Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

I’m sure you’ve noticed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-02, 08:08 AM
SRQ400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face I’m sure you’ve noticed!

I’m sure you’ve noticed!
Are we the bad boys of CL?
We must be! We have more than twice as many moderators as and other model and it seems to be growing.
Zo gentlemen ve must behave. LOL
Old 12-18-02, 11:42 AM
ForNgoods
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well then there's only one thing to do.. go on the SC classified forum and cause trouble... the way i see it there's only one mod there. There's no way he can handle all of us! hehehe J/K i'll behave
Old 12-19-02, 07:12 AM
SRQ400
Pole Position

Lightbulb

Sorry, I hadn’t read the “Moderator question for sc section” before posting this one. Read it, there is some points to consider.
After reading it I was going to post this reply but tread closed.

Given Hermosa’s statement has value in that the abbreviations used here are not always discernable to the newbe or the uninformed. It seems to me that we need to compile a list of the abbreviations used and their definitions. And post them somewhere, as a sticky or drop down menu in the search mode. This might simplify problems for all of us. Just a thought!
Old 12-19-02, 03:17 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great idea, but who wants to do it? Static seems pretty busy.
Old 12-20-02, 01:03 AM
Miles B
Hyundai Driver

Well, I commented on the moderation in another thread, only to have that thread closed and I couldn't reply.............

Yes, I agree moderation is a good thing. I have been on unmoderated sites and they are a MESS. I thank moderators for giving up their time to keep the quality up. I just think there could be a little over-moderation going on. Take my opinion if you want, ignore it if you want....

Couple things....

Removal of direct link to ebay.. why? The guy was just showing a deal that had ALREADY closed... I thought he was just sharing a valuable observation with the rest of us? He wasn't promoting his own sale or anything.

The group buy thing... is this a commercial decision? Do you only want vendors who pay CL to be able to do GBs? What I mean is, there are all these Lexus owners here, who might want to organise a GB on some little item, and they are prevented from doing it... why? GBs are one of the greatest benefits I have ever seen on automotive fora, and preventing it from happening merely inconveniences and denies part of the value of the site. What if we decide we want to organise a GB on some $50 part, and one of us has a friend who sells it, and wants to organise a GB? Would it get deleted and the rest of us lose the opportunity?

Just my humble opinion. Take it or leave it.

And that last post of mine about it being unwise to post that? Well they are two entirely different things - anyone can see that. One was removing useful info, the other was me offering some advice saying "maybe its unwise for YOU" not "get it off for US".

I'm not a trouble maker and I'm not trying to stir this up, so if you ban me for this, it's your issue not mine. I've been on plnety of auto sites before and been one of the more valuable and higher posting re:technical people. I plan on TTing a 1UZ-FE, and wouldn't mind sharing the knowledge with the people here. If you don't want that, boot me.....

Last edited by Miles B; 12-20-02 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-20-02, 02:14 AM
Static911

Miles B,

I see you registered December 2002. Approximately 8 months to a year ago, group buys were abused. We tried to offer a service to verify. Unfortunately, no one even bothers using it. The activity rate of group buys is so insignificant, we just decided to allow only ClubLexus vendors to host them.

Anyone on ClubLexus can start a group buy. However, the "sponsor" of the group buy must be a ClubLexus vendors. For every vendor, I spend approximately 2-3 hours researching them. I go through 100 different car forums doing keyword searches. I ask approximately 5-10 person I know who works at the bigger import companies to inquire the reputation of the company wanting to advertise. This does not even mean they WANT to advertise; I want to make sure they are a reputable company to start with.

Hence, I know these ClubLexus vendors have the two qualities that ClubLexus requires: 1) they offer either quality products and 2) they offer superior customer service. If they lack one or the other, well, I don't allow them to advertise on ClubLexus. To date, I've rejected 5 companies based on point number 1 and 1 company based on point number 2 even though they outright said we will pay to advertise.

A subsidary point is a business point. Naturally, having an outgoing expense of $10,000/month does affect ClubLexus vendor policies. If someone is willing to pay this cost out of their good heart, well, let me know so I can revise the group buy policy.

As for ebay, this has been discusses numerous times via email. Initially, we were not allowing any ebay links because people WERE linking to THEIR auctions. Well, after 6 months of enforcing the no ebay rule, people have got the point to not post links to their own auctions.

Also, a member took the time to write a 3 page essay on why ClubLexus should allow ebay links. Because of THAT person who took the time to write a cohesive proposal on ebay links, ClubLexus will revise the policy. After some discussions, we met in the middle. All the moderators are informed of the policy since we have bi-montly online meetings and we discuss things in the moderator forum.

The middle ground was once everyone understood not to post links to their ebay links (you do not understand how many people DO NOT read the Classifieds guidelines), we will revise the ebay link. The implementation of the revised ebay rule will go in effect in approximately TWO (2) months.

As for the SC forum being bad, there are only a few members who continually want to push the edge of the ClubLexus rules.

Also, for awhile, this forum got a bit hairy as things were, as I called it, "spiraling out of control". There was subtle flaming as people knew NOT to outright flame or risk being banned. There was "small" fighting here and there. Hence, I personally got involved by being a moderator here on the SC forum. mylexussc300 and all the super moderators on ClubLexus are doing a great job. There will be a moderator of the year award and everyone gets a say. The members get 1/3, the moderators get 1/3 and I get 1/3. If there is a tie, the ClubLexus committee will decide the winner. You ask what is the prize? Most likely $500-$1,000 cash prize & a cool plaque.

Actually, would anyone like to see ClubLexus' partial business plan? I haven't even finished it because of all the day-to-day operations.

As I stated in the other thread, half of the moderators are over the age 30. Time = money. So, what else to recognize the moderator of the year award but cash (or maybe a prize equivalent to that amount...but it is up to the winner).

I already begun doing an FAQ for abbreviated words.

Otherwise, the SC forum is like any other ClubLexus forum. I was going to join you guys, but unfortunately, the money for my SC 300 project car went into another project. I can only continue dreaming about a 2JZ-GTE SC 300.

Ethan

Last edited by Static911; 12-20-02 at 02:57 AM.
Old 12-20-02, 03:09 AM
Miles B
Hyundai Driver

Thanks for the reply. I understand now. Under the circumstances, I think the removal of the ebay link was still a little overzealous, but hey, it's your game.

Could you move your post to the discussion thread about the new GB policy? I was looking for the explanation in there but couldn't find out why....

10 grand a month?? That's a lot of bandwidth.
Old 12-20-02, 03:25 AM
Static911

It's not just bandwidth. But there are other costs like printing stuff, paying people to gather information (people don't do things for free), etc.

Ethan