Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Contact links do not work

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-19, 06:54 AM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Contact links do not work

When one clicks on contact us at the bottom of the site you are sent to blank and when I try to go to about us page and email any of the editors same deal. I would like to make a suggestion as well, are we able to change classified back to how they were. The new format is not working, very few seem to be using it VS the past. You also see parts for other models even when filtered for you model....
Old 09-17-19, 08:55 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,337 Likes on 1,423 Posts

Hi, I'll pass the suggestion along but do not think it's likely to change back.

If there is an error you see please take a screen shot or give a link and tell us more about how it occurs so we can try to recreate and fix it. I suspect you see parts for other models where those sale ads have indicated they fit your model as well (maybe incorrectly).
Old 09-17-19, 10:19 AM
IB JT
IB Staff

Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by twizted
When one clicks on contact us at the bottom of the site you are sent to blank and when I try to go to about us page and email any of the editors same deal. I would like to make a suggestion as well, are we able to change classified back to how they were. The new format is not working, very few seem to be using it VS the past. You also see parts for other models even when filtered for you model....
Regarding the email contact concerns, do you have an email client installed on your computer? The links provided in the Contact Us as well as About Us are simple (and legacy) mail to links. They are recognized by the browser to open the email client, if one has installed, so that you can compose an email message. They are email addresses. Not sure what you mean by "sent to blank" but what does and doesn't happen is going to be specific to your computer depending upon if you have an email client installed or not and what program is set as default email client.

I reviewed the email links and they are correct. They trigger my email client to open up with the email address pre-filled so that I can compose an email message.

If you don't have an email client installed, you could copy/paste the email address into your web-based client to send an email by simply omitting the "mailto:" part of the email address.

There are two major ways (electronically) for viewers to contact a website and each website is different. Some provide a contact form that may or may not have a spam checker that the viewer must satisfy to prove they are not a spammer and some simply provide the email address so that viewers can contact the website with a direct email address method. Club Lexus does the latter.
Old 09-18-19, 10:54 AM
twizted
Instructor

[QUOTE=IB JT;10614432]

No email client installed, I clicked the email link in chrome as well as firefox it just opens a new browser window to the home page (see screenshots ). Does not display an email for me to even copy-paste, so that is what I was referring to. Had the same result on work and home pc. I can install a free email client and try that when I get home, but I usually tend to copy-paste the emails as most people don't use email clients that arent web-based these days.

Old 09-18-19, 10:58 AM
twizted
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Hi, I'll pass the suggestion along but do not think it's likely to change back.

If there is an error you see please take a screen shot or give a link and tell us more about how it occurs so we can try to recreate and fix it. I suspect you see parts for other models where those sale ads have indicated they fit your model as well (maybe incorrectly).
Often get parts coming up for IS's and such when filtering SC. The big thing is though their arent many listing period now. There used to be many put up on old format but seem no one wanted to bother with the new one. Just saying, Do you have any analytics to posts before and after or how many have browsed those section vs before by chance?
Old 09-18-19, 11:23 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Can you post an example link of one you think is incorrect?

Unfortunately no, don’t have analytics at that level
Old 09-18-19, 11:32 AM
twizted
Instructor

Can you post an example link of one you think is incorrect?

Unfortunately no, don’t have analytics at that level

Old 09-18-19, 11:34 AM
IB JT
IB Staff

Received 63 Likes on 57 Posts

What you're showing is an issue with your environment and not with the website. You will find that other websites that simply provides an email address as a contact method will results in the same.

Just as you can configure what program (if any) opens a local PDF, JPG, MOV, etc., file on your computer, you can also configure what program is used by default for mailto links. It appears to me yours is set incorrectly by some mistake. The reason why you receive the same results on the computer between two different browsers is, again, because the mailto link acts as an instruction to the browsers to open the computer's default email client. That's why the results are the same between browsers. The problem is, as you say, you don't have any email client installed. On top of that, it appears yours is set incorrectly.

Prior to the usage of online forms and spam on the Internet, email addresses using the mailto link was the standard way to provide contact method to visitors.

You can hover over the link and find the email address. Simply omit the "mailto:" part. Below shows Chrome. In the lower left corner of the status bar shows the "mailto:" link where you can find the email address when you hover over the links.

Originally Posted by twizted

No email client installed, I clicked the email link in chrome as well as firefox it just opens a new browser window to the home page (see screenshots ). Does not display an email for me to even copy-paste, so that is what I was referring to. Had the same result on work and home pc. I can install a free email client and try that when I get home, but I usually tend to copy-paste the emails as most people don't use email clients that arent web-based these days.

Old 09-18-19, 11:40 AM
twizted
Instructor

Originally Posted by IB JT
What you're showing is an issue with your environment and not with the website. You will find that other websites that simply provides an email address as a contact method will results in the same.

Just as you can configure what program (if any) opens a local PDF, JPG, MOV, etc., file on your computer, you can also configure what program is used by default for mailto links. It appears to me yours is set incorrectly by some mistake. The reason why you receive the same results on the computer between two different browsers is, again, because the mailto link acts as an instruction to the browsers to open the computer's default email client. That's why the results are the same between browsers. The problem is, as you say, you don't have any email client installed. On top of that, it appears yours is set incorrectly.

Prior to the usage of online forms and spam on the Internet, email addresses using the mailto link was the standard way to provide contact method to visitors.

You can hover over the link and find the email address. Simply omit the "mailto:" part. Below shows Chrome. In the lower left corner of the status bar shows the "mailto:" link where you can find the email address when you hover over the links.

Ok, Gotcha. Thanks
Old 09-18-19, 12:25 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

So with all those examples highlighted above the member posting created the problem; the marketplace is working correctly. The advantage is that there are a ton of parts that are interchangeable across models that are easier to view.

The disadvantage is when people post they pick 'any model' as in the first two you highlighted, or if they pick models that they don't apply to (images below from the listings).
From the first two (I edited both of them to correct)

From the blackwood interior, however he is selling parts for both a SC300/400 and SC430 in that same sale thread which is why he clicked them all. Probably easier to do sep listings.

Same thing happened pretty regularly with the old broken out classifieds as well where folks cross posted or picked the wrong forums.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-18-19 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-18-19, 01:06 PM
twizted
Instructor

So with all those examples highlighted above the member posting created the problem; the marketplace is working correctly. The advantage is that there are a ton of parts that are interchangeable across models that are easier to view.

The disadvantage is when people post they pick 'any model' as in the first two you highlighted, or if they pick models that they don't apply to (images below from the listings).
From the first two (I edited both of them to correct)

From the blackwood interior, however he is selling parts for both a SC300/400 and SC430 in that same sale thread which is why he clicked them all. Probably easier to do sep listings.

Same thing happened pretty regularly with the old broken out classifieds as well where folks cross posted or picked the wrong forums.
I was not aware that there were that many cross-listings on the old. I am coming back to this after a few year hiatus and seems so bare.