Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Internet Brands Annoucement - more details coming soon!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 10:25 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default Internet Brands Annoucement - more details coming soon!

Folks I've moved one post where a member rushed to post negative comments about some site news that is coming shortly from Ethan. We'll be putting up annoucments soon about what the news releases mean to CL.

Please hang tight for a few hours and we'll get all our questions answered. If you have questions you would like to have covered in a Q&A or FAQ please PM them to me directly.

I've pasted in the news clips from the previous post.

July 20, 2007]
Internet Brands, Inc. Files Registration Statement for Proposed Initial Public Offering

LOS ANGELES --(Business Wire)-- Internet Brands, Inc. today announced that it has filed a registration statement on Form S-1 with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission relating to the proposed initial public offering of its Class A common stock. The offered shares will be sold by Internet Brands and certain of its stockholders. Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC will act as sole book-running manager for the offering. In addition, Thomas Weisel Partners LLC will serve as an underwriter for the offering. The number of shares to be offered and the price range for the offering have not yet been determined. Copies of the preliminary prospectus for the offering, when available, may be obtained from Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC, Prospectus Department, One Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10010, telephone 800-221-1037. A registration statement relating to these securities has been filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission but has not yet become effective. These securities may not be sold nor may offers to buy be accepted prior to the time that the registration statement becomes effective.

Internet Brands Acquires Several Car Forums
Submitted by Doug Caverly on Thu, 07/19/2007 - 16:09.

Cars, cars, cars - I like ‘em, and it would seem that Internet Brands does, as well. The company, which already owned sites like Autos.com and CarsDirect, has now bought at least eight popular automotive forums.

Credit goes to alarm:clock for this discovery. “We do not know yet how much Internet Brands paid, however, the sites appear to be run by smaller companies,” the a:c article states. It then lists a handful of properties that have been sold: Corvetteforum, LS1Tech, PerformanceTrucks.net, ModMotorTech, Ford-trucks, Audiworld.com, Mustangforum.com, and ModernHemi.com.

Before today, I’d never visited any of those forums, but I’d heard of several - they are big, big players in the online auto field. “Corvette Forum claims over 110K registered members, FordTrucks claims 400K registered users and 1M+ uniques per month,” alarm:clock notes. A sampling of Corvette Forum activity: an acquisition-related post that was made at 9 AM today has already gotten 123 replies and over 2,000 views.

So when a:c writes, “The owner of one of the sites . . . argues that while discussion forums may seem like old tech he firmly believes that they are the most powerful of social networking sites,” I’m somewhat inclined to agree with that owner; I know I’d give up on MySpace long before turning my back on MatrixOwners.

A corporate perspective on all this is missing - Internet Brands has yet to issue an official press release on the matter - but you can get a sense of it by looking at letters from Troy Roberts and Jason Teller (big names on the Corvette and Audi sites, respectively). The letters are nearly identical, and they both state that there are no planned changes other than a move to faster servers.

If Internet Brands can sustain this hands-off approach, then this is a very positive development for all its new car forums. The “leading operator of media and e-commerce sites” won’t exactly suffer, either - these acquisitions should bring a lot of traffic its way.
Old 07-25-07, 09:37 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any new news yet? Some people across the internet are taking this badly - but there's really nothing bad about it. I could see if Toyota bought the site - but Internet Brands is a good company. They've actually owned a few forums (somewhat smaller) and haven't changed anything about how they're run. From the user standpoint, this will be very good.
Old 07-25-07, 12:21 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Thanks Sal, we're working on it! The news release I quoted above was actually accidently released a couple of weeks early so the timing for planned communications were really thrown off. I posted the info above to acknowledge the press release and allow Ethan to follow the communication path he had planned.

We're working with the moderator and back office team now and personally notifying the vendors. Then we'll do a broader forum-wide annoucement by weeks end at the latest with FAQs and will have folks prepared to respond to any Q&A members might have.

As I'm sure you know I'm very protective of Club Lexus and our community and the moderator team and I have asked a lot of questions which we'll share. I think your statment 'this will be very good' is on point if everything goes as promised.

More coming, thank all of you for your patience.