Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Issues with TM Engineering (no longer an approved CL vendor) - merged threads

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-08, 10:55 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the kind words everyone. lots of PM's from people I havne't heard from in a while... but here's my story on the first post

Last edited by AutoCoutureSC; 10-16-08 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-16-08, 10:56 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC400Dude
I hope everything works out for you Lee. It's very sad to hear about your departure here...simply because I've been contemplating the same thing lately...I must not give in though...

If you ever need anything bro, just give me a shout
remember when you met me up at TM that one time to pick up the exhaust? yes, it's been there that long
Old 10-16-08, 11:10 PM
FiSta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow sorry to hear that Lee...I would be angry too esp after the countless times you backed him up. Knew you had a lot up your sleeves and I always wanted to see your car. this truly sucks
Old 10-16-08, 11:13 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

If Todd over at TM engineering hasn't finished your car and it has been over a year and hasn't made any effort to refund your money, Ever thought about filing a lawsuit against him to get it back and recover the cost of your car and mods? I understand that this may cause a broken friendship between the both of you, But what kind of supposedly good business would do that to a longtime patron? That part I just can't comprehend.

Those guys at TM Engineering seem kind of shady now...I can almost guarantee that they will definitely not have my business anytime soon (Based on what you said about them) and is something I need to let all my SC friends know about... Those guys seriously need to be reported to the Better Business Bureau...Sorry to hear (Or in this case, "Read") about your situation, But perhaps things can be better in the future....Good luck!
Old 10-16-08, 11:32 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Lee

I actually visited Todd in April as he was a friend of a good friend of mine. I had heard some good things about Todd from my buddy and wanted to check out the operation. Todd was kind enough to show me around the shop, both sides of it.

I saw your car there. I saw the damage that you speak of and the aftermath of what happened, broken glass, broken center console and stolen radio. Todd did not speak much about it except that some vandalism occurred and somebody stole your radio.

I also saw what Todd was doing to your car with respect to modification. Pretty slick.

When I returned to AZ, my buddy here had talked to Todd and Todd told him that "it didn't seem like Steve was impressed at all." I wasn't. I have this uncanny knack of reading people the instant I shake their hand and they open their mouth. I could read Todd like a book and it wasn't a good feeling. I instantly told my buddy how I felt about Todd and that he'd never touch my car. I also saw that cluster-***** GS. He mentioned something about the guy running out of money and he working on it for free at that point.

So in closing, I can agree with the attitudes towards Todd and TM Engineering in this thread and I never paid a dime to the guy. Honestly, I think he's a *****ing idiot and way over his head.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do next.
Old 10-16-08, 11:46 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, Lee, I have been known you on here since I first bought my car in 2004 or 2005 and this is the first time I have heard the full version (or atleast most of it) of the story. I am surprised that you gave him the benefit of the doubt for this long, especially when many others on here have started to complain about him.

One sad thing that I have noticed in this industry by observation on various car forums is that whenever someone - or a very small group of members - express their dissatisfaction with a shop that is beloved by the majority of the forums, they get backlashed and all of the fanboys rush to the shop's support.

I have dealt with Todd on a couple of occasions through the recommendations and praising of his skills by senior members here and my experiences have been good other than poor communications when you need to get a hold of him. I paid him cash up front upon receiving parts such as my coilovers, brakelines, bushings, and upon the completion of a control arm job. Given that they are quick upfront face to face transactions, I guess that such good testimonials should not have much bearing as compared to long term projects or parts that have to be shipped out.

One that I have always wondered is that if he is so highly esteemed for his skills and knowledge on this forum by many of the veteran members on here, why don't we ever see a full blown project car completed by him like other renowned shops like SP Engineering or Autofashion? Maybe it is me that is missing something.

Second, though we all know that many of the businesses in this industry operate more like a non-profit hobby shop than a income generating cash-cow, how does TM survive when he is never even there???

Just a lot of unanswered questions.

Last edited by xknowonex; 10-17-08 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-17-08, 12:22 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn the idea of what/who was behind this actually crossed my mind. I remember seeing the broken window of an SC and didn't even know it was yours until I mentioned it in a thread. Sad to find out that it is true. I always thought your car was just stored there for parts or something. Never knew it was supposed to be worked on. I've been to TM twice and both times were pretty good experiences. Not sure if I'll be visiting them anymore after reading this.
Old 10-17-08, 12:30 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I KNEW IT!!! From the moment I saw your car in the front and the moment no one answered the door, I knew TM wasn't a pleasant place to deal with.

It sucks that TM is still backed by fanboys because honestly, he has a horrible reputation among many members here. I try to get people to avoid TM but they never listen

Why the heck is TM still a vendor on this forum? NO communication from them at all...CL does not deserve this kind of vendor!!
Old 10-17-08, 12:39 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
I KNEW IT!!! From the moment I saw your car in the front and the moment no one answered the door, I knew TM wasn't a pleasant place to deal with.

