GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Disconnect battery or not - for a long vacation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-22, 11:26 AM
SteveGXLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Disconnect battery or not - for a long vacation?

I took delivery of my brand new 2022 GX 460 about two weeks ago. Now I plan to go on a long vacation of about 4 and 1/2 weeks but I'm concerned that the battery may be drained when I come back. Should I disconnect the battery before I leave for my vacation? If I disconnect the battery, would there be any issue after I reconnect it? Would I have to take the car to the dealer to re-program any settings? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-20-22, 12:47 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

I don't recall the last time I disconnected the battery on any ( well except the Trans AM in storage ) of my vehicles while on vacation, and some were as long as 3 months.. came back and it fired right up..
Old 09-20-22, 12:56 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 83 Posts

Put a trickle charger on it. 4 1/2 weeks will not drain your battery but will have some hard time cranking.
The following 2 users liked this post by NewB2Lexus:
brutus27 (07-16-24), IanB2 (09-21-22)
Old 09-20-22, 12:58 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 380 Likes on 212 Posts

I would not worry about leaving it for 4 to 5 weeks.
Longer periods you are better off connecting a battery maintainer to keep the battery topped up.
I often leave mine for 3-4 months in the winter and just use a battery maintainer.
The following users liked this post:
mketz747 (07-17-24)
Old 09-20-22, 12:59 PM
SteveGXLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by m5rahul
I don't recall the last time I disconnected the battery on any ( well except the Trans AM in storage ) of my vehicles while on vacation, and some were as long as 3 months.. came back and it fired right up..
Thank you! This is very helpful to know!
Old 09-20-22, 01:06 PM
SteveGXLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
Put a trickle charger on it. 4 1/2 weeks will not drain your battery but will have some hard time cranking.
Thanks! Thought about putting a trickle charger on it but was also concerned if there could be any potential risk leaving a charger on it in the garage for a long period of time without anybody checking on it...is it safe to do so?
Old 09-20-22, 01:08 PM
SteveGXLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanG
I would not worry about leaving it for 4 to 5 weeks.
Longer periods you are better off connecting a battery maintainer to keep the battery topped up.
I often leave mine for 3-4 months in the winter and just use a battery maintainer.
Thanks! It seems using a trickle charger might be a better option. Is it safe to leave the charger on for longer than a month without anybody checking on it?
Old 09-20-22, 01:54 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 380 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveGXLS
Thanks! It seems using a trickle charger might be a better option. Is it safe to leave the charger on for longer than a month without anybody checking on it?
Yes but if you notice I specified Battery Maintainer, which is also called a Battery Tender or Smart Charger. this is a trickle charger that has built in circuitry that prevents overcharging. 1 amp to 2 amp is enough to keep the battery charged & healthy. Some examples
Amazon Amazon
John00 (09-21-22)
Old 09-20-22, 02:11 PM
SteveGXLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IanG
Yes but if you notice I specified Battery Maintainer, which is also called a Battery Tender or Smart Charger. this is a trickle charger that has built in circuitry that prevents overcharging. 1 amp to 2 amp is enough to keep the battery charged & healthy. Some examples https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=smart+char...ref=nb_sb_noss
Yes, I do have a NOCO Genius5 and have been using it to charge batteries on my other cars. I just haven't used it for trickle charging. In general, I was uncomfortable leaving anything connected to power in the house for a long period of time except fridge and A/C. Perhaps I was being too cautious. I just checked the user manual for NOCO Genius5 which says when in maintenance mode, "The charger can be left connected to the battery indefinitely.". So it seems this is a good option. Will consider having a friend check on things in the garage perhaps a couple of times while I'm away.

IanG (09-20-22)
Old 09-20-22, 06:11 PM
ballistice
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Keep it on a tender at all times you are not driving for more than a few days. It will drastically improve your battery life. I have mine plugged into a solar panel with charge controller.

The following 2 users liked this post by ballistice:
John00 (09-21-22), NewB2Lexus (09-21-22)
Old 09-20-22, 09:02 PM
SteveGXLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ballistice
Keep it on a tender at all times you are not driving for more than a few days. It will drastically improve your battery life. I have mine plugged into a solar panel with charge controller.

This is good to know. Thanks!
ballistice (09-21-22)
Old 09-21-22, 06:42 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 83 Posts

Our GX was delivered in Nov. 2014 and I'm still on the original battery with zero issues.
ballistice (09-21-22)
Old 09-21-22, 03:19 PM
ballistice
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
Our GX was delivered in Nov. 2014 and I'm still on the original battery with zero issues.
Darn good for a daily driver. You are about the end of life of that battery. I have not ever seen a car cattery last more than 8 years or so even in a fair weather vehicle.
Old 09-21-22, 05:29 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,067 Likes on 711 Posts

... a few days ? ... kinda extreme !
Old 09-21-22, 05:33 PM
John00
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 287 Posts

use a battery tender or maintainer not a trickle charger. even at 1A you will fizz out somewhat with a straight trickle. you need the on/off and potential current control of the maintainer.

Quick Reply: Disconnect battery or not - for a long vacation?