank full.

That's good to know, Thanks
Old 07-13-22, 08:25 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 172 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by wattyb2

Got a few miles past 0 HV range left (indicator changes to 'Refuel') and filled up with 11 gallons too, so lots of range left at 0.
Old 07-13-22, 09:49 PM
ronkelley
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

--

Maybe some of you have had fantastic luck with readings saying how far you could go on your remaining fuel, but I have not. On some vehicles that will say I can go 100 miles, I can put in 5 gallons of gas and the mileage estimate doesn't jump up to 250 miles, but gradually moves up slightly. Now I don't know if any, or all, Lexus models are exceptionally accurate, but as suggested above, when the computer is considering the average in the past, plus how you are currently driving, the gradient and wind resistance, traffic, speed, number of stops, etc., is supposed to magically be accurate. Ain't happening. You just have to do some calculating yourself and/or carry a spare container of gas in a sealed bottle in the trunk.

Odd story: I used to drive a Chevy S-10 pickup with a camper shell over the bed. I would to drive from near Denver to Moab, Utah (about 300 miles) and back and get 25 mpg. I did it once with a 17' canoe on the roof and got 32 mpg. Huh? You never know.

--
Old 07-14-22, 09:49 AM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 172 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by ronkelley
--

Maybe some of you have had fantastic luck with readings saying how far you could go on your remaining fuel, but I have not. On some vehicles that will say I can go 100 miles, I can put in 5 gallons of gas and the mileage estimate doesn't jump up to 250 miles, but gradually moves up slightly. Now I don't know if any, or all, Lexus models are exceptionally accurate, but as suggested above, when the computer is considering the average in the past, plus how you are currently driving, the gradient and wind resistance, traffic, speed, number of stops, etc., is supposed to magically be accurate. Ain't happening. You just have to do some calculating yourself and/or carry a spare container of gas in a sealed bottle in the trunk.

Odd story: I used to drive a Chevy S-10 pickup with a camper shell over the bed. I would to drive from near Denver to Moab, Utah (about 300 miles) and back and get 25 mpg. I did it once with a 17' canoe on the roof and got 32 mpg. Huh? You never know.

--
On my car (RCF) and all prior Lexus cars I can remember, I've been able to rely on the remaining mileage to a point. Not magically accurate, but pretty close good over a tank, and generally consistent. Almost all (if not all) had a 2.7 gal reserve when you get to 0. I generally had a sense of what kind of mileage I was getting (my car 14-16mpg city or 'spirited', 25-28 highway) and reset the trip meter every time l filled, so I could estimate remaining mile and current mileage whenever I wanted. I found the remaining mileage in car to be fairly accurate unless I had just shifted driving type significantly, and then I would just estimate myself. The average since last fill-up also generally matched my gas station calcs.

On the NX, everything is really off, often. I would have expected them to only rely on average recent ICE mileage for HV remaining miles, but it doesn't seem like that's happening. On Tuesday I was on the highway and watched my Nav remaining miles to destination vs. fuel remaining miles deviate greatly over the last part of the trip. I started really watching with about 110 miles to the next stop (planned gas stop) and 120 miles fuel range....the fuel slowly lost ground and I hit empty about 15 miles out. This was reasonable highway cruising, AC was on. Gas mileage has basically been between 30 - 32 mpg over 6K miles driven, so I would have expected better. The range also doesn't seem to notice small amounts to top off the tank, and on a full tank the estimate drops pretty quickly even with few ICE miles driven.

Bottom line, I can't really figure this out and won't rely on the range much...but seems like we have ~3.5 gal reserve.

I seem to remember a mention in another thread about range, estimate, or reserve amount on the RAV4 Prime too.

PS - Anyone else seen their estimated time to charge get much higher than reality? I'm charging at 8A usually, so it takes about 7 hours from 0 miles left (~14kwh) but recently the ETC has been 9.5 hours. When I first started charging it would be about 30-60 minutes higher than reality.

Old 11-18-23, 04:47 PM
iyer
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same problem. The distance to empty is 425 miles or so without EV and then when i start driving, the remaining miles deplete faster than the traveled miles. i get around 300 miles to empty, though initially its at >400!!

The dealer has no clue what I am griping about :-)
Old 11-18-23, 09:36 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 643 Likes on 426 Posts
Lightbulb Already discussed in this thread for 350h

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...errerid=161523

This problem was recently dicusssed for the 350h ( same gas tanks essentially) in the above thread.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 11-19-23, 11:42 AM
iyer
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by midcow3
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...errerid=161523

This problem was recently dicusssed for the 350h ( same gas tanks essentially) in the above thread.

YMMV,
MidCow3
I think all posts are related to how much gas mileage they get.

My question is simpler. Say you have 250 miles to empty, and your odometer reading is 1000
If you drive 100 miles, the odometer reading goes to 1100 but the miles to empty goes down to 125!!

Meaning the miiles to empty depletes much faster than the odometer reading!!. I have tried all experiments but the miles to empty is way off.
I hope some of you can check the odometer reading and the miles to empty.. and let me know if they add up?
Old 11-19-23, 12:34 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 643 Likes on 426 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by iyer
I think all posts are related to how much gas mileage they get.

My question is simpler. Say you have 250 miles to empty, and your odometer reading is 1000
If you drive 100 miles, the odometer reading goes to 1100 but the miles to empty goes down to 125!!

Meaning the miiles to empty depletes much faster than the odometer reading!!. I have tried all experiments but the miles to empty is way off.
I hope some of you can check the odometer reading and the miles to empty.. and let me know if they add up?
In a normal world you are correct. instead of the empty going down to 125 it should have gone down to 150.

Two factors to consider: (1) in the 450h+ since you have a normal 37 mile electric range, part of this range could be included in the DTE. Electric range IMHO seems to be much more dependent on how a person is driving than straight hybrid. If you drive faster or accelerate faster on EV it depletes much quicker than easy /normal driving.
(2) on any car regular gas, mild hybrid, hybrid, EV the DTE is an estimate based on a previous driving period. There is no standard on the driving period. Is it 10 miles , 25 miles, since fill-up; how does it reset ?? But if you have been previously driving on the highway then your DTE will be higher than if you have been sporty accelerate in town.

And remember Lexus is very, very conservative, you usually have 2-3 gallons when they say your DTE is zero(0) miles. One easy way to handle this is to reset one of your trip odometers to zero when you DTE goes to zero (blank). Then you can watch the trip odometer knowing you have a 100 miles or so actually. When you newely reset trip odometer gets close to 100, it is probably time to fill-up.

Good Luck

MiidCow3

Quick Reply: 450h+ distance to empty miles is way off