Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

"not permitted to post comments" on Pic Gallery???

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-02, 01:27 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "not permitted to post comments" on Pic Gallery???

This has just started happening to me today. I have attempted to reply to a couple of pics in the GS gallery and I get an error message back indicating I do not have permission to do so. Any help??

Thanks,
Eric
Old 09-09-02, 03:00 PM
Static911

We disabled it due to all the abuse lately (IE: flaming, etc)

Ethan
Old 09-10-02, 06:30 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

when will it be enabled? I will behave myself I promise
Old 09-11-02, 02:39 AM
1loudlex
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Unhappy yeah me too!!!

I dont thikn that it is fair for the rest of us.. People need feedback on there cars??

Adam..
Old 09-11-02, 03:06 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if someone needs to ask a question about the picture, then that person can PM the one who posted it. That is probably the best thing to do, because other than asking questions about the pictures, comments really serve not much purpose.
Old 09-12-02, 11:02 AM
1loudlex
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Cool True..

Yeah, that is true i guess.. Never thought of that.. Also saves time loading..
Thanx for the reply..

Adam " Lexist "
Old 09-16-02, 12:31 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,391 Posts

If this feature is never going to be opened up for use again, suggest removing it from the gallery pages, along with the old comments and ratings.

Perhaps put a "Private message for questions about this picture" statement on the page with a PM button to make it easy to ask the picture poster questions.

Just my opinion - leaving it out there as-is is like having a "trial version" of software and not being able to access all the features.
Old 09-17-02, 04:21 AM
mr who
Lead Lap

dude....cant take a little flaming or ***** talking? im not saying yeah flame on... but come on, some jackass flames and we all have to pay? this site is getting too G rated. we're all adults here. buck up campers!

if it wasnt for gs4will and all his knowledge, this site wouldnt efven be in my bookmarks. when i started coming here it was much better. more free. now its like freakin jail. oh well, good luck with your methods.
Old 09-17-02, 12:38 PM
Static911

Yeah, I can't stand flaming. It wastes ClubLexus bandwidth, ClubLexus disk space, wastes people's time, waste all the moderator's time because then we have to go around warning/banning, etc.

As for we are all adults? Are we? Sometimes, some people sure act like 16 year olds. Sure, some people may be 25 years old, but they sure like to act like 11, maybe 12 year old when they behind a keyboard. I'll even go as far as saying there are a few 40 year olds who try to act like they are 18 year olds. Typically, I define adults as those who can discuss in a civilized manner, even when disagree on opinions.

As for bucking up, that is why there is another Lexus forum designed for IS300 owners. Those who post on ClubLexus are 20-30 year old, but the majority of MEMBERS on ClubLexus (lurkers, members and guests) are 30-40 year old and married. They don't have time to put up with flaming and etc.

Also, do you need to flame to have fun? That is where I miss the pictures sometimes. I must be too young or too old (22 years old) to not understand why a site must have flaming to be a good site? Is it "fun" for the parties involved in the flaming? Or is it "fun" to read, like watching a soap opera?

My rule of thumb regarding posting on the Internet, if you have nothing good to contribute, then you should keep quiet and let the folks who know how to have a civilized discussion talk about the issue.

Funny you think ClubLexus is a jail. Well, the other 8,000+ members don't think so. It seems it is the younger crowd who like to speak their mind without any tact that find ClubLexus un-enjoyable. This isn't a personal playground. I try to offer good information and in doing so, weed out a bunch of crap so the search function works better, people find the information faster (don't you hate it when a good thread starts turning sour and future members ask the same question, but can't find the answer 'cuz the thread is 5 pages), etc.

Ethan

Last edited by Static911; 09-17-02 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-17-02, 07:33 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Ethan, I think people would like to express some sort of approval/disapproval about photos in the gallery. Though I agree that the flaming does get out of hand (I, myself, try to flame tactfully ), expressing approval/disapproval in itself is a good thing. How many times a day do you read, "You own a Lexus, fix it up right," or some sort of equivalent statement? These statements are meant to further your objective of offering good information: to educate those who cannot discern between quality vs. ricer mods.

OK, so maybe flaming doesn't always serve the noble objective of education -- it's still fun sometimes (or at least funny). But, to get back to your point, I agree it must be a pain to be the one who must moderate.

So how about this as an alternative:

Split the gallery of each model into two sections:

1) The top half of the gallery just as it is now, as most recently posted. Make it possible to look at pictures in this order, just as it was in the past.

2) Allow numerical ratings 1-5 as before, and allow registered users the ability to vote only once on each picture. The pictures with the highest ratings/most votes are then pictured in order in the second half of the gallery, like an all time best gallery.

This would give users incentive to visit and vote for their own pics or pics that they like, and it would still give users at least some output for expression...

If this is too much of a pain in the *** to be a viable option, then how about returning the old gallery, sans titles/comments for the pics, and allow only preset comments with the ratings:

5: this car is beautiful

down to

1: this car hurts my eyes

Just some thoughts...

