Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

a story of: a lexus 2is front air dam, sewell lexus, and fedex... (resolved)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-08, 12:46 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default a story of: a lexus 2is front air dam, sewell lexus, and fedex... (resolved)

(mods, please move this to the proper sub-forum if it doesn't belong here...)

before reading this, please note that i am NOT bashing sewell lexus. as a matter of fact, i have nothing but praise for them for offering a great deal on the 2is gfx stuff. however, i'd like to open this issue to the court of public opinion here in the clublexus forums to find out whether this was something that could have been avoided or not...

btw, this IS long, so sit back, grab something to eat and/or drink, and read on.

--

last thursday (6/26/08), i place an order for the lexus front air dam for my 2is. e-mail confirmation comes in, and i'm stoked. i've wanted this for the longest time, and i can finally get it at a great price. i'm not thrilled about paying almost $50 for shipping, but i figure it's coming from texas to cali, so what the hey. anyway, with the confirmation email in my inbox, i play the "wait for a tracking number e-mail" game.

friday comes and goes, no e-mail. weekend comes and goes, no e-mail.

so monday morning, at 9:13 AM PST, i post this:

Originally Posted by projectdna
in for front lip. can't wait.

placed my order last week and got an e-mail confirmation. has it shipped yet? can i get a tracking number?
hour and a half later, regan @ sewell lexus posts this:

Originally Posted by Lexus-Parts
I would be more than happy to assist you with this. However, I will need an order number, or some way of identifying your order.

-Regan
so i send a reply to that post an hour and a half later:

here you go.

42812-LX

drop me a PM when you find out. thanks in advance.
at 12:42 pm PST, i get a PM from regan @ sewell lexus w/ the tracking number.

at 2:18 pm, i enter the tracking number. the fedex website kicks back this message:

"No information for the following shipments/FedEx Kinko's orders has been received by our system yet. Please try again later or contact Customer Service."
at 2:40 pm, regan @ sewell lexus responds that the tracking number works. i try around 4-ish, and indeed it does.

--

so at this point, i made my purchase thursday (6/26/08) afternoon, and they didn't ship it until monday (6/30/08) afternoon. understood, they are in texas, and i'm in california; that's a two-hour time differential. however, they had the entire friday to process/ship the order. i figured they were probably busy or something, but i was eager to get my front air dam more than anything else, so i don't bother asking any more questions.

oh, and the fedex website says that the front air dam would be shipped on thursday, july 3. it wouldn't matter so much to me, since i'll be at work, but at least the package will be there to welcome me when i get home.

or so i thought...

--

tuesday, 7/1/08. in transit. and i wait.

wednesday, 7/2/08. in transit. and i wait.

thursday, 7/3/08. THE day. so i get to work, and i notice i've got a voicemail on my cell phone. someone probably left it while i was driving, and i didn't notice it until i get to work. anyway, i check it, and it's the fedex station. apparently, the front air dam is undeliverable because it doesn't have a delivery address. huh? what? how the heck? no address? how could that be? so i call the station back. voicemail. i leave one. no return call.

i get antsy, and then i call the 800 number (800-gofedex) and i tell them the situation. they take my address down, and then tell me that they won't be able to deliver the front air dam until monday, since all the trucks are out and none are neither available nor nearby to pick up my front air dam and drop it off at my doorstep. i'm thinking, MONDAY. none too pleased, i told them that i'll pick up the product.

my next call was to regan @ sewell lexus. i explained to her what happened, and she said that "everything that we send out has an address label on it." having worked in an office that uses fedex quite a bit, it's pretty obvious that if you need to send something by fedex, they need an address to deliver it (duh, right?). i civilly ask regan to call fedex to find out what happened, and to email me when she finds out.

i step out of the office to attend a two-hour pow-wow with suppliers, and i come back around one. i check my email, and this is what she wrote:

