Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

SC Photoshoot, Wheels, Whatever Else Secton

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-11, 06:27 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face SC Photoshoot, Wheels, Whatever Else Secton

Is there anyway we could add a images/photoshoot/name your color only SC/look at my baller new wheels that everyone already has seen a million times before/look at how low I got.

It's VERY hard to find information of use whenever you've got 90% of the first page alone being freaking RANDOM threads about whatever photoshoot or color of their sc only threads.

Anytime I've ever asked a LEGITIMATE question on here it gets knocked to the second page within five minutes because of all these retarded photoshoot threads.
Old 04-20-11, 06:59 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,286 Likes on 1,392 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion, will consider how we might do that but I think it would probably require more manpower to constantly move all the threads you don't like into another forum so the ones you do like stays on top than we can possibly muster. It's hard enough just getting suspension and engine related stuff put in the right spot (only happens ~50% of the time).

The main forum sections for each model have 'trends' of thread types and sometimes they are more technical and sometimes they are showoff threads. Right now it looks about 50 / 50 reviewing the main SC forum threads.

Originally Posted by TechGreek
It's VERY hard to find information of use whenever you've got 90% of the first page alone being freaking RANDOM threads about whatever photoshoot or color of their sc only threads.
If you're having difficulty finding information, definitely suggest you stop looking manually through the pages of the forums and use the search feature. I understand other member's active threads might push yours down the page, but that's the nature of forums.
Old 04-20-11, 07:07 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

The search feature is absolutely useless 90% of the time for me. If I search for door lock actuators and it comes up with someone's wheel thread because they mentioned LOCK once in there.

I know vB 3.7.x had issues with search. Is there any reason why we haven't upgraded to the newest revision (4.x)?

I would be more than happy to volunteer my services and after running the one and only 9th Generation Galant forums I believe I'm more than qualified. If you guys ever need someone let me know.
Old 04-20-11, 07:18 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by TechGreek
The search feature is absolutely useless 90% of the time for me. If I search for door lock actuators and it comes up with someone's wheel thread because they mentioned LOCK once in there.

I know vB 3.7.x had issues with search. Is there any reason why we haven't upgraded to the newest revision (4.x)?

I would be more than happy to volunteer my services and after running the one and only 9th Generation Galant forums I believe I'm more than qualified. If you guys ever need someone let me know.
Yes, there are reasons why we haven't upgraded. The release we're on is the most stable version of vB and has the best performance for larger communities.

Search on this vB version works just fine if you qualify it correctly with expanded keywords, search in title only to narrow your search, etc. Sometimes your answer just isn't out there. I'm also assuming you looked at the door actuator threads linked in the DIY sticky thread.

I'm sure you know you can also use Google to specifically search CL with an even broader array of keywords and operators.

If you need help searching for something, PM me the question and I'll give it a shot.
Old 04-20-11, 07:34 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Yes, there are reasons why we haven't upgraded. The release we're on is the most stable version of vB and has the best performance for larger communities.
I haven't heard of anyone having any issues with the new release, but I haven't maintained any forums since it was out so I guess that's completely possible.

Search on this vB version works just fine if you qualify it correctly with expanded keywords, search in title only to narrow your search, etc. Sometimes your answer just isn't out there. I'm also assuming you looked at the door actuator threads linked in the DIY sticky thread.
That was just an example - but everytime I search for something on here it comes up with complete off the wall threads that have nothing to do with the subject at hand - some to blame the members for their crappy ways of naming threads and others just make no sense on results. I'm well aware and capable of searching on any other forum without a problem.

I'm sure you know you can also use Google to specifically search CL with an even broader array of keywords and operators.

If you need help searching for something, PM me the question and I'll give it a shot.
I'm sure Google would net results from the ENTIRE forum which would be even more pointless.

Like I said, I'll volunteer my services anytime you guys need it.

Good Luck
Old 04-20-11, 10:35 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thanks, appreciate the offer of help.

Still think you've got the exact opposite impression about using Google to search. You can really narrow the operands more tightly and exclude items that are showing up you don't want to include

Here's a decent primer http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/master-...god-save-time/

You can do a good bit of it easier via menus using their advanced search form http://www.google.com/advanced_search

Put in the CL forum (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/) as the site you want to search in, and also add sc300 sc400 as words you want to include (in addition to your primary keyword) which will narrow your results primarily to the sc forums. It'll string together the search for you:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22do...fe=images&tbs=

Once you mess around with it a bit, you'll find you can do a lot more detailed searches than you'll ever get with a native vB search on any version. If the answer exists and you know the keywords, you can find it.
Old 04-20-11, 10:37 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Thanks, appreciate the offer of help.

Still think you've got the exact opposite impression about using Google to search. You can really narrow the operands more tightly and exclude items that are showing up you don't want to include

Here's a decent primer http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/master-...god-save-time/

You can do a good bit of it easier via menus using their advanced search form http://www.google.com/advanced_search

Put in the CL forum (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/) as the site you want to search in, and also add sc300 sc400 as words you want to include (in addition to your primary keyword) which will narrow your results primarily to the sc forums. It'll string together the search for you:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22do...fe=images&tbs=

Once you mess around with it a bit, you'll find you can do a lot more detailed searches than you'll ever get with a native vB search on any version. If the answer exists and you know the keywords, you can find it.
I'm an IT Administrator and design websites all day that utilize SEO options, I'm quite aware of how the system works and how to manipulate it.
Old 04-20-11, 10:39 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Thanks, I'll stop trying to educate you then Just sounded like from some of your replies that you weren't taking advantage of the technology or didn't know how.

I guess you've got it well handled
Old 04-20-11, 10:48 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

I've always used Google over built in search functions but 90% of the time I'm on my phone, covered in grease, trying to resolve an issue quickly and it's clunky to use the search - but like I said, that's mainly due to people not tagging their threads / titling them appropriately.