GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Problem with Outside Air coming in even in Air Recirculation mode is set

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-23, 09:22 AM
mdony72
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Outside Air coming in even in Air Recirculation mode is set

Hi Everybody

I have problem on my car (4th Gen GS 450h 2012), I think outside air is coming in even though i have put AC Climate button to AIR RECIRCULATION. It is very inconvenient to smell diesel fumes or other car exhaust gas. especially in heavy traffic.
so I open my glove box and found out that there are two valves on top of cabin air filter. One can open and close as how AIR-RECIR-AUTO-FRESH button is positioned, but the other valve stayed closed. the valve that closed looked normal ( i didn't hear or see if was stucked ) i tried to shift it's opening and it didnt' appear to be loose so i didn't continue 'cos I was afraid if i would rip it instead. Is there Anyone has experience similar situation or knows better on this ?
thank you
Old 09-09-23, 05:07 AM
Shiloson
10th Gear

Originally Posted by mdony72
Hi Everybody

I have problem on my car (4th Gen GS 450h 2012), I think outside air is coming in even though i have put AC Climate button to AIR RECIRCULATION. It is very inconvenient to smell diesel fumes or other car exhaust gas. especially in heavy traffic.
so I open my glove box and found out that there are two valves on top of cabin air filter. One can open and close as how AIR-RECIR-AUTO-FRESH button is positioned, but the other valve stayed closed. the valve that closed looked normal ( i didn't hear or see if was stucked ) i tried to shift it's opening and it didnt' appear to be loose so i didn't continue 'cos I was afraid if i would rip it instead. Is there Anyone has experience similar situation or knows better on this ?
thank you

Did you finally sort this out? I'm having the same challenge with my 2013 GS350
Old 09-10-23, 12:56 PM
mdony72
7th Gear

termporary solution,
I duck-tape-ed the Air Inlet hose under the wiper, it completely blocked outside air coming in. For A few weeks it worked just fine, until the other valve also stucked to outside air position.
With both valve stucked, it couldn't sucked internal air for recirculation. I noticed this when suddenly the air flow become very slow. I can stil trick this by keeping the Cabin Air filter a little slided out. so there is room for the blower to suck internal air.
So I think you need to just force the valves to change its direction back to internal air. I didn't do this, cos I m still afraid forcing it will break something,
Let me know if you have other solution
Old 09-17-23, 03:18 AM
Shiloson
10th Gear

Thanks for the update. I really wish there's more info on how to sort this out permanently while retaining the function.

There's a lot of talk on the 3rd Gen forum of something breaking if the cabin air filter is changed when not set to recirculate. Do you know if this affects 4th Gens also?

Last edited by Shiloson; 09-17-23 at 03:33 AM.
Old 09-19-23, 11:07 PM
mdony72
7th Gear

Seems like This HVAC accesories are common problem to Lexus (and some luxury models of toyta) and also confirmed by the local lexus and toyota dealer , it suprised me, I thought this kind of thing only happend to Mercedes/BMW
the motor that drive this valves are failing, Genuine OEM Lexus 87106-30341 Air Mix Servo Motor Damper Control 8710630341, the error code for this is also shown when i scanned with Techstream.
I don't have enough skill to remove and replace maybe i could but i won't finish a day , maybe I'd just force the valves to its proper position and apply something so it will stay that way. that's my plan
Old 03-29-24, 11:38 AM
Shiloson
10th Gear

Seems like This HVAC accesories are common problem to Lexus (and some luxury models of toyta) and also confirmed by the local lexus and toyota dealer , it suprised me, I thought this kind of thing only happend to Mercedes/BMW
the motor that drive this valves are failing, Genuine OEM Lexus 87106-30341 Air Mix Servo Motor Damper Control 8710630341, the error code for this is also shown when i scanned with Techstream.
I don't have enough skill to remove and replace maybe i could but i won't finish a day , maybe I'd just force the valves to its proper position and apply something so it will stay that way. that's my plan
Hello mdony72. Just checking. Did you eventually find a work around?

