Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

There is too much quoting on these forums.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-02, 11:00 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs down There is too much quoting on these forums.....

In the overall scheme of things, I'm admitting up front that this is one minor, petty gripe, but I just have to point out that the "reply with quote" option is WAY over-used.

Can anyone tell me the point of quoting the entire text of something that was JUST POSTED? If you are replying to something that was just posted, your reply will be right below it! And now future readers have to read the same post TWICE?
Gimme a break!

OK, I've vented. I feel better now. Not much that can be done about it, unless vBulletin can display a pop up message when the "reply with quote" option is selected, advising the user to go easy with the quotes. Or even better- remove the "reply with quote" option altogether- let 'em copy and paste, if they are so hell-bent on repetition!
Old 06-06-02, 03:11 PM
Static911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perry,

Breathe man, breathe!

It is quite a useful feature because sometimes (ok, most times), the conversation is going in different directions. Therefore, when you try to reply, you want to let people viewing the thread know WHAT idea and to WHO you are trying to respond back to.

Ethan
Old 06-06-02, 04:31 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Default <huff!> <puff!> <huff!> <puff!> <huff!> <puff!>

Originally posted by Static911
Perry,

Breathe man, breathe!

It is quite a useful feature because sometimes (ok, most times), the conversation is going in different directions. Therefore, when you try to reply, you want to let people viewing the thread know WHAT idea and to WHO you are trying to respond back to.

Ethan
OK, Ethan, now that happy hour is here on the west coast, I am in a better mood.

And I of course understand your point- that is exactly what the quote button is for. What I am pointing out is this penchant some have for responding to the last post in a thread by quoting that whole post in their response- what the hell is the point of THAT? Their response is gonna be right under the very post they are quoting!

Just to show you how moronic it looks, I've quoted your post in my response. So, to everyone else who is reading this thread: Did you enjoy having to read his post twice? In a row? Of course, there is hardly a need to demonstrate this here because you can open up any thread with more than 10 replies and the chances are better than not that someone has done the very same thing in the thread.

In fact, that's my new suggestion for vBulletin- the admin should have to option of disabling the "reply with quote" button on the current last post in the thread.

In fact, as you pointed out, I need a vacation- let's go to the vBulletin's User Conference in Orlando so I can suggest that during the break-out sessions.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 06-07-02 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-06-02, 07:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,660 Posts

From the book "Management of the absurd": It's not a question of WHETHER people are complaining, it's a question of the QUALITY of what they're complaining about.

In the big picture, complaining about quoting a post right under the same post falls into the category of 'noise'.

Enjoy the vacation.

Old 06-06-02, 09:46 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is funny , lol . Why would you read the quote ? I just skip the quotes and read the replies . The quotes are very easily ignored if you try too .
Old 06-07-02, 07:01 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Default I'll let you have the last word on this, bitkahuna, if you want it....

...but since you're such a fan of reading, I don't understand why you didn't pick up my "[admission] up front that this is one minor... gripe".

I mean, it was the very first sentence of my post!

I have not read that book you quoted, but I'd bet the author would agree with me that, in the big picture, pointing out that my complaint is minor, when I already did so in the first place falls into the category of 'redundant'.

And 1niceride - you are right that it is easily ignored, but I'd rather not have to do so in the first place.
Old 06-07-02, 07:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Hehe - you're right. It wasn't really a jab... I guess I just liked that quote from that book... I use it a lot at work when people complain about trivial things.
Old 06-09-02, 05:23 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like the quotes. I find it helps me know what the person is talking about because when i dont check the forums for a whole day or a couple of days and come back to all these replies in one thread, its hard to tell what peoplea re talking about sometimes... either that or im on crack