Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

"debate" forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-04, 01:09 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "debate" forum

I am tired of people just posting threads of little editorials they have written or copied for everyone to read. It is annoying and frustrating. Not only is there nothing to debate, but it seems like these threads' sole purpose is to infuriate others who might have a differnt opinion.

Example:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=139638

I suggest we mandate that each new thread begin with a question, or one solid, specific topic that can be discussed based on facts. Or something.
Old 11-05-04, 01:31 PM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appears that the thread you linked has been eliminated.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 11-05-04 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-05-04, 01:48 PM
LexFather

Default Re: "debate" forum

Originally posted by Pianoman72
I am tired of people just posting threads of little editorials they have written or copied for everyone to read. It is annoying and frustrating. Not only is there nothing to debate, but it seems like these threads' sole purpose is to infuriate others who might have a differnt opinion.

Example:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=139638

I suggest we mandate that each new thread begin with a question, or one solid, specific topic that can be discussed based on facts. Or something.
Sorry Pianoman, I merged the 2 threads. They had almost the same title. Well, maybe we can request people to add their thoughts when they post a cut and paste? and maybe require links to the source?
Old 11-24-04, 09:24 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am SICK of the debate forum too. It's nearly all a one-sided view presented by a few members. I get SO mad seeing the thread titles because they're 99% garbage. The "debate" forum has become a political breeding ground for ignorance, stupidity, and hate. It makes me so mad every time I visit this board I end up logging off....if you can't say anything nice... I used to favor CL but ever since the "debate forum" was added I started visiting less and less.

REMOVE THE DEBATE FORUM. Nothing is gained by having it. This is an AUTO website. You don't see me posting my political views on Lexls.com. Websites need to have a unifying theme and the debate forum does not fit the CL theme. I know I can choose to not visit the debate forum and I have made that choice. However, the fact that it's there at all makes me not want to visite CL as a whole.
Old 11-24-04, 09:27 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

Originally posted by Earl!
I am SICK of the debate forum too. It's nearly all a one-sided view presented by a few members. I get SO mad seeing the thread titles because they're 99% garbage. The "debate" forum has become a political breeding ground for ignorance, stupidity, and hate. It makes me so mad every time I visit this board I end up logging off....if you can't say anything nice... I used to favor CL but ever since the "debate forum" was added I started visiting less and less.

REMOVE THE DEBATE FORUM. Nothing is gained by having it. This is an AUTO website. You don't see me posting my political views on Lexls.com. Websites need to have a unifying theme and the debate forum does not fit the CL theme. I know I can choose to not visit the debate forum and I have made that choice. However, the fact that it's there at all makes me not want to visite CL as a whole.
Earl,

When we opened the debate forum it was specifically to keep threads like those that bother you OUT of the Clubhouse area for the exact reasons you posted.... it bothered some people having to read or even see them posted. I asked any members (in a sticky at the top of the debate forum) to PM me if they didn't want to see that forum or its contents. Based on your comments above I have removed it from your view.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-24-04 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-25-04, 07:26 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Well this sort of helps, at least when I log in. Thanks Dave .

Maybe I wasn't clear enough before. I think it should be removed from the site altogether. I know what happens in that forum and just because it's there is upsetting to me. At least now I don't have to see it but it's still there. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-25-04, 07:45 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

I do agree that the election got people spun up, and many take a very narrow view and are quite vehment and outspoken - more to denegrate 'the other side'. I'll see if we can't make some changes in that too, I'd hoped that would happen naturally after the election ended.
Old 11-26-04, 05:06 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Well this sort of helps, at least when I log in. Thanks Dave .

Maybe I wasn't clear enough before. I think it should be removed from the site altogether. I know what happens in that forum and just because it's there is upsetting to me. At least now I don't have to see it but it's still there. Just my 2 cents.
May i ask why it still bothers you

I would have figured out of sight out of mind

????
Old 11-26-04, 09:06 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by T.L.W.
May i ask why it still bothers you

I would have figured out of sight out of mind

????
As I said before, the debate forum is nearly all garbage and lies. I followed it for a few months and it didn't change. It's only an actual debate about 5-10% of the time. When this is the case I think we need to take a good hard look at the forum and ask ourselves, is this forum actually worth keeping it it's not working?