I have spoken with FedEx and they will deliver this item to you on Monday. You will not need to pick the item up.
monday? MONDAY? i could've gotten that from fedex myself. not only that, but there is no explanation as to why there was no address on the package. but unfortunately i have an installer lined up on saturday as a favor for me. monday won't work, so i call regan back. again, i civilly explain to her that due to my circumstances i'll have to call fedex myself and get my front air dam delivered to my doorstep thursday. she takes a slightly more defensive stance and lets me know that "everything we send out has delivery addresses on them." good to know, or so i thought...

so i call the 800 number again. i speak to an operator, explain to her my situation, and she patches me to the station supervisor. after a couple of minutes explaining my situation, he tells me that the earliest they can deliver it is monday (7/7/08). i tell them that i don't work anywhere near the station, and that i would have to take time off from work to pick up the package, not to mention how much gas i have to burn to trek halfway across town to pick up a package that i paid to be dropped off at my doorstep. furthermore, it is not my responsibility that my package doesn't have an address label on it. station manager says he'll call back and let me know.

station manager calls back half hour later. can't do it, no trucks available. monday morning. i gave him the same story, and he says there's nothing more he can do for me. i request to speak to his manager and go through the same shpiel. he gives me the same answer: can't do it, no trucks available. i tell him it's not my responsibility that my package doesn't have an address label on it. he says either i wait until monday, or i go there and pick it up myself. i'm irate now, since i can't get past the cost of me having to take time off work and driving there to pick up a package that i paid to have delivered to my doorstep.

without much of a choice, i take time off work to drive halfway across town at two in the afternoon to pick up my package (that i paid good money for to get dropped off at my doorstep). i get to the fedex station, walk in, and lo-and-behold my package is there. i inspect it, sign for it, and carry it off with me. as i'm loading it into my 2is, i notice something on the shipping label (yes, it is there)...

THERE IS NO ADDRESS ON THE SHIPPING LABEL.

actually, where my address as the destination should be, my name is there instead (for privacy reasons, i am not going to put up a pic of the shipping label).

---

two things i'd like to point out:

1. sewell lexus did not ship out the part until monday (6/30), even though i placed my order thursday (6/26) afternoon.

2. sewell lexus did not put my address on the shipping label, thus causing...

a. unnecessary phone time w/ fedex to get them to deliver a package to me when they weren't responsible for the error.
b. me to take time off work and gas to drive halfway across town to pick up my package.

this all could have been avoided had sewell lexus put my shipping address on the shipping label.

so was this their error? in my opinion, yes.

but as much as i'd like to request some type of compensation from them, i'd like to hear an explanation and what they intend to do to compensate for my time off from work and driving halfway across town to pick up my front air dam.

again, i'm not here to bash sewell lexus. i've bought other items from them before, and i've never had an issue with them shipping my orders to me. also, the 2is gfx parts sale is still going on, and i think that anyone looking to get a great deal on those parts should really get in on it.

but i'm going to give sewell lexus a chance to come into this thread, provide a full explanation as to what happened, and to provide some type of compensation for what i had to go through.
Old 07-04-08, 12:52 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How the heck can they ship out without a address?! This isn't the first time I heard stories of Sewell Lexus. But not every single place is perfect.

At least you got the goods Jason.
Old 07-04-08, 12:54 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lol... patience my friend i've been waiting much much much longer for certain parts to come from japan to 'finish' my car... well 'finish' untill i order more parts that is
Old 07-04-08, 01:09 AM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad it worked out for you in the end but How did they call you and know its your package if it had no address? And ***** happens thats life for yah, anyways fedex sucks with delivery. They claimed they couldnt find my house when i was expecting my floor mats from sewell and when i called them they said they would attempt a delivery in 2 hours. i waited outside like the whole day and nobody showed up at all. I checked online and the tracking stated they couldnt the house again. I dont know if they're retards or just lazy

Btw: my brother works for fedex, so that says a lot...
Old 07-04-08, 01:26 AM
meefer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We all have shipping horror stories. My HP desktop was held up for 3 solid business days after the estimated delivery date because and I quote "The driver was too busy to deliver your package and there is nothing FedEx can do about it." All my information was correct, they were just "too busy."

