Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

The Nationwide ads on CL are highly annoying... any way to stop it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-10, 11:56 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation The Nationwide ads on CL are highly annoying... any way to stop it?

First off, their World's Greatest Spokesperson in the World campaign is about the dumbest I've seen. Now though, the ad appearing on CL is even more annoying. I can assure you, I'll never give any of my business to a company whose sole ad purpose is to annoy...

Anyone else frustrated w/ this ad which usually blocks part or most of the lead (typically the most important ) post in a thread? Make it stop!!! Seems to have increased in frequency and today appeared on 70% or more of the threads I opened. I can't find a 'close' or X like most other pop-over ads...

Here's what I'm talking about in case the bots don't let you have the pleasure of it blocking your views...

Old 08-19-10, 12:26 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I surf here everyday and have never seen one of these page blocking popups. Maybe you have malware on your computer. I do use Mac OSX, maybe that's why I don't get these. I do get the standard ads on the right frame.
Old 08-19-10, 12:31 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I had another member report an issue with that ad yesterday as well, but I have not seen it show up personally.

It clearly is an error and not intended to show up there... we don't have pop up ads here on CL.

What browser and version are you using?
Old 08-19-10, 12:39 PM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, there are ways to get rid of this stuff in general, but I'm sure it's against the rules or at least bad form to educate everybody on how to bypass their advertising.
Old 08-19-10, 12:46 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

It's not a pop up ad but a banner ad running vertical not horizontal. It's been around for a while but only randomly showed up until today when it's hitting like 80% of my page views.

I get it regardless of browser used. Most often I use SRWare's Iron but I tried it in Firefox 3.6.8 and IE8 with same results...

Did a quick google search and found some other forums are reporting it too.

Thanks for looking into it...
Old 08-19-10, 12:55 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never seen one of these pop-ups. I use the safari browser to access CL on my mac, pc, ipad and iphone.

I highly recommend Safari. It's a superior browser in every regard.
Old 08-19-10, 12:56 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

It's probably some HTML error in the advertisement if its happening across other forums too.

Can you when you see it next, please right click on the ad and see if you can "copy the shortcut" for the ad or if it's an adobe Flash advertisement that doesn't allow it.

If it's flash, confirm that it resolves to the same link I posted below when you click on it.

http://worldsgreatestspokesperson.na...artid=00812CHE

That'll give me the info I need to get the advertisement pulled until its fixed.
Old 08-19-10, 01:07 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Well, it looks like the ad is designed that way.

Here's the link for the image:
http://s0.2mdn.net/viewad/2393011/NW...60x600_40k.jpg

and here's the url for the ad link:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/click;h=v8...nationwide.com

it's highly distracting!
Old 08-19-10, 01:08 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Oh and BurgBoxstr, one single post in the right place - the site suggestions forum - got an answer for you in very short order. Because you personally are annoyed by something doesn't mean you should annoy everyone else by spamming CL with comments about it. I merged all your posts from various forums here.

I very much appreciate you letting us know about the issue but spam will get you banned
Old 08-19-10, 01:17 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Hi Dave-

I deleted the multiple postings which you've since merged (thanks for doing so). Wasn't trying to spam anyone on CL and as you'll see, I posted it in 3 forums I visit / contribute to (GS.3, RX.2, GX.1) as I have one of each of those Lexii models Sorry about the multiples but I know each forum has different viewership. Finally found the site suggestions forum and posted it there as well. You guys do such a nice job running the forum that a) I had never needed to (look for) or visit it before and b) wasn't sure how often it was monitored.

Anyhow, thanks for looking into getting it fixed