It bothers me because just about every thread I saw offended me...to the point I had to log off...otherwise I probably would have been banned! Another thing is that I know a lot of younger folks are frequent CL members. It bothers me that they cannot see a balanced viewpoint, just an extreme viewpoint. It still bothers me because I know it hasn't changed.
Old 11-27-04, 08:08 AM
ddarbs55
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EARL, not that i disagree with the one-sidedness of the forum, but i think in many ways
that this is a view of what America has become. we have become very outspoken one one
side of the spectrum and very quiet on the other side. the other side still exists, but for some
reason does not choose to be very outspoken.
for younger people who are on this forum they require being able to see for themselves what
the views are. those that oppose the majority views on the forum have the right to speak up
and support their views.
i don't think elimiating the forum would silence the very outspoken (though i don't believe that
is your ultimate goal to begin with). you would still have members that have (what some would
call) offensive political views in their sig lines. i would say that it would not be good to stop
them, but to view them for what they are and oppose them on topic. the debate forum is a great
vehicle for doing this.
just my .01 (don't think i know enough to have .02)
-darbs.
Old 11-27-04, 09:28 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

. . . . .the debate forum is nearly all garbage . . . . . . It's only an actual debate about 5-10% of the time.
I agree, but that's why they want to seperate them from the clubhouse, & let the members who still want to view them go to the debate forum, unless they want to close/delete all political threads.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 11-27-04 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-27-04, 12:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
I do agree that the election got people spun up, and many take a very narrow view and are quite vehment and outspoken - more to denegrate 'the other side'. I'll see if we can't make some changes in that too, I'd hoped that would happen naturally after the election ended.

Tell you what, guys.....I got a suggestion here. Some of you are obviously getting disgusted with the Debate Forum. Though I'm a regular poster there myself , I agree that sometimes things get out of hand with name-calling and personal attacks (things I try to avoid)....and that turns some people off. The recent election, especially, was a source of a lot of combat there.
Dave...you've mentioned in some other threads that CL may need some additional money to help keep it afloat....apparantly the sponsors are contributing enough to cover everything.
Here's what I suggest: Some people are tired of the Debate Forum, period. Some are going to post on it come hell or high water. Others.......like me.....are in the middle somewhere. CL needs money. People want to debate. So...the obvious solution: Make the Debate Forum a pay-per-view or a pay-to-post forum for the die-hards and the people who want to slug it out on the keyboard and get their views in no matter what. I don't need to use any names here...we know who they are, and so do they. Dave, you would continue to monitor the debates and set up debate rules just like you do now....and continue to close threads or ban members who don't abide by them. A CL account could be set up....and those who want to belong to the Debate Forum would agree to have a monthly fee deducted from their own checking, savings, or credit card.

This, IMO, would solve several problems at once. First, it would help support CL financially. Second, it would isolate those who find the present Debate Forum offensive...they would not be a part of it. Third, we would find out who REALLY believes what he or she is saying instead of just posting stuff for posting's sake. Fourth, people would be more careful about what they post. And, Fifth (and perhaps most important).....once people PAY for the priviledge of posting, I think they will not be so quick to break the forum rules. It would be in their own best interest to follow CL protocol because it could end up being their own money wasted if they wind up getting banned, especially if the fees deductions each month are non-refundable. They will have lost whatever remains from that month.

Anyhow...that is MY suggestion for the Debate problems.
Old 11-27-04, 12:55 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mmarshall
..... This, IMO, would solve several problems at once. First, it would help support CL financially. Second, it would isolate those who find the present Debate Forum offensive...they would not be a part of it. Third, we would find out who REALLY believes what he or she is saying instead of just posting stuff for posting's sake. Fourth, people would be more careful about what they post. And, Fifth (and perhaps most important).....once people PAY for the priviledge of posting, I think they will not be so quick to break the forum rules. It would be in their own best interest to follow CL protocol because it could end up being their own money wasted if they wind up getting banned, especially if the fees deductions each month are non-refundable. They will have lost whatever remains from that month.
I think you're on to something, very good idea mmarshall . You make excellent points. It would definitely determine how many people really care about having it and it would help CL at the same time. I would be happy with this type of solution. I simply do not have time to counter the number of posts in the debate forum so I chose to stop viewing it.