Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

For those of you who have tuned an IS300 to IS350 levels, did it actually work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-22, 04:00 PM
Pablobrah
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default For those of you who have tuned an IS300 to IS350 levels, did it actually work?

So, we know that a lot of the IS300 models are basically using the same engine as the IS350 (particularly the 3.5L V6) just purposely detuned so lexus can sell another car at a lower price point. There are a few companies like RR Racing and d3 performance offering tunes to bring 300s up to 350 level power. Has anyone actually done a tune like this? How did it go?
Old 03-26-24, 07:15 PM
DenverMoto
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

*Bump!*
Hey all, so I'm brand new to this forum but I've been reading through tons of pages on here for a while now. I just bought my first ever Lexus last week, a 2019 IS300 F-Sport and I absolutely love this car. I've wanted an IS since I was old enough to drive, still can't believe I get to drive one every day now. I'm hopping on this thread as my first post because after some digging and research, I'm spending my first real money on the car - I went ahead and ordered the D3 Performance Tuner AND an Injen SP Short Ram cold air intake. I can NOT wait to throw these on and see what they do. The turbo is already a lot of fun, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what it feels like with a tune and cold-air. The dyno numbers on both of these look really impressive. I hope to keep y'all updated on how it feels and what happens next. But I wanted to say hey and let you know I'll soon be tuning my 300 *hopefully* to 350-ish levels, so let's see what happens

Old 03-27-24, 07:53 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,740 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I think the OP's question was in regards to the IS 300 AWD models that use the V-6, FYI. But sounds great! Look forward to reading about your impressions.
Old 03-27-24, 09:51 AM
DenverMoto
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah dang, yeah I guess you're right my bad haha. But hey maybe someone's floating around on here w/ an i4 300 or 200T curious about the same thing

Originally Posted by arentz07
I think the OP's question was in regards to the IS 300 AWD models that use the V-6, FYI. But sounds great! Look forward to reading about your impressions.
Old 03-28-24, 08:18 PM
Rhydg1
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Pablobrah
So, we know that a lot of the IS300 models are basically using the same engine as the IS350 (particularly the 3.5L V6) just purposely detuned so lexus can sell another car at a lower price point. There are a few companies like RR Racing and d3 performance offering tunes to bring 300s up to 350 level power. Has anyone actually done a tune like this? How did it go?
Yes. I did the RR racing tune on my '16 IS300FS AWD. The difference is notable. The stock 300 tune feels like it falls flat after ~4K RPM while with the tune it keeps pulling.
Old 03-29-24, 05:22 AM
dbking321
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the tune on my 2017 and it is noticeable after they system adjusts and it makes the care feel quicker in the higher RPMS. I went with the RR tune and since I have the 17 so I had to do it in person. it took a few days for the computer to readjust but afterword the difference is notable. I will say the car is quick but don't expect your car to be truly fast.... but I'm also coming for a 460HP mustang.

I would say it is 100% worth the the money. Note the RR-tune did make my trans shift funny as others have mentioned, however it only hesitates to shift when you put the pedal to the floor when it is in first gear or shifts down to first. I've had the car tuned about 3-4000 miles now.
Old 04-26-24, 07:14 PM
NYIS300awdFS
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Tuned by Loi

Any of you with an IS300 awd tuned by Loi ?
How does it work ?
Worth it ?

Ordered the VF tuner kit, going for it.

Last edited by NYIS300awdFS; 04-26-24 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-07-24, 01:20 PM
NYIS300awdFS
Pit Crew

Wasted some money on an intake.
still waiting on the VF tuner software, can’t believe how long it takes to get that stuff.
Old 05-08-24, 06:40 AM
dbking321
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

intake looks good,
Old 05-08-24, 07:23 AM
NYIS300awdFS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dbking321
intake looks good,
I think it looks good but I lost the cold start rumble the original intake made.
The sound generator on the original intake tube made a pleasant noise, that’s gone.
Old 05-28-24, 02:52 PM
Rhydg1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dbking321
I did the tune on my 2017 and it is noticeable after they system adjusts and it makes the care feel quicker in the higher RPMS. I went with the RR tune and since I have the 17 so I had to do it in person. it took a few days for the computer to readjust but afterword the difference is notable. I will say the car is quick but don't expect your car to be truly fast.... but I'm also coming for a 460HP mustang.

I would say it is 100% worth the the money. Note the RR-tune did make my trans shift funny as others have mentioned, however it only hesitates to shift when you put the pedal to the floor when it is in first gear or shifts down to first. I've had the car tuned about 3-4000 miles now.
This issue is repeatable for me, only if I go into the extended rev limit before the transmission is fully up to temp. In my experience it reliably dose not have issues with shifts at all if I let the transmission warm up good first, and very repeatable if I use the extended rev limit before it is.
Old 05-28-24, 06:31 PM
NYIS300awdFS
Pit Crew

Never a bad idea to get to operating temperature before getting throttle happy.
Still waiting for the vf tuner kit to arrive.
I’m going e tuned. The last weeks while waiting started to consider just keeping the stock map, it’s plenty for my use. I’ll go thru the process, if I don’t like it I’ll flash back to stock.
Installed the original intake tube with the sound generator, going back to the F sport pipe for the better throttle response.
I’d like to eventually install an F Sport axleback.
Old 05-28-24, 07:00 PM
Rhydg1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NYIS300awdFS
Never a bad idea to get to operating temperature before getting throttle happy.
Still waiting for the vf tuner kit to arrive.
I’m going e tuned. The last weeks while waiting started to consider just keeping the stock map, it’s plenty for my use. I’ll go thru the process, if I don’t like it I’ll flash back to stock.
Installed the original intake tube with the sound generator, going back to the F sport pipe for the better throttle response.
I’d like to eventually install an F Sport axleback.
At least with the RR tune, it was the difference between it upshifting at all in the extended rev range. On mine if you went into the extended rev range (6800-7200RPM) at all before the transmission was fully up to temp, it would not want to shift in the extended rev range the entire rest of the drive; even once heated up.
Old 06-08-24, 06:39 PM
NYIS300awdFS
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Rhydg1
At least with the RR tune, it was the difference between it upshifting at all in the extended rev range. On mine if you went into the extended rev range (6800-7200RPM) at all before the transmission was fully up to temp, it would not want to shift in the extended rev range the entire rest of the drive; even once heated up.
My VF Tuner is supposed to arrive next week, I’m looking forward to it. Hopefully I like the car tuned better than stock.
Old 06-08-24, 10:04 PM
Rhydg1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NYIS300awdFS
My VF Tuner is supposed to arrive next week, I’m looking forward to it. Hopefully I like the car tuned better than stock.
At least with my RR tune, ( I have both the 7200RPM and a apparently stock 350 tune). They feel very similar when your not flooring it around town. But when you hit the highway the power dose not die out at 4K RPM like the stock 300 tune and it keeps building power. Even just regular driving on NY highways was noticeable. And the shift points made a big difference in fun factor overall. Look forward to hearing your review of the tune. I tried emailing loi a few times trying to buy the tune but never got a response. did not know he had a webstore. Unfortunately my IS was attacked by rodents and the dealer could not find the root cause of a disaster wiring issue that was causing the car to die out and lose all power. So I impulse tossed it and got a B9.5 S4. I have not had to encore any maintenance cost yet and it's still under the rather short factory warranty, so I very happy at least at the moment .
The following users liked this post:
NYIS300awdFS (06-08-24)

Quick Reply: For those of you who have tuned an IS300 to IS350 levels, did it actually work?