RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Got po500 changed but still won't go

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-22, 12:52 PM
Akautz
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Link for video of what 2001 Lexus is doing PLEASE HELP IF U CAN!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ah6kZ1BZZkjArGJT6
Old 07-06-22, 01:01 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 266 Likes on 221 Posts

Maybe the shift cable?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ift-lever.html
Old 07-07-22, 08:28 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by maxSteel
That's what I'm thinking too but honestly don't know.

To me it sounds like it is not going in gear properly.
Ya know, I heard a sound like this one time when I slammed my car in reverse while moving forward until I slowed to a stop.

It didn't damage my transmission but it sounded a lot like that.
Old 07-19-22, 12:13 PM
Akautz
10th Gear

Default Got po500 changed but still won't go

To the few people that replied to last post thank you. We got a p0500 code and changed the sensors. However the car still won't go. If u out it in drive it's like it's spinning but doesn't catch to go. The motor sounds great we changed the fluid and filter on tranny. No metal shavings to indicate severe transmission issue. Does anyone know how to check the Sensor plug ins with a multimeter or does anyone have any idea on what the heck is wrong with it? We still get p0500 we got no other codes after car made loud sound while on freeway. We towed it home and began trying to see what it is. U put into gear makes sound but step on gas and u can hear tranny spinning but don't catch to move. We really could use help. Can't afford to take it in as hubby juz diagnosed with several serious health issues and no insurance we are at end of rope. You at club Lexus are our only hope. Thank you
Old 07-19-22, 12:56 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Did your speedometer work properly last time you drove the car?

I'm not sure if the P0500 will cause the symptom you are describing of not being able to drive, hopefully someone can confirm.

Old 07-19-22, 01:36 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,105 Likes on 994 Posts

Please tell us if the display shows the gear selection you have as you rove through the various shifter positions. This will ensure the cable link from the the lever is working till the selector on the transmission.

On a flat surface when you put the shifter in "N" can you push the vehicle forward and back ward. Just trying to make sure there is no mechanical binding due to brakes etc,

Salim
Old 07-19-22, 04:40 PM
Akautz
10th Gear

Originally Posted by salimshah
Please tell us if the display shows the gear selection you have as you rove through the various shifter positions. This will ensure the cable link from the the lever is working till the selector on the transmission.

On a flat surface when you put the shifter in "N" can you push the vehicle forward and back ward. Just trying to make sure there is no mechanical binding due to brakes etc, As far as we know the speedometer was working as we were on Frwy going about 70. We are at such a loss as to what this can be. Thanks to all for help and troubleshooting ideas

Salim
The car will roll when in nuetrel. The lights work prd12 on dah. They all illuminate.
Old 07-19-22, 04:42 PM
Akautz
10th Gear

Originally Posted by maxSteel
Shift cable working
Old 07-19-22, 07:46 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,105 Likes on 994 Posts

I think P0500 has little to do with your problem. The speed sensor impacts ABS braking. It should not prevent you from standstill to moving.

I know I am leaping, but a loud mechanical cluck is most likely something snapping in the transmission. This break may not produce the fine metal pieces in the fluid. I would say prepare yourself for the worst case ... replace transmission. The actual call should be made by a transmission shop.

I am at loss to put it delicately, but mechanical failures can happen at most inopportune time, but they generally can be dealt with money. While some of the health related issues can not be solved by any amount of money. Regrettably you are dealing with multiple things. I am by no means a counsellor, IMHO just prioritize the issues and deal with the most important one and don't be hard on yourself and juggle more than one can possibly handle. One day at a time my friend.

Salim

The following 2 users liked this post by salimshah:
Fit1too (07-21-22), Margate330 (07-19-22)
Old 07-19-22, 08:55 PM
Akautz
10th Gear

Originally Posted by salimshah
I think P0500 has little to do with your problem. The speed sensor impacts ABS braking. It should not prevent you from standstill to moving.

I know I am leaping, but a loud mechanical cluck is most likely something snapping in the transmission. This break may not produce the fine metal pieces in the fluid. I would say prepare yourself for the worst case ... replace transmission. The actual call should be made by a transmission shop.

