Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Time for RX Subthreads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-05, 06:52 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I was taking it a step further. I am not sure if there is enough activity to warrant separate 300 and 330 threads, but I do believe the 400 will have it's own share of activity mainly because there are so many things that are different about it. Beyond the cabin; seats, lift door, nav system... many things are completely different so discussions lend way to confusion.

Differences to the 400
  • Gas Engine
  • Electric Motors
  • Transmission
  • AWD System
  • Instrument Panel
  • Trip Computer
  • Steering
  • Skid Control: VDIM
  • HVAC System
  • Handling
  • Weight
  • Rims
  • Rear Tail Lamps
  • Starting the vehicle

These are just a few of the items that are different. Some of the items I listed are very specific, others are broad and carry much discussion material with them.

When CL members discuss any of these topics area in a mixed 330/400 thread there is bound to be confusion if they don't preface what vehicle they are talking about. But why should they do that? Isn't that why we have different forums, for different vehicles?
Old 05-15-05, 05:31 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look, I fully agree and I believe this was posted earlier too.

To my point again about heirarchy of forum ids, when I went to the rx forum just now, clicked it with the names CL has, I fully expected to get the 330/400 forum on the main ID, instead it looks like the ld 300 stuff. I really think that the newer material needs to have precedence over the older stuff. CL may be looking at the numbers of posters now and trying to keep the most likely posters on the first ID, I think though that logic and basic convention would indicate that the newer forums should be first - at least I think that way. For instance on the GX forum, the oldest is first on the list, I think the forums should be listed in descending order with the most recent first. Else, look at what happens down the road ( sorry ) when there are more subforums, if the oldest is always first the newest viewers are searching for their forums for the latest models out on the far right somwhere. In short, put the forums for subthreads order as newest first, then oldest . BYW, what happened to GS 2nd generation? Also, speaking for myself, by placing the newest material, i.e., model forums first, I will be more likely to stop there to check out what is on the newest forum - if my old forum is first I know that's all I will check out, then I am out of there.
Old 05-15-05, 06:25 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Originally Posted by looknow12
Well, I was taking it a step further. I am not sure if there is enough activity to warrant separate 300 and 330 threads, but I do believe the 400 will have it's own share of activity mainly because there are so many things that are different about it. Beyond the cabin; seats, lift door, nav system... many things are completely different so discussions lend way to confusion.

Differences to the 400
  • Gas Engine
  • Electric Motors
  • Transmission
  • AWD System
  • Instrument Panel
  • Trip Computer
  • Steering
  • Skid Control: VDIM
  • HVAC System
  • Handling
  • Weight
  • Rims
  • Rear Tail Lamps
  • Starting the vehicle

These are just a few of the items that are different. Some of the items I listed are very specific, others are broad and carry much discussion material with them.

When CL members discuss any of these topics area in a mixed 330/400 thread there is bound to be confusion if they don't preface what vehicle they are talking about. But why should they do that? Isn't that why we have different forums, for different vehicles?
looknow12:

We discussed keeping the 400 its own forum but the list of similarities far exceeds the differences. It's going to stay that way for several months until we can take a look at the traffic patterns of the posts. We'll re-consider it down the road.
Old 05-15-05, 06:31 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by parula
Look, I fully agree and I believe this was posted earlier too.

To my point again about heirarchy of forum ids, when I went to the rx forum just now, clicked it with the names CL has, I fully expected to get the 330/400 forum on the main ID, instead it looks like the ld 300 stuff. I really think that the newer material needs to have precedence over the older stuff. CL may be looking at the numbers of posters now and trying to keep the most likely posters on the first ID, I think though that logic and basic convention would indicate that the newer forums should be first - at least I think that way. For instance on the GX forum, the oldest is first on the list, I think the forums should be listed in descending order with the most recent first. Else, look at what happens down the road ( sorry ) when there are more subforums, if the oldest is always first the newest viewers are searching for their forums for the latest models out on the far right somwhere. In short, put the forums for subthreads order as newest first, then oldest . BYW, what happened to GS 2nd generation? Also, speaking for myself, by placing the newest material, i.e., model forums first, I will be more likely to stop there to check out what is on the newest forum - if my old forum is first I know that's all I will check out, then I am out of there.
I agree the naming can be tweaked a bit, we'll work on that. In the interim, you can click on the RX330/400 sub-forum directly from the main menu.

I haven't noticed anything being oldest first on any of the forums... I'll check the preferences for it for the new forum to see how its set, but regardless its an individually set preference in our profile under thread display options
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/pro...do=editoptions

The 2nd gen GS forum is still the 'main' GS forum as that is by far the largest population of active members we have on ClubLexus.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-models-4/
Old 05-16-05, 03:48 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For the longest time you've had 300 and 330 threads mixed, no one ever complained about that. Why the need to change it now?
Old 05-16-05, 06:19 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll complain about that. I think the 1999-2003 RX300 should be on one thread and the 2004-current RX330/400h should be on another (default) thread.

I hope this is agreeable moderators?..

Cheers.
Old 05-16-05, 07:09 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by looknow12
For the longest time you've had 300 and 330 threads mixed, no one ever complained about that. Why the need to change it now?
Actually several members did request it in the past, and the volume of RX330 threads alone did not warrant the separate subforum. The RX400H has created more volume of threads & interest in the newer model, so the timing is right to create a subforum dedicated to it.

Originally Posted by DDLexus
I'll complain about that. I think the 1999-2003 RX300 should be on one thread and the 2004-current RX330/400h should be on another (default) thread.

I hope this is agreeable moderators?..

Cheers.
Yes - after some discussion and observation, we agree. That is the way it's setup now (I think... you may be asking for the 330/400H to be the main forum. There is a much smaller base of historical posts on the RX330 models, so creating a subforum for those posts makes sense vs flip flopping at this point).

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-16-05 at 07:16 AM.