I can think of one thing - hire more drivers! I guess next time I'll be too busy to consider using FedEx =)
Old 07-04-08, 01:50 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that sucks im out here in cali also ... and i got mine real quick.. i got the tracking number after i alrdy received my front lip. took 3-4days
Old 07-04-08, 01:59 AM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

it took me 2.5 weeks to get my order. patience
Old 07-04-08, 02:27 AM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

I'm not a fan of FedEx and shipping in general as I had a situation like yours as well since the shipper forgot to put my apartment number down hence the guy couldn't deliver my package. Like you, I ended up driving 30 miles round trip just to pick up a t-shirt because I didn't want to wait over the weekend and have the FedEx guy being too "busy" to deliver again on Monday.

As for compensation from Sewell, it seems justified due to the mistake in not writing your address which lead to more confusion and FedEx not catching it when they are preparing to ship it. That's why sometimes I really hesitate to buy high price items that require shipping because it can be frustrating, especially when you're looking forward to just unwrap the package...
Old 07-04-08, 03:52 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They still haven't shipped my pry tool from 4 months ago. They said it was back ordered. So i waited.. It's cheap and i'm not in need of it, but if they do business like this i wouldn't want business from them again.
Old 07-04-08, 04:17 AM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

It just sucks when you don't get a tracking number and then your fed lies, I feel you pain!!!!
Old 07-04-08, 05:00 AM
CAIFAN_64
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I think is both their fault!! one question tough, if the package doesnt have address how the hell made it all the way to cali??? Ii was sewells fault for NOt putting and address ,and it was FeDex fault for not checking the package for address
Old 07-04-08, 05:30 AM
golfproatl
Pole Position

but i'm going to give sewell lexus a chance to come into this thread, provide a full explanation as to what happened, and to provide some type of compensation for what i had to go through.
Dude, someone made a dumb mistake with the shipping label. I would be very suprised if Sewell gives you any type of "compensation". You are still going to get the part 10 days after you ordered it. Chill. I got mine 3 weeks ago and it is still in the box!
Old 07-04-08, 05:50 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

i dunno man . . . i ordered stuff from japan 4 months ago. i got one thing so far . . . Fed Ex and UPS love to play soccer with some of the stuff. you should see how my friend got his custom computer delivered.
Old 07-04-08, 06:12 AM
dw8787
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually own a shipping store and unless Sewell does something completely out of the ordinary the systems will not generate a label or tracking number unless all the address information is entered. Like other posters have stated, how did it make it to Texas and to the right FedEx hub for that matter unless they had your address throughout the majority of the trip. What happens is the label gets dirty or damaged along they way and the carrier is unable to read the bar code or the actual information. So they get what they can and re-label it, then try and make contact with the sender or receiver. I haven't ordered from Sewell but I have to take their side on this one, at least about the shipping label. Either way that sucks when you get all excited about it being there only to find out it won't be. Hopefully you will get it put on this weekend and post some pics for us all to see. Sorry to hear about the trouble, but glad you got it now.
Old 07-04-08, 06:21 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dw8787
I actually own a shipping store and unless Sewell does something completely out of the ordinary the systems will not generate a label or tracking number unless all the address information is entered. Like other posters have stated, how did it make it to Texas and to the right FedEx hub for that matter unless they had your address throughout the majority of the trip. What happens is the label gets dirty or damaged along they way and the carrier is unable to read the bar code or the actual information. So they get what they can and re-label it, then try and make contact with the sender or receiver.
Ah, the voice of reason. There's no way the package could have made it as far as it did without an address. This is Fed Ex's problem, not Sewell's.

Agreed that this was inconvenient, but at least they didn't lose or damage the package. This was human error.

Quick Reply: a story of: a lexus 2is front air dam, sewell lexus, and fedex... (resolved)