Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Chatbox

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 08:04 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Chatbox

So I recently PMed neurocity about if we can have a chatbox, and he said for me to post it here. So uhh, Dave, can we please please and pretty please have a chatbox on CL? It'll help a lot of members out when they needed instant help. Also it might help with lower a little bit of bandwidth because we have a lot of "how to do" questions and "what if" and "OMG what happened" questions
Old 11-03-11, 08:32 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,366 Posts

Hi, appreciate the idea, but probably not going to add one of those on CL. From my observation of their use on other forums that type of feature is pretty widely abused (not for help and how to, but for callouts and cursing).

It actually adds a fair bit more bandwidth than posts in the forums due to the real-time refresh nature.

If you've got a good example of them being helpful tools, I'll be glad to take a look but those I've seen on other forums I read are a hot mess.
Old 11-03-11, 11:36 AM
XxGoKoUxX

You don't have to waste bandwidth....

http://xat.com/web_gear/chat.php

they supply chatboxes for us. You could always give the chatbox a trial run. Nothing wrong with that, is it? CL is not filled with douchebags like in other forums you catch, so you never know

P.S. I'm always having these stupid questions in my head and I always hesitate because I feel like it's a waste of bandwidth, be nice to just ask around the chatbox to see if anyone has done it, or faced that problem or whatnot.
Old 11-03-11, 01:39 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,366 Posts

I don't think IB would want to link anywhere offsite (for a number of reasons, including privacy concerns), so would have to be something internal.

So got links to any auto communities that use this feature productively where it isn't abused? I still don't think this is going to be very valuable for anything other than OT chat, and that degrades pretty quickly on every forum chat plug in I've seen. Yes, we have our share of d-bags too.... just more heavily moderated on our forums than others.

PS, using search is an even easier way to get answers to stupid questions... 99% of the time the stupid question has been asked by someone else and answered many times

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-03-11 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-03-11, 07:34 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Thanks for the quick response Dave

Honestly I figured our community would have a better attitude lol. I guess not, on to better things
Old 11-04-11, 08:47 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some users post their Yahoo or AIM ID. You can always contact those member that way.
Attached Thumbnails Chatbox-screenshot.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-11, 01:19 AM
XxGoKoUxX

thanks TWong but not all of us are on our messenger services all the time hehehe