Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Weird Climate Control lighting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-05, 12:09 AM
ADAM P
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Climate Control lighting problem

I bought a 94 SC3 a couple months ago and everything was fine besides the half burnt a/c display. I purchased a working unit from another member of CL and installed it. That night I found that it did not light up when the lights were turned on. Ive since pulled the unit out only to find that the 3 bulbs are lighting up. Ive tried the old unit and they light up as well when its all taken apart. When it is all together you cannot see any lighting through the front of the display. Has this problem ever arose? Any kind of wire or resistor that I may have broken? It sucks not being able to see the display @ night

Any help anyone?????
Old 06-30-05, 01:35 AM
Bazz2
Driver School Candidate

The 3 bulbs only light up the buttons, if its the LCD display thats not lit then you need to renew the 3 LEDs which are soldered to the pcb.
To get at these you need to gently lift up the LCD and you will see the LEDs, I live in the UK so Iam unable to suggest were you can get replacement LED's .

Hope this Helps
Old 06-30-05, 07:41 AM
ADAM P
Lead Lap

Those are the 3 bulbs I was reffering to. You have to lift up on the display to get back there to them. Is there anything else that would cause these not to light up through the frontal display? Nothing is blocking them
Old 06-30-05, 11:02 AM
L. L. S.
Former Sponsor

You just need some work done like everyone else. Give us a yell.

http://lextech.org/osCommerce/index....517b3b9b9ba2f4

very bottom one is stock.
Old 07-07-05, 06:31 PM
ADAM P
Lead Lap

IS the fix just a replacement of the bulbs? When I pulled the unit the 3 bulbs still light up but couldnt see any light through the display
Old 07-07-05, 07:18 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

all you need is a slight understanding of soldering, and you can fix that for a fraction of having someone else do it for you. i did mine. took me 20 minutes tops. any radio shack or place like that can get you the bulbs for a few dollars, then its 20-30 min, and its fixed for way cheaper.

now if the display is busted, i dunno what to tell ya besides go to a junk yard and pick one up for 30 bucks.
Old 07-07-05, 07:47 PM
L. L. S.
Former Sponsor

You are wrong on both points.

(1) "radio shack" cannot get the proper voltage of bulb. They will either be too dim, or burn too hot for the display to operate safely.

(2) LLS doesn't charge labor, you didn't even look at the price. Not to mention the quality of 14v hyper bulbs. http://lextech.org/osCommerce/produc...37a77369592582

(3) $30 for a perfect climate from a Lexus in a junkyard? That entire post was very exaggerated. $200 is usually the going rate. Anyone will verify.
Old 07-07-05, 07:59 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

i can verify with myself cuz i personally bought a perfect climate out of a lexus in a junkyard. 30 bucks. bulbs were out, but that couldn't effect the price, cuz there was no way for the guy to know. and i'm not attacking you, just saying to check out all options before shipping it out and paying someone else if it can be fixed for cheaper.
Old 07-07-05, 08:02 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

oh, and if LLS doesn't charge labor, where is the money going when people pay 200 bucks for just white gauges? i am doing my entire gauge cluster, needles, climate, everything for 50 bucks. i never mentioned specifics or anything, but if you wanna throw numbers around...
Old 07-07-05, 09:47 PM
L. L. S.
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TWISTED II
i can verify with myself cuz i personally bought a perfect climate out of a lexus in a junkyard. 30 bucks. bulbs were out, but that couldn't effect the price, cuz there was no way for the guy to know. and i'm not attacking you, just saying to check out all options before shipping it out and paying someone else if it can be fixed for cheaper.
That's good you got one for that. I said the going rate was $200, and that's what it is. Nothing more to it. I've bought BMW's for 8k that were worth double. It happens. but you can't dispute the going rate that majorily everyone will pay.
Old 07-07-05, 09:48 PM
L. L. S.
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TWISTED II
oh, and if LLS doesn't charge labor, where is the money going when people pay 200 bucks for just white gauges? i am doing my entire gauge cluster, needles, climate, everything for 50 bucks. i never mentioned specifics or anything, but if you wanna throw numbers around...
Maybe I was wrong, but I believe we are talking about a climate control here

You wanna use cheap LED's that's your business. I have hid's in my BMW that were $650.00. I don't doubt you'd find some cheap one's for $200 somewhere and be perfectly happy..........until they blow. You just started this project on your dash and have no experience whatsoever in how they are going to react. Why not listen to someone who knows? You think I'm going to Jamaica over $35 bucks? Tech labor is $40-65 per hour. It takes one complete hour PLUS the cost of the bulbs. That venture will run you about $85 anywhere. Bulb cost for 6 units .... $35. I spent years developing the correct bulb and circut to eliminate this problem all together and get rid of the voltage spikes......... which you don't even know exist. I'm just trying to offer some info. Bulbs like the one's at radio shack take those voltage spikes down the throat and after a few years they just give up after being spiked all the time........... but a bulb that rides above the voltage spikes limits...well........... that's something to talk about

DIY's are great, DIY's with some helpful knowledge from years of doing this are better.

Last edited by L. L. S.; 07-07-05 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-07-05, 10:04 PM
ADAM P
Lead Lap

When I had the unit out I saw the bulbs light up but could not see a lighting difference through the display. Do they dim out before going out completely? Never heard of that but who knows
Old 07-07-05, 10:14 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

you only saw 3 bulbs, there are 6
Old 07-08-05, 03:41 AM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

if junk yards somewhere are charging 200 bucks for climate controls, sorry, but your getting ripped off IMO.

and i'm not using radio shack LEDs. i said check out radio shack to replace HIS climate control BULBS. i mentioned nowhere that i was using cheap radio shack LEDs on my cluster; so lets avoid putting words in my mouth.

and i understand you like, do this for a living, but, you really aren't the only one who understands electronics and how stuff works. thats why I'm using a voltage regualtor, and and the proper resistance to make sure that everyting runs safely, while still maximizing the mcd level.

this is gonna get no where really fast, so we can discuss more in my thread once i have a perfect end result for 50 bucks total. with needles, climate and everything working perfectly.
Old 07-08-05, 03:43 AM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
you only saw 3 bulbs, there are 6
you sure your looking at the same thing? the thing we're all talking about, there are only 3 bulbs. there is a white piece, thats coned into 3 sections that shine at the screen. 3 bulbs, not 6. unless they differ from year to year.