Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Any Practical Limit to What CL's Storage Capacity Can Hold?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-07, 07:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Any Practical Limit to What CL's Storage Capacity Can Hold?

Just out of curiosity (and I know there have been several software updates just since I have been with CL), is there any practical limit to the amount of information or data that CL's electronic storage can hold?

I ask because it is becoming obvious that CL has vastly grown since I joined in 2003, with some 65,000-plus members now (Dave can probably tell us the exact number ) That's a lot of people to be feeding posts and files into the system every day, and then you have things like me giving those long auto reviews, RON430 giving long, detailed posts on various subjects, Lil4x with his long and superb answers in the Debate threads, and other very long posts. Then, of course, if you quote someone in entirety, as many do, and then type an answer to it, it can double the amount of file space consumed just on one topic.

So...in a nutshell......does CL have the capacity for us to continue our free-wheeling posting ways for some time, even with 65-70K members, or are we all soon going to end up trying to pour too much data into a limited storage space, leading to maybe limits on post numbers and content?

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-27-07 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-27-07, 11:37 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

That's what archives are for.
Old 08-28-07, 06:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
That's what archives are for.
Basically, that's what I was getting at. With the huge amount of data already in them, are we OK for the time being, or are they near capacity?
Old 08-28-07, 10:29 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,337 Likes on 1,423 Posts

We're fine for now. I don't know what we'll see when we migrate to the IB servers but I expect their DASD is much greater than what we currently have.

Storage is relatively cheap... and text takes only a miniscule amount of memory to store. What becomes an issue is the processing and access time because of all the data (searches take longer, etc).
At some point we may more aggressively use the archive forum feature but that's not currently planned.
Old 08-29-07, 01:45 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a suggestion:

If we were to delete the threads created asking the same questions over and over that would free up about 2/3's of the servers