Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Necro threads lol

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-23, 11:25 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 971 Likes on 775 Posts
Default Necro threads lol

Hi friends,

I have a question I've been wanting to ask but afraid it's a dumb question. Lol

I've noticed in my time here that occasionally someone will post in a very old thread and then the thread is closed.

Not complaining at all because I'm sure there is a good reason but what is the reason if I can please ask?

Yes I feel really dumb right now asking this but always been wanting to know, so oh well. Lol
Old 11-29-23, 06:13 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Most of the time when that happens there are three reasons:

1) The post in that old thread is a spammer or a bot drawn to the old thread by some keyword it's looking for. They either copy some text from earlier in the thread or make an innocuous comment in it. Later they'll come back and edit their post in the thread to put ads or suspicious links in it.
2) The post in the old thread happens when a member has the 'related threads' feature enabled and link into the new thread accidentally. They think they're posting in the original thread and they're not.
3) Newly joined member who was lead to a thread by google or generic search. Often times I'll break off their post or copy it to it's own thread or move to an appropriate one in the model forums, then close the one they found so it doesn't get confusing when they continue to post in it