Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Don't you hate it when ppl come to this site just to pick brains and then leave?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-06, 11:46 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Don't you hate it when ppl come to this site just to pick brains and then leave?

Hey:

I don't know about you guys but I noticed that our site draws alot of freebee people who simply signup to ask a quextion about a car problem then get their responses and never post again and don't even say thanks?

For example, I've noticed that tons of people starting threads about things like "need help asap", "whats this part number?", "how can I fix a bumper scratch for cheap?" etc. alot of these posts are their very first post on the site. Then a few responses come in, the user never posts again and they don't even update us on whether or not they got the problem fixed and what it turned out to be. Not even a thanks. I know sites like this exist for people to share ideas and help eachother out but these people contribute NOTHING to our site. People are so patronizing when they need stuff done....
Old 09-10-06, 11:58 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done it in the past. Not everyone is enthusiastic about cars. I just wish if people come to do that, that they search for the answer instead of just asking the question as you mentioned. This is the ONLY car forum I visit regularly. I had to help a friend with her CRV and visited HondaSUV. For my girl's Rav4, I kinda go and visit Rav4world whenever I have a problem, but I've been a member for awhile and have contributed a bit. For my MB (no longer) I would ask questions about it here since I can't stand MBworld.
Old 09-10-06, 12:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
I've done it in the past. ...
Yes but hopefully if you get responses to your thread you at least say thanks or something?
Old 09-10-06, 12:56 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, I dont hate it. Be glad to help someone in need of help.
Old 09-11-06, 12:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm with STIG.
That's what we are here for......and one of the reasons why CAR CHAT and the Lexus model forums exist.......to share our knowledge with others. If some people are rude or unapprectative, that's life.
Old 09-11-06, 12:38 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

I don't mind if people don't say thanks, but am always curious to know what the final outcome was of what advice I gave.
Old 09-11-06, 12:49 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive done that for my dads friend who is somewhat computer illiterate. I dont mean to offend when i do it either.
Old 09-11-06, 12:53 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you got to remember that while we hang out here almost like some hang out at a bar, noteveryone is looking for the same sense of community.

I also visited a site this weekedn to get some technical informaiton for my wifes Lincoln LS. I didnt have to sign up since the search feature worked pretty well. But if I had to I would probably have just signed up got my information and then been in the wind.

I would of said thanks though.
Old 09-11-06, 01:54 PM
ic144
Driver

No one's perfect.
Old 09-11-06, 02:07 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,286 Likes on 1,392 Posts

I've got no problem with it either... we have an even larger number of folks with zero posts who browse our forum every day and never interact with others. I probably get 5 PMs a week from members with zero posts asking questions and I encourge them to post if I can't answer 'em. That's no issue too

I've made some changes lately to 'encourage' those who browse only to at least join the forum (the first step...) by disabling the search feature and some of the forums from view if you aren't logged in.
Old 09-11-06, 03:21 PM
VorghenRiz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I've got no problem with it either... we have an even larger number of folks with zero posts who browse our forum every day and never interact with others. I probably get 5 PMs a week from members with zero posts asking questions and I encourge them to post if I can't answer 'em. That's no issue too
Lol, that's almost like me. I've been a member since 2001, but don't have that many posts. I first joined when I purchased my '01 IS300 and later on an '02 RX300. Now and then I'll chime in, but I use CL primarily as a resource. In otherwords, I use "Search" a lot. Regardless, I still think CL is one of the better boards/communities out there with members being pretty helpful and willing to answer questions rather than just telling people to search all the time. And that's what I see as the purpose and intent of these message boards (or internet in general), which is to share information. Anyhow, I'm too much of a car nut to be in just one community though, and having owned multiple makes (Acura, Audi, BMW, Lexus, Toyota) I'm all over the place. But I do know how to say "Thank You" when someone helps me out
Old 09-11-06, 03:51 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

I see what you mean, but it really doesnt bother me. Either way there is bound to be more peope that are interested in knowing the same answer, and will gain knowledge from the thread started, for immediate/future reference.
Even better if you know the answer, to pass along the info, who knows how many people will read what you wrote, will save time/money/gain knowledge and get something done right, all thanks to you, this is the reason I post responses.
Old 09-11-06, 05:19 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much HP does an SRT intake make?

thanx and ill hang up and listen
Old 09-11-06, 08:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yes but hopefully if you get responses to your thread you at least say thanks or something?
I also don't really mind but I would like to see a "thanks" or "apprciate it" in return.

Its the internet, this will ALWAYS happen!
Old 09-14-06, 07:30 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I appreciate you guys' comments. THis site is indeed a very friendly site. I guess it states something about Lexus customers. Lets hope now that those that post just to ask a question give us at least an update on what happened for the record in case someone else has the problem. Otherwise, its basically pointless if we don't know whether or not the problem was solved and how.