Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

New forum layout removes link to User CP

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-23, 02:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Default New forum layout removes link to User CP

Looks like the forum just had a software update that removed the easy button at the top to the User CP so you can access your subscribed threads quickly, is there any way to get that back?
Old 08-22-23, 02:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you're wondering what I'm talking about this is a screenshot from MBWorld which still has the old layout

And this is the new layout on CL:

Old 08-22-23, 02:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,979 Likes on 2,507 Posts

That was a handy quick link bar why remove it?
Old 08-22-23, 02:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm hoping its just a fluke, the forum is much more cumbersome to navigate without it
Old 08-22-23, 05:35 PM
IB JT
IB Staff

Received 62 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Looks like the forum just had a software update that removed the easy button at the top to the User CP so you can access your subscribed threads quickly, is there any way to get that back?
Hello,

The UserCP link is now in the global navbar as shown:

The stock forum navbar was removed. Most of the links in the stock forum navbar was already available in the top global navbar. There are a few things that had to move to a new place (such as your last visit date) but this was largely done to reduce duplicate links so close together. The benefit to this is that it allows content to move up and take the space.

The quick single-click link to the UserCP, which serves as a good custom feed, is something the team is looking into while fitting in with this update.

Old 08-22-23, 06:13 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,391 Posts

This is annoying to remove and makes it more difficult for the me (and I suspect rest of moderator team) to view new posts with extra clicks and rolls to get to it, as well as missing some features. For example, where is the vbLive feature? I use that to review posts constantly.

Edit OK so new posts link I can get to and found vblive buried in tools menu. IMO my feedback on moving that specific link , it's not as efficient and will take me more time and coordination on ipad. It will me take a LOT more time and frustration to get to - dozens to 50 times a day - to locate and activate the vblive menu option. This is a real negative.

Most importantly, I've noticed our forum rules which are posted under the FAQ have is disappeared somewhere I haven't found yet. Where are they?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-22-23 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-22-23, 06:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IB JT
Hello,

The UserCP link is now in the global navbar as shown:

The stock forum navbar was removed. Most of the links in the stock forum navbar was already available in the top global navbar. There are a few things that had to move to a new place (such as your last visit date) but this was largely done to reduce duplicate links so close together. The benefit to this is that it allows content to move up and take the space.

The quick single-click link to the UserCP, which serves as a good custom feed, is something the team is looking into while fitting in with this update.
I recognize this is how it works now, it’s cumbersome and annoying. Please put the bar back…I see no benefit to this new layout
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (08-22-23)
Old 08-22-23, 06:31 PM
IB JT
IB Staff

I recognize this is how it works now, it’s cumbersome and annoying. Please put the bar back…I see no benefit to this new layout
The benefit is the content itself, that members read, moves up. It also reduces redundant links, especially ones that are in the same page view. The stock forum navbar was the original navbar, however, it was designed and coded in a time where it was just forum pages. Some years ago the global navbar (top most bar) was added as it can display across all pages - forum based and non-forum based. This resulted in duplicate links.

Is the missing UserCP menu link the biggest concern? This is something we understand and have been working through a possible solution.
bitkahuna (08-22-23)
Old 08-22-23, 06:38 PM
IB JT
IB Staff

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
This is annoying to remove and makes it more difficult for the me (and I suspect rest of moderator team) to view new posts with extra clicks and rolls to get to it, as well as missing some features. For example, where is the vbLive feature? I use that to review posts constantly.

Edit OK so new posts link I can get to and found vblive buried in tools menu. IMO my feedback on moving that specific link , it's not as efficient and will take me more time and coordination on ipad. It will me take a LOT more time and frustration to get to - dozens to 50 times a day - to locate and activate the vblive menu option. This is a real negative.

Most importantly, I've noticed our forum rules which are posted under the FAQ have is disappeared somewhere I haven't found yet. Where are they?
Dave,

Are you referring to this:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq.php

This may have been an oversight by the team. We can customize the global navbar to some degree, so adding it somewhere is possible. Not all sites use the FAQ or really even have one as detailed as ClubLexus so that was probably why it got lost in the update.
Old 08-22-23, 06:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Yes that's it, needs to be prominent and easy to get to. Would also really like to see VBLive and Control Panel (spelled out, not as UserCP which is cryptic) restored at the top level
Old 08-22-23, 06:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I understand that you think this change has those benefits, but the net result is it makes it much harder to access your subscribed threads and navigate the site quickly and efficiently. Posting on both MBWorld which still has the old layout and CL the difference is very apparent. The User CP button is at the core of how I navigate CL…

What works better in concept is not always what works best in reality.
Old 08-22-23, 06:57 PM
IB JT
IB Staff

I understand that you think this change has those benefits, but the net result is it makes it much harder to access your subscribed threads and navigate the site quickly and efficiently. Posting on both MBWorld which still has the old layout and CL the difference is very apparent. The User CP button is at the core of how I navigate CL…

What works better in concept is not always what works best in reality.
The change does have those benefits as a side-by-side comparison shows the gained content space. But I think the real concern is if you believe they are worth it.

We rolled out the change to another site and, besides the UserCP concern, it was pretty well received. In other words, this was not just thrown at CL without doing some background work and getting some data and feedback. The extra click for the UserCP is an understood concern that I believe we have a fairly easy workaround. The UserCP (User Control Panel) was a place to change account settings and be a one and done thing. However, we did find that some people use the UserCP landing page because it contains a feed customized to them and so we understand the interest in having it return as a top tier link.
Old 08-22-23, 07:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

guys, if you have things you use frequently, just bookmark/favorite them.

i'm with IB JT, the nav was a hot mess of duplication and looks cleaner now. one menu bar. other user options are in the menu below your, you know, user name.

change is hard...
Robb M. (08-23-23)
Old 08-22-23, 08:17 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,392 Likes on 1,099 Posts

The change was a step backwards in user ease of use accessibility. Should not have to Bookmark all your different devices when it was on the CL webpage already. I noticed the change as soon as I looked for the missing feature myself. bit I know you are providing a solution, but.... can we request it to be put back?
Old 08-23-23, 06:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
usercp - steve, you said usercp not being there now is an issue... you go to usercp often? if so, why? and putting it in the user's menu is logical and hardly a burden. another option as mentioned would be a gear icon right there without having to go into a menu,
Every time I post. I click User CP to get to my subscribed threads, then I click it again after I post to go back to the list of subscribed threads. Clicking back doesn't refresh the list. Now I have to go to the menu, click, and click again it adds a click which is really annoying.

iPhone is unaffected as you just hit the hamburger and its there.

I think putting that huge ugly old bar back up would be a huge step backwards.
How can a bar of buttons be ugly?

I just want a button right there for the UserCP.

Quick Reply: New forum layout removes link to User CP