Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-01, 10:27 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah...I get your point, but I do not see how is this site differs from any other automative forums. You need spounsorship, get it old fasioned way...advertising. This way members will actually feel at home rather then be restricted here and there.

I actually agree about the picture hosting service. Members should use their own web space for that. I must say this site is one of very few ones to host images.

I say stop the image hosting service, put up some banners and make some free membership. Thats what all the other similar sites do and don't say "I don't think what other sites are doing is relevant to the adminstration of CL" since these 'unrelated' sites do not have any discussions/problems like that.
Old 10-04-01, 03:51 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by retrodrive

I say stop the image hosting service, put up some banners and make some free membership. Thats what all the other similar sites do and don't say "I don't think what other sites are doing is relevant to the adminstration of CL" since these 'unrelated' sites do not have any discussions/problems like that.
Yes stop the image hosing service. I upload pics to my own space and it's fine if we don't get any. If we don't have any we don't need to argue about it.

Banners, sure. We get alot of advertising already. Many people/businesses got some profit because of CL and verbal advertisements gettin thrown around. CL members contribute info and has to pay....... businesses get mentioned and discussed and make money and don't have to....... hmm......
Old 10-04-01, 08:31 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I said it once and i'm saying it again . Is 30 dollars really that hard to part with considering what we drive ?

I say No . I plan on making another donation in January .
Old 10-04-01, 09:49 PM
HKSpowerGS4
Driver

I dont think its mainly the point of the $30, its the principle of a "required" donation. I see both sides of it, but I have been a part of many other forums (Supraforums.com / Mkiv.com ) that offer substantial substance as CL does that do not require donations for full access and feel and seen that it can be done without it. I can maybe understand non-paid members not being able to use certain new features, but removing certain features that were once free, makes it a bit akward. Just my 2 cents..
Old 10-04-01, 10:13 PM
mkilty
Lead Lap

Running a popular website is expensive. The cost for this site starts at 5000$ per month and that goes up. Figure in paying someone 40$ per hour for 4 hours a day hoping that they can do PHP, MySQL and other web technologies for this price. Then add a dedicated server, software, bandwidth etc...and that adds more money. Of course let's not forget the paid newsfeeds for the two newsgroups that are for donating members. And the list goes on....

Dotcom companies failed because they had no viable revenue stream. Internet users expected everything for free and so companies went out of business.

How will ClubLexus evolve over the next months and years? Who knows for sure but I know that I want it to be the best place for Lexus owners and I am willing to work hard but I know it has to be run like a business or it will fade out.

Thats why sites like overboost.com has a real subscription for full-access to their content. Of course ClubLexus does not yet have content like overboost BUT it will. At least if I can help it.

If you don't like paying a donation , fine. Just don't expect to use features for free that I am paying for out of my own pocket.

Michael
Old 10-04-01, 11:11 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by mkilty
Running a popular website is expensive. The cost for this site starts at 5000$ per month and that goes up. Figure in paying someone 40$ per hour for 4 hours a day hoping that they can do PHP, MySQL and other web technologies for this price. Then add a dedicated server, software, bandwidth etc...and that adds more money. Of course let's not forget the paid newsfeeds for the two newsgroups that are for donating members. And the list goes on....

hello Michael.

So you actually pay 5000+ dollars a month to maintain ClubLexus.com? :eek:
Old 10-05-01, 04:23 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Note: this is not directed to anyone...this is just my general opinion...

Mike runs this site out of his pocket...I'm sorry, but $30 is NOTHING for "membership" to Club Lexus...it's not like it's Club Daewoo or something... People can afford an $30K-$70K car and they can't "donate" $30?!

While other sites are free, there are MANY pay sites....is there a free site that's as good as Club Lexus? No. I'm sure that if some COMPANIES came forward to SPONSOR Club Lexus, Mike would drop the $30 thing altogether...So RATHER than complaining about $30, why not try to find Club Lexus some SPONSORS then?

And people that DO donate SHOULD get some more features than non-donaters, don't you think?
Old 10-05-01, 05:22 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

manaray,

I wholeheartedly agree - well put.

Especially your comment,

'is there a free site that's as good as Club Lexus? No.'
Old 10-06-01, 02:27 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
If it is that bad (30 dollars)maybe we can set up a payment plan or something.......
sounds good to me.

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

Hey if u don't wanna pay, that is fine, continue to enjoy the site, but don't question paid members for having additional features.
Exactly right.
Old 10-08-01, 03:26 PM
damnboy
Pole Position

CL is the site I visit everyday and I learn A LOT here. That's why I'm willing and happy to donate. As the webmaster of my company, I know it's not easy to maintained site like this with limited resources. Kudos to Mike~

The only thing I'm not happy about myself is when I donate using Paypal via credit card, I forgot I already over my credit limit so credit card company charge me $29 for overlimit fee. Damn it...
So mike, plz make a note that I donate $59... hehe
Old 10-28-01, 01:42 PM
blownIS200
Pole Position

Talking

if we are already ClubLexus paid members ,and we keep donating,do we get gold stars or even rows and rows of medals like your US generals

i had to work really hard at school to get a gold star,even brought an apple in for the teacher once................................mike .....you want an apple
Old 10-28-01, 04:30 PM
BONLAW98
Driver School Candidate

Default WHERE DO I SEND THE $$$$$$$$$$$$

I AM A NEW LEXUS OWNER (2 MONTHS) AND HAVE REALLY ENJOYED THE CLUBLEXUS SITE. HAPPY TO DONATE THE YEARLY FEE BUT DO NOT WANT TO DO IT THOUGH PAYPAL. HAVE E MAILED 2 TIMES TO SEE WHERE I CAN JUST SEND THE MONEY -WITHOUT A RESPONSE. ANYONE KNOW????