Old 04-01-24, 02:01 AM
mdony72
7th Gear

Default Solved

Solved. I had a local toyota mechanic helped me . No part had been replaced. I assumed they just disasembly and re install it again.
Old 04-03-24, 12:33 PM
Shiloson
10th Gear

Solved. I had a local toyota mechanic helped me . No part had been replaced. I assumed they just disasembly and re install it again.
Thanks for the response. Did he need to take down the entire dashboard?
Old 04-05-24, 11:05 AM
mdony72
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Shiloson
Thanks for the response. Did he need to take down the entire dashboard?
if u see the picture of those air hose. I dont think it require the whole dash to be removed. I assumend it would only be The glove compartment and a few other part to reach that hoses
Old 05-14-24, 07:31 AM
Mives
2nd gear

At which toyota authorized / workshop did you fix it? Would be great if the same mechanic could fix the same issue on my car.

My 4th gen 2012 GS350 is having the same issue where only one of the two dampers are controllable - went to the nearest toyota authorized and they only helped me to temporarily fix the problem by duct taping a piece of cardboard above the dampers.
Old 05-14-24, 08:05 AM
Pierregirard
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That issue you're having could have something to do with one of those little doors (flaps) you noticed in the glove box area, right above the cabin air filter. Basically, these flaps are supposed to decide whether to let fresh air in from outside or just keep the air already inside circulating.
Old 06-19-24, 08:19 AM
mdony72
7th Gear

Initially I did the the Duct Tape, but it's WRONG, because the duct tape will be blocking the Air Flow, to put them in the correct way should not be difficult, it didn't require you dis-assembly the whole dash. you just need to instruct the mechanic to try it. just remove the console box and some additional part i guessed.
Old 06-19-24, 10:50 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,498 Posts

HERE is the Lexus TSB for the HVAC Servo Motor Malfunction problem.

A Lexus service department can flash reprogram the air conditioning amplifier assembly, which often fixes the problem. But it should be noted that the air conditioning amplifier flash reprogram is only performed ONE TIME if the air conditioning amplifier has NOT been flash reprogrammed previously.

The Lexus tech should follow the procedure exactly as outlined in Service Bulletin L-SB-0001-18 'Techstream ECU Flash Reprogramming Procedure' and flash the air conditioning amplifier with the NEW calibration file update.

Last edited by bclexus; 07-07-24 at 05:28 PM. Reason: orthography
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
mdony72 (06-26-24), Measured (06-19-24)
Old Today, 08:49 PM
Mives
2nd gear

Originally Posted by Pierregirard
That issue you're having could have something to do with one of those little doors (flaps) you noticed in the glove box area, right above the cabin air filter. Basically, these flaps are supposed to decide whether to let fresh air in from outside or just keep the air already inside circulating.
Yup I know - that is why I said I have the same problem as the OP

Initially I did the the Duct Tape, but it's WRONG, because the duct tape will be blocking the Air Flow, to put them in the correct way should not be difficult, it didn't require you dis-assembly the whole dash. you just need to instruct the mechanic to try it. just remove the console box and some additional part i guessed.
Agree - the duct tape was the temporary measure suggested by the Toyota authorized nearby (Auto 2000) as well but to be honest it did not really solve the problem, outside air still enters through the gap - you know how bad the diesel fumes from the trucks in Indonesia can be. They don't want to fiddle with the console box / dashboard and asked me to go to Lexus authorized instead.
As the service queue was too long (as you know we only have 3 Lexus authorized in the whole country), I opted to go to a 3rd party workshop and they got rid of the duct tape and cardboard that Toyota authorized applied, and used damp membrane kit + sealant instead. It works wonders honestly - I don't need fresh air circulation since there is no "fresh air" in Urban Jakarta Metro area.

Originally Posted by bclexus
HERE is the Lexus TSB for the HVAC Servo Motor Malfunction problem.

A Lexus service department can flash reprogram the air conditioning amplifier assembly, which often fixes the problem. But it should be noted that the air conditioning amplifier flash reprogram is only performed ONE TIME if the air conditioning amplifier has NOT been flash reprogrammed previously.

The Lexus tech should follow the procedure exactly as outlined in Service Bulletin L-SB-0001-18 'Techstream ECU Flash Reprogramming Procedure' and flash the air conditioning amplifier with the NEW calibration file update.
Thanks for this - I also came across the same document when doing my own research. When doing my regular maintenance, I brought it to the Lexus authorized to show them this document and they said that reprogramming and cleaning would still need disassembly of the dashboard and it's not guaranteed fix. They suggested since I have solved it with the damp membrane kit + sealant, to just keep it going as it's working very nicely for me and I don't have to waste $$ for the service fee required for disassembly and possibly requiring to replace servo + amplifier.