Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Post any comments, problems or questions related to the upgrade here please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-06, 12:08 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Doug,

Search is working fine, the forum has always worked that way. Our CL search is limited to items of three characters or greater except for those that I specify to be added to the index. I've added several general Lexus model terms (LS ES RX GS GS4 GS3) for example. I've not seen a compelling reason to take the time to add 'BMW' or other small model names (ex. x5, M3) to slow down our Lexus forum (as I expect bimmerforums hasn't added Lexus terms).

This is done to improve our forum performance by dramatically reducing the size of our search index. Smaller words take longer to search for as they are more common.
I see. Too bad the IS is such a common word that it cannot be added. And guess what won't be added if the rumor of a Lexus BS hatchback comes true.
Old 08-22-06, 01:24 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doug,

Search is working fine, the forum has always worked that way. Our CL search is limited to items of three characters or greater except for those that I specify to be added to the index. I've added several general Lexus model terms (LS ES RX GS GS4 GS3) for example. I've not seen a compelling reason to take the time to add 'BMW' or other small model names (ex. x5, M3) to slow down our Lexus forum (as I expect bimmerforums hasn't added Lexus terms).

This is done to improve our forum performance by dramatically reducing the size of our search index. Smaller words take longer to search for as they are more common.
Can you make ISP a searchable word. The wheel option for the IS.
Old 08-23-06, 08:17 AM
pvo
Lead Lap

I don't get email notifications when getting private messages or new posts to the threads I subscribe to.
Old 08-23-06, 09:20 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug,

But searching on "BMW X5" returns no results either?
Old 08-23-06, 09:26 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
but why are you even bothering to make a point about searching for BMW X5 on a lexus forum? you want bmw info check out blackredgold online id get the same slack if i went on there asking why my search on lexus gs400 isnt getting any hits bro come on!

take it easy
mike
Old 08-23-06, 09:34 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,366 Posts

BMW 3 letters

x5 2 letters

It's a word-by-word search index, not a combined phrase.... otherwise the search would dim the lights in the host facility and bring the forum to it's knees.
Old 08-23-06, 11:32 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW 3 letters

x5 2 letters

It's a word-by-word search index, not a combined phrase.... otherwise the search would dim the lights in the host facility and bring the forum to it's knees.
Wait, are you saying that it ignores quoted words? Most (Ok, all?) take anything in quotes and searches for that phrase - so in theory I'm searching for the six characters BMW X5.

Or does it remove the quotes? (which is kind of bad IMHO).

Yep, just checked, it breaks it out -very weird. A search for "car on fire" (with the quotes) returns posts that do not have that phrase. Bummer.
Old 08-23-06, 11:42 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Wait, are you saying that it ignores quoted words? Most (Ok, all?) take anything in quotes and searches for that phrase - so in theory I'm searching for the six characters BMW X5.

Or does it remove the quotes? (which is kind of bad IMHO).

Yep, just checked, it breaks it out -very weird. A search for "car on fire" (with the quotes) returns posts that do not have that phrase. Bummer.
Implementation of a quoted search feature is a very costly one. Most if not all forums allow only keyword searches because they are more easily index-able and the amount of data is more manageable and require a lot less processing power. Only advanced search engines from some big commercial websites can afford to create indices that include the relations of keywords.
Old 08-23-06, 11:51 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

By the way, one can actually use Google's site search feature to do searches not allowed by ClubLexus. For example, try searching this in Google:

"bmw x5" site:clublexus.com

Or simply click here.
Old 08-23-06, 01:05 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
By the way, one can actually use Google's site search feature to do searches not allowed by ClubLexus. For example, try searching this in Google:

"bmw x5" site:clublexus.com

Or simply click here.
thats a real nice point/find
Old 08-24-06, 02:03 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

BTW is the site icon going to be changed?

I'd like to see something like this that would match:
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-06, 02:37 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by enigma888
BTW is the site icon going to be changed?

I'd like to see something like this that would match:
Can you attach the image you made?
Old 08-24-06, 04:49 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

It's attached! By 'site icon' I simply meant those little tags that appear on the address bar and firefox tabs. The site look itself is great, and I like the CL logo alot. But the orange old interim logo still appears on the address bar and tabs.

Just to clarify!
Old 08-24-06, 05:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by enigma888
It's attached! By 'site icon' I simply meant those little tags that appear on the address bar and firefox tabs. The site look itself is great, and I like the CL logo alot. But the orange old interim logo still appears on the address bar and tabs.

Just to clarify!
Yep, I know exactly what you're talking about (but don't see the attachment anywhere... just the sample image you did)

Can make one, just thought I'd save a few steps.
Old 08-24-06, 06:01 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

How about this? I attached the little file as a .PNG. Can't attach .ico files though. It could be converted...
Attached Images  

Last edited by encore888; 08-24-06 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Post any comments, problems or questions related to the upgrade here please!