I am at loss to put it delicately, but mechanical failures can happen at most inopportune time, but they generally can be dealt with money. While some of the health related issues can not be solved by any amount of money. Regrettably you are dealing with multiple things. I am by no means a counsellor, IMHO just prioritize the issues and deal with the most important one and don't be hard on yourself and juggle more than one can possibly handle. One day at a time my friend.

Salim
We are both disabled and need this car. We are only getting code p0500 sensor A We are not complete idiots and it feels as this the car isn't detecting the speed sensor or something like it's still going 70 and that's y it won't shift. The motor runs really good we had absolutely no issues before this happened. We should have had a warning light or something if the transmission was going to really go out. We feel like it's something stupid or something that we are missing. Is there a way to check the speed sensor CONNECTOR? we think MABYE it's not getting a connection. Does anyone know how to do this?
yes we would love to take it in but can't drive it. Can't afford to have it fixed. We can't afford a new car or a used one and we need this fixed. We are trying one thing at a time as we are certain we are overlooking something as like we said there have been no tranny issues. No warning light no slipping of the tranny nothing. It cannot possibly just go out. I mean it really seems like it' still think it's going fast and not catching. It sounds like clutch bands but pretty sure that's not it either. Thanks everyone for all your help. If anyone knows how to check the speed sensor CONNECTOR please let us know. It is so disheartening needing to troubleshoot this as it just is not the transmission we just Kno it can't be (praying anyways as we really need this to be something stupid) thank you!
Old 07-19-22, 09:32 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with Salim, I don't think the P0500 is related to the issue at hand.

The RX300 has a "Traction Cut Off Switch".
Not sure where it is located but on the RX330 it is on the driver side under the steering wheel I believe, hopefully someone can confirm for RX300.
It's a wild card and don't think it has anything to do with your transmission issue but can put you at ease and maybe rule out the wheel speed sensor issue by disabling the traction control.

The P0500 code you are getting and the symptoms of not going in gear don't match unless maybe you have some rodent chewing wires damage.
Is there any evidence of this?

Update from you posts so far the best I understand.
1) car drove great until this problem happened and never went in gear and drove again and from this day it started throwing a P0500 code.
2) car can be shifted into all gears and see the gears change on the dash cluster as confirmation.
3) when put in neutral the car will roll.

Please check and confirm the following and report back.

1) fluid is checked on a flat and level surface
2) if car has an oil cooler plz check for kinked fluid lines
3) run car for 20 mins until transmission is good and warned up and try to put in gear and see what happens.

Old 07-20-22, 09:25 AM
Akautz
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Margate330
I agree with Salim, I don't think the P0500 is related to the issue at hand.

The RX300 has a "Traction Cut Off Switch".
Not sure where it is located but on the RX330 it is on the driver side under the steering wheel I believe, hopefully someone can confirm for RX300.
It's a wild card and don't think it has anything to do with your transmission issue but can put you at ease and maybe rule out the wheel speed sensor issue by disabling the traction control.

The P0500 code you are getting and the symptoms of not going in gear don't match unless maybe you have some rodent chewing wires damage.
Is there any evidence of this?

Update from you posts so far the best I understand.
1) car drove great until this problem happened and never went in gear and drove again and from this day it started throwing a P0500 code.
2) car can be shifted into all gears and see the gears change on the dash cluster as confirmation.
3) when put in neutral the car will roll.

Please check and confirm the following and report back.

