Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Issue : too many repeated questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-06, 11:32 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Issue : too many repeated questions...

Solution : either limit or take away thread starting capabilities away from newbie members possibly under 100-150 posts. We all know why this should be done and it only helps new members forcing them to read up on given information. This helps them actually read the FAQ's and if a miracle happens, learn to search.

I've been keeping this in for a really long time but I've been driven past the line to starting a thread about it, especially if you guys have seen the SC forums...it is a bit sad...

Hope some people can agree with me here, or any disagreements, we can work this out to see some action around here.
Old 02-02-06, 11:34 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
Solution : either limit or take away thread starting capabilities away from newbie members possibly under 100-150 posts. We all know why this should be done and it only helps new members forcing them to read up on given information. This helps them actually read the FAQ's and if a miracle happens, learn to search.

I've been keeping this in for a really long time but I've been driven past the line to starting a thread about it, especially if you guys have seen the SC forums...it is a bit sad...

Hope some people can agree with me here, or any disagreements, we can work this out to see some action around here.
We don't have the ability to do that with our software.

One of the action items we have to complete is opening the FAQ section of the SC forum. I'll make that a near term priority, we've been pulled away from that a bit with an upgrade and the activity in the 2IS forums.
Old 02-02-06, 12:12 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I wholeheartedly understand where you are coming from Calvin. I don't think the minimum post option really works. Too namy "crap posts" with no content so they can start threads.

I feel that the attitude change that was brought into the SC forum has worked well. I know I was guilty of posting short, attitudy threads to noobies. Stating no more than "search you dummy" (in essence).
I now try to take the time to answer a question along with a search result and stating something like "search yielded this".

Sure, we'll still get new members that won't search, but I do feel that over the past few months I have noticed quite a few newer members that I helped initially, doing the same for even newer members.
Old 02-02-06, 12:16 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I think it will work. For those instances where somebody just needs a quick question answered and they will be on their merry way. 99.9% chance that it will have been answered already and found with a rather simple search.

I agree though that the forum has gotten a bit better in the last month but really came down as of lately. Something needs to be done but I will wait patiently for this FAQ to come and see what happens.
Old 02-02-06, 12:33 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very true. As of late, the SC forum has begun to regress slightly. Hopefully the FAQ sticky will help. In the meantime maybe we should try to steer these noobs in the right direction

Show them the way, if you will.

It definately gets trying at times. Especially the new post about Angel Eyes, with the caveat in the post, "Please dont give me all sorts of crap about angel eyes on a lexus because no offence but frankly, i really dont care what you think it looks like... ". That attitude from the get go is just as bad as me telling him "go somewhere else if you can't search"

You're reply was perfect Cal!
Old 02-03-06, 09:51 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mods have discussed the options of not allowing newbies to start threads, but that could have unintended consequences. As mkorsu indicates, it could lead to a flood of inconsequential posts just to build post count so the member can get over that threshold. Worse, it might frustrate new members with very legitimate questions. Can we solve the problem completely? NO, some people will never bother to search, read other threads, or even look at the FAQ's. That's just human nature, and we have to deal with it.

The best compromise, given the current software is to put a FAQ section in each model forum - limiting some of the repetetive posts and creating a quick, handy summary of basic knowledge for new members and old. For now, the mods will try their best to merge threads, point questions to previous threads, and encourage the use of the "search" function. As the new IS forums are generating a lot of traffic, and the SC forums continue to grow, they will get the most attention. Over in my part of the CL world, the RX forums, we are even beginning to see more activity than ever before.

Hang in there, this is a work in progress . . . Dave and the other Admins are paddling as fast as they can!
Old 02-03-06, 11:01 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

We hope the FAQ will solve this issue and I can assure you that if questions are posted that are already answered in the FAQ forum (and they will be) we'll lock the thread and direct them to the FAQ in an effort to get them to READ the FAQ.

You've heard a lot about it, but not seen it so to hold you guy's over - here is a small snippet of what to expect.

What's the glory of the FAQ? It's all in ONE SPOT.
Attached Thumbnails Issue : too many repeated questions...-screenshot.jpeg  
Old 02-03-06, 12:33 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should I turbo my SC? If so how much HP can I get ?
Old 02-21-06, 11:35 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad to see official word that the SC FAQs are almost here and that redundant threads will be locked. Sorry to see it come down to that, but nothing else has worked so far.

The moderators of CL (and Brian and Dave in particular) are to be commended for recognizing the issue and working towards possible fixes such as this- the admins of many other discussion forums would just shrug their shoulders and tell us to "deal with it".

As you can see from the above screen shot, OLT has done a great job of "pre-loading" the FAQs with almost every conceivable question that new and not-so-new SC owners tend to ask. Rich (Lex400sc) and I also had the privilege of being asked to contribute to the FAQ section, but night-owl Brian beat us to the punch in most cases (notice above the one obscure FAQ I was able to squeeze in).

There is one new member on the SC forum that has been doing lots of searching, reading old threads, and then posting on them if he has more to contribute or ask. You can tell he is doing that by all the ancient threads he has resurrected lately. This is much more preferable than starting yet another thread, and it's great to have him on board. If only he was the rule rather than the exception!

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 02-21-06 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-17-06, 01:29 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
There is one new member on the SC forum that has been doing lots of searching, reading old threads, and then posting on them if he has more to contribute or ask. You can tell he is doing that by all the ancient threads he has resurrected lately. This is much more preferable than starting yet another thread, and it's great to have him on board. If only he was the rule rather than the exception!
Who dat? I'll send him some fresh baked cookies!