It sucks that TM is still backed by fanboys because honestly, he has a horrible reputation among many members here. I try to get people to avoid TM but they never listen

Why the heck is TM still a vendor on this forum? NO communication from them at all...CL does not deserve this kind of vendor!!
This whole fanboyism with a shop is completely out of control in some instances. I don't know if the problem is that bad within the ClubLexus community as compared with other communities. For example, though I am not going to mention the name of the shop, but there is a well known shop here locally that his patronized by the members of the Supraforums and vouched heavily by reputable members despite doing Mickey Mouse jobs. Needless to say, people still flock over there like herds despite the similar horror stories
Old 10-17-08, 01:33 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Wow that is horrible. Sorry to hear that man. That is just ridiculous. I hope everything works out.
Old 10-17-08, 06:41 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

The truth is out. I tried to warn people about this guy. I think he gets too much credit then he truly deserved. He is way over rated in here. He never answer he phone, email or fax. What type of customer service is he offering? I have another friend also named LEE (a white guy with a LS400) and he told me some horrible stories too. I remember I first met him (not really meeting him) about 8 years ago. We were in a mini meet at around 7-8 pm. I saw a guy just sat in Lee's car (whiteboy Lee that is) for over 2-3 hours while others were chatting about cars. After few weeks I asked Lee who was the guy in the car that night and didnt come out and socialize with the group. He told me it was Todd from TM. Lee told me Todd said "I am too good for them to meet me" After I found I was extremely upset. Not only me but the rest of the CL members there that night. The Socal Triad would not touch or deal with him with a 10 foot pole.

Lee I know I was slight upset with you from our last transaction. I am over with it now. We have mutual friends and so I am cool with it. If I am you, I would take him to Small Claim court if he doesnt refund your money. The max amount on a Small Claim is $5,000 but you can do multiple claims. I am not suggesting or encourage you to do that but if I paid my money and deadline were long gone, I would definately seeking legal actions.

Don't get mad or sad. Let the legal system work for you. I have filed many small claims against health insurance companies and I have no problem winning.

Good luck....

Last edited by Lextreme; 10-18-08 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-17-08, 09:07 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by shern
Hey Lee

I actually visited Todd in April as he was a friend of a good friend of mine. I had heard some good things about Todd from my buddy and wanted to check out the operation. Todd was kind enough to show me around the shop, both sides of it.

I saw your car there. I saw the damage that you speak of and the aftermath of what happened, broken glass, broken center console and stolen radio. Todd did not speak much about it except that some vandalism occurred and somebody stole your radio.

I also saw what Todd was doing to your car with respect to modification. Pretty slick.

When I returned to AZ, my buddy here had talked to Todd and Todd told him that "it didn't seem like Steve was impressed at all." I wasn't. I have this uncanny knack of reading people the instant I shake their hand and they open their mouth. I could read Todd like a book and it wasn't a good feeling. I instantly told my buddy how I felt about Todd and that he'd never touch my car. I also saw that cluster-***** GS. He mentioned something about the guy running out of money and he working on it for free at that point.

So in closing, I can agree with the attitudes towards Todd and TM Engineering in this thread and I never paid a dime to the guy. Honestly, I think he's a *****ing idiot and way over his head.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do next.
Wow,
So true...I'm not one to say anything, but given the situation in the matter, I'll go ahead and speak...

When I picked up the exhaust from Lee, I actually stopped by TM's shop to get it. I was expecting only to see Lee, but found myself stumbling across Todd as well. I thought he didn't give a rats azz when he shook my hand. It seemed like he was just over it. I didn't think he even glanced at me. That kind of vibe had me worried. Here I am in his shop, kinda excited to meet him, and this is how he acts??? Granted he was working, but at least acknowledge another CL member...WoW
A worker at TM(forgot his name...) was real cool though. We talked about fishing for like 20 minutes...

Again,
I never said a thing because that's just my nature...but I guess I can now share it with you guys since it's only appropriate.

Originally Posted by AutoCoutureSC
remember when you met me up at TM that one time to pick up the exhaust? yes, it's been there that long
I can see why you're saying goodbye...I would be turned off too if someone had my car for almost 2 years. Nothing is worse to an SC owner than the anticipation of his/her car while in the shop awaiting completion, especially given the amount of effort/time/money spent. I have a feeling that you wanted to unveil your car months ago, but this lag in time just killed it for you. There's no sense of worth in a project like this anymore based on this. I don't even want to fathom at the thought of what you're going to do next. I understand that you gave Todd the opportunity to work on your car, but if he can't keep up his end of the bargain, then it's obviously time to move on despite your friendship with him.

On another note, would you consider continuing your project? Just get your SC back and find some one who will finish it dude. Don't get discouraged man...you have plenty of support here.

Again, let me know if you ever need anything man...
Old 10-17-08, 09:08 AM
shern
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Second, though we all know that many of the businesses in this industry operate more like a non-profit hobby shop than a income generating cash-cow, how does TM survive when he is never even there???
It is my understanding that Todd has a stake in Daizen and essentially makes profits from Daizen.
Old 10-17-08, 09:28 AM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

this may be a dumb question but cant you just get your car back from them and take it to a more reputable shop??? and then file a small claims against them.
Old 10-17-08, 09:58 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by thaimonkee
this may be a dumb question but cant you just get your car back from them and take it to a more reputable shop??? and then file a small claims against them.
Yea. I am pretty sure there are many shops out there that can do the work.

Quick Reply: Issues with TM Engineering (no longer an approved CL vendor) - merged threads