Last edited by pvmike1; 09-17-02 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-17-02, 08:41 PM
mr who
Lead Lap

i say stop trying to please the minority and be so diplomatic. open it up and let people express their views.

searching for info isnt that hard....even through pages of bs. and if it is...? you suck at the internet and should pick up a phone and get things explained to you 1 on 1. cause you clearly need to be walked through things.

and this whole "age" thing means nothing.... the only reason people behave a certain way here is because theyre forced to. like pvmike said, doing a lil flaming and reading someone getting flamed is fun. doesnt matter the age. its a distraction from a long, dull day. who wants to log onto to a long, dull website too?

hey static, were you raised in a real strict household? you obviously dont have to answer that....but if you were, that would explain a few things to me. place is run like a daycare for gods sake!! j/k
Old 09-17-02, 08:52 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by mr who
place is run like a daycare for gods sake!! j/k
based on some comments from some members, yes this place SHOULD be ran like a daycare, thanks for all those immature individuals
Old 09-17-02, 08:56 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about this? It's a private forum. The rules are posted, you abide by them. You don't like them, you leave. Personally I don't see anything wrong with that method.

Anything to cut down on costs and flaming is good. How about this, once a person is a paying member, then they have full right to complain, saying "I'm paying and not getting this..etc."

On that note, I don't see too many paying members complaining on this one...

This is of course, my opinion, and may not be the opinion of ClubLexus.

SR
Old 09-17-02, 08:59 PM
Static911

Well Mr. Who, thank you for stopping by ClubLexus. Obviously, you do not represent the majority on this board. I strongly urge you to reconsider checking this board if you find it so boring.

I don't think you have the statistics correct sir. It is only you and maybe about 20 other people on this board who find it boring due to the fact you like to have fun, but in a negative way. 21 of 8,000+ members is...let's see, .2%.

Most people on this board aren't young and have all the free time in the world. They do not want to sift through all the BS.

Yes, I do cater for those "Internet illiterate". What is wrong with that? I notice every other car forum flames the new people yet, in fact, they are still new to the Internet. Why is there always a "holier than thou" attitude from people who "know" how to use the Internet and a forum?

Now, you are saying I was grown up differenty than others? What does my childhood lifestyle have to do with running a website? So you're implying I'm a "narrow-minded idiot who tries to get deals for Lexus owners and I can't run my website the way I like because ClubLexus caters to 30-40 year olds?"

I opt to run this website that best suites Lexus owners, not 20-25 year old IS300 owner.

I highly suggest you stay on the other Lexus enthusiast website.

I suggest you get banned, but of course all the moderators have to agree first. J/K.

Ethan

Last edited by Static911; 09-17-02 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-17-02, 09:04 PM
JZS160 GS430
ClubLexus Paid Member

Originally posted by mr who
i say stop trying to please the minority and be so diplomatic. open it up and let people express their views.

searching for info isnt that hard....even through pages of bs. and if it is...? you suck at the internet and should pick up a phone and get things explained to you 1 on 1. cause you clearly need to be walked through things.

and this whole "age" thing means nothing.... the only reason people behave a certain way here is because theyre forced to. like pvmike said, doing a lil flaming and reading someone getting flamed is fun. doesnt matter the age. its a distraction from a long, dull day. who wants to log onto to a long, dull website too?

hey static, were you raised in a real strict household? you obviously dont have to answer that....but if you were, that would explain a few things to me. place is run like a daycare for gods sake!! j/k
To be, you obviously don't have the common knowledge of running an online community, let alone a geocities website. While you're still thinking that ClubLexus is clearly an enthusiast and hobby website and nothing more, that's when are wrong. If you weren't too naive to read other posts, it's very clear that Ethan is turning this website around.

While you're still in La La land and think every online community website should have no rules and what not, there are some people (actually one) who put time and hard-earned money into this website. Your one of the typical ricer idiots who think that flaming and seeing someone get flamed is fun (children ). You must have accessed ClubSI.com too much or something.

If you think that this is a dull website, then you are the one that is the minority because it seems you are one of the very few that seem to think this website as a dull website "that I don't want to access after a long day's of hardwork." You should be so priveleged to access a website after work where other Lexus owners can communicate with each other in a HUMANE way and not flaming everytime you open your mouth." I sure as hell don't. I view this website to be a learning opportunity as well as a chance to talk and later meet some of the members.

Your one to indirectly to attack the administrator (I wonder how he's going to say to that). I think that's pretty offensive by saying "hey static, were you raised in a real strict household? you obviously dont have to answer that....but if you were, that would explain a few things to me." I don't see other people opening up and attacking people's backgrounds, let alone yours.

You obviously have no sense of business, let alone how to deal with people in real life (I assume you're probably only...16 years old?).

No one is forcing you to be on ClubLexus. You didn't donate or make any contributions, therefore you don't have the right to complain. Since you sound like a typical moron that tries to open his mouth all the time, you do, however, deserve the right to shut your mouth.

If you don't like ClubLexus because you're not allowed to flame, then go back to ClubSI.com.

Last edited by JZS160 GS430; 09-17-02 at 09:07 PM.

Quick Reply: "not permitted to post comments" on Pic Gallery???