Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Polite vent

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-04, 11:16 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Polite vent

What is happening to the sc3/4 forum....??
Every question known to man is being asked
and all are easily found using the search feature...

I actually got a headache trying to sift thru the nonsense to
read a decent post... I am amazed at the patience OLT displays
at times... I think with the recent bunch of new owners there are
numerous posts about the basic quirks....

I know ... be kind to newbies...lol but man... this is getting
bad...

Now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast....
Old 12-02-04, 10:27 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

You do have a point. A lot of these issues can be dealt with a simple search.

However, I do have a bigger problem with topics that turn into one big butt-kissing thread. These usually contribute nothing to CL.

Ed
Old 12-02-04, 11:27 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Ed... very true.
Old 12-21-04, 08:33 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So true.

(Ed, can you fart so I can get my nose out of your a$$). LOL
Old 12-21-04, 10:14 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default No doubt about it- it has changed, and it is only going to get worse.....

The used car market has not been kind to our coupes, and as a result they are now affordable to every and all driver demographic that is out there. Based on that premise you can draw your own conclusions (and since it is in your own mind, feel free to be as politically incorrect as you wish).

I've stopped reading, much less responding to many of the threads being started on that forum, and I don't envy Brian's (OLT) job. Maybe the answer is not to have so much patience (since it does not seem to be working, and in any case, the damage is already being done).
Old 12-21-04, 10:18 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,366 Posts

I think we need to make any FAQ materials more visible and more pointed.

SHOPPING FOR AN SC? READ THIS.

FIRST TIME SC MEMBER? READ THIS.

Leveraging all the work that Rich has done and pointing folks to that. I've also been doing some stuff for a GS FAQ that should be transportable.
Old 12-21-04, 10:29 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Default Dave to the rescue! Yet again! This might help:

I've been suggesting this for over a year, and I have yet to be told why it couldn't or shouldn't be done- for the first 50 or 100 posts of new member, when the "new thread" button is pressed, a Pop Up Box should appear with a few terse instructions such as "use search", "check the FAQs", "Title your thread completely and accurately" and "Don't be an idiot" (ok ok, so I got a bit carried away there).

If the pop up idea won't fly, then perhaps the "new thread" screen itself can be edited to contain the same instructions (minus that last one. Maybe.).
Old 12-21-04, 10:36 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

It shouldn't be done because its a customization that costs $$ both in the current release and would carry forward costing more $$ to re-implement and test in every upgrade to new versions of VB we put in.

We're updating the forum rules and the 'welcome' email that new members get that will hopefully get some of those points across and head off the newbness.
Old 12-21-04, 10:39 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

I don't wanna be mean when i say this so take it lightly but................. have ya seen the big captialized letters that say "READ THIS BEFORE POSTING" which has specific search faq's and help in there and yet .................. there will be 10 new posts tommorrow about a topic that could have been searched by a pet, one armed, near sighted orangutan... with 20 hits returned on the search.

We harp on the search, we give examples, people just don't read stickies it seems.

Example: '97 conversion....... in the vendors forum, and stuck to the top of the SC forum for months with detailed instructions and info...... i can show you 20 threads started about "what is the difference in the 92 SC's and 97 sc's" within the timeframe the first conversion gb was going on and stickied to the top of the forum with all the info in it.

I want our members to feel comfortable asking questions, therefore i try to help when they ask, even if it is one of those you want to roll your eyes about. It is a hassle and it is troubling, but one thing that can be done is for members to give people search examples, then the next time they do it without searching, simply link the previous thread asking if they tried your advice and what is the problem so you can help them use the feature more effectively.
Old 12-21-04, 10:44 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Fair enough, Dave. I had hoped vBulletin had such a pop up feature that could be just "switched on"- it seems to have quite a few customization options. Too bad it can't be more easily implemented than having to write more VB code.

How about the "Reply to Thread" screen? I noticed that CL customized the "smileys" box- is that white space to the right of the "Subject" box available?

And I certainly welcome updating the forum rules and the 'welcome' email that new members get to more strongly stress the issues we are talking about here.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 12-21-04 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-21-04, 10:52 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Nope, not open unfortunately.

The smilies are all table driven (not a customization, more like gallery upload).
Old 12-22-04, 02:28 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

*cough* most common thread. (posted today)

Last edited by O. L. T.; 12-22-04 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-22-04, 07:04 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
The used car market has not been kind to our coupes, and as a result they are now affordable to every and all driver demographic that is out there. Based on that premise you can draw your own conclusions (and since it is in your own mind, feel free to be as politically incorrect as you wish).

I've stopped reading, much less responding to many of the threads being started on that forum, and I don't envy Brian's (OLT) job. Maybe the answer is not to have so much patience (since it does not seem to be working, and in any case, the damage is already being done).
im with you on this Perry.

also, can we lose some of those stickies in the SC forum?