1) fluid is checked on a flat and level surface
2) if car has an oil cooler plz check for kinked fluid lines
3) run car for 20 mins until transmission is good and warned up and try to put in gear and see what happens.
We are out here running car after checking fluid level is exact.
When car went out on freeway we was NEVER ABLE TO DRIVE THE CAR AGAIN.. WE MANAGED TO GET IT OFF THE FREEWAY BUT IT WAS MAKING ALL KINDS OF TRANSMISSION NOISES.
IT WOULDN'T STAY WHEN PUT INTO PARK. WE HAD IT TOWED AND RAN THE CODES.
WE GOT P0500 WE CHANGED THE SPEED SENSORS. WE STILL GOT Code P0500 BUT THIS TIME P0500 A. WE THEN CHANGED TRANNY FLUID AND FILTER. THE CAR MAKES A GRINDING SOUND WHEN PUT INTO PARK. AND IN PARK IT STILL ROLLS. U CAN HEAR IT TURNING WHEN PUT INTO REVERSE AND SO ON IT MAKES LIKE A WHEEL INSIDE TRANNY TURNING SCRAPING SOUND. It's like when shifting from inside the vehicle it doesn't want to go into park. And makes awful sound. We disconnected the cable and shift by hand underneath and get same sound. It's definitely something inside the transmission apparently? Wouldn't we get a code? Some type of warning light if transmission was indeed failing? The engine runs great but it just won't go. We can roll the car in n and p. It won't go anywhere like it's in nuetrel but when I put in reverse or whatever u can hear it wanting to change but it's just not catching. If was clutch bands would we get a code? And we are still getting p0500 speed sensor A. We have now let the car get nice and warmed up over 20 minutes and still same thing. We are so bewildered just need to know what it is and bi idea how to find out what it could be. We really still can't imagine that it's just going to go out after having no issues up until the freeway thing.
MY apologies for the caps I'm just really blind it's much easier type in caps. Thank u everyone. We are wondering if there are any mobile mechanics that could possibly give us a free estimate or do they do that? Anyone know? Thank u again
Old 07-20-22, 09:40 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Hi Akautz,

What makes your diagnosis complicated is the P0500 code happens when the Engine ECM(see pic I posted above) doesn't get the speed feedback pulse which goes thru the speedometer first.
2nd thing is the transmission is also controlled by the same Engine ECM.

The Engine ECM is both things in common and also controls many other things on the car's engine.

Could it be coincedence throwing a P0500 at the same time as a transmission failure?
It's very suspicious as you already suspect.

I would check the frame ground, this is what is used for the Engine ECM
I would check the engine ground, this is what is used for the Engine ECM's peripherals.

With battery unhooked I would be looking for very low ohms(closer to 1-2 ohms as possible) from the negative terminal to frame ground and also from negative battery terminal to engine.

For engine ground you can use the valve cover metal.
For frame ground you can use a bolt on the fender near the battery- may have to scratch into head of bolt if painted to get good connection.

These are the basics if you suspect the diagnosis will go in an electrical direction, checking ground points.
Plz let us know what you find.
Old 07-20-22, 04:39 PM
Akautz
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Margate330
Hi Akautz,

What makes your diagnosis complicated is the P0500 code happens when the Engine ECM(see pic I posted above) doesn't get the speed feedback pulse which goes thru the speedometer first.
2nd thing is the transmission is also controlled by the same Engine ECM.

The Engine ECM is both things in common and also controls many other things on the car's engine.

Could it be coincedence throwing a P0500 at the same time as a transmission failure?
It's very suspicious as you already suspect.

I would check the frame ground, this is what is used for the Engine ECM
I would check the engine ground, this is what is used for the Engine ECM's peripherals.

With battery unhooked I would be looking for very low ohms(closer to 1-2 ohms as possible) from the negative terminal to frame ground and also from negative battery terminal to engine.

For engine ground you can use the valve cover metal.
For frame ground you can use a bolt on the fender near the battery- may have to scratch into head of bolt if painted to get good connection.

These are the basics if you suspect the diagnosis will go in an electrical direction, checking ground points.
Plz let us know what you find.
We will go out first thing tom morning. It's over 100 now n it's juz to much we got no dang shade trees. So we get up at 5 n go out n try everything you guys post plus what we might come up with.
Did I mention when it's in park it rolls. We can shift it by hand it just won't catch. You posted a diagram and unfortunately we are not electrical people and not sure how to read. Now my husband can work on anything from the 60's 70's and 80's but once the computer stuff happened he was at a loss. We would Kno what to do say if it was a 68 Camaro..LOL we def will try this first thing in a.m? Thank you so much. You don't know how we appreciate your help n ideas. Someone mentioned the Drive gear. MABYE it was NVR the speed sensor. When shifting by hand you can hear a clanking .it goes thru the gears and just sits. U can rev it up n just sits.motor sounds good tho
Thanks. Everyone!
Old 07-20-22, 05:32 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Akautz
Did I mention when it's in park it rolls.!
Hi friend, this changes everything.

I think something broke in your transmission.
Only reason I been posting so much is your urgency to get back on the road but will sit back and see what others think about this.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Got po500 